• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Ramp, landing and handrails

tbz

Silver Member
Have a client which hired a DP to make the front entry fire egress compliant and ADA. This is a daycare facility / kids pre-school.

The reason for may post and questions you will see in the pic's below, we have been requested to provide a quote and budget for the handrails for this project.

I will start with that the church owns the property, but rents to a tenant who runs a day/care/pre-school not affilitated with the church.

1.) my first question is that the picture of the bottom of the ramp ends at a landing, which requires curbing for roll off protection, the client has elected to continue the handrails along the landing to act as the curbing, but has requested the handrails stop prior to descending down from the landing to the parking lot.

The lower ramp/walkway from the landing to the parking lot exceeds 1:20, is exactly 36.5" wide and does not have a full slope side cut to the parking drain.

Do you see anything wrong with this layout? Are foot feelers required in the concrete here or only on public streets curb cuts? Is this small ramp a curb cut ramp or a traditional ramp requiring handrails?

er-ramp1.jpg

Next the picture below shows the top of the ramp, but to the right of the ramp are the old handrails which they are not changing, I noted these handrails do not comply with ADA, however it is church property rented out, do the handrails also need to be changed to comply?

er-ramp2.jpg

I will also take input on any other things you see jumping out at you.

Thanks

I don't believe the lower ramp to the parking lot requires handrails. There is also another recent accessibility forum post on when DWP are required by ANSI A117.1. I will see if I can locate that thread and post the link. I would recommend having that lower ramp meet the correct slope. I am not sure what site constraints you have, but perhaps the ramp and landing could switch back along the curb (an in-line ramp), prior to the divine statuary, and come to a landing from which to cross the parking lot.

edited response: landing should be increased for change in direction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Papio,

Here is a better site picture the painted crosswalk lines up with the current curb cut.

Main ramp and landings are 60" wide, the lower landing is 75" long from base of ramp to end

The lower ramp is 38" long from landing to parking lot and drops 4"+/-

er.jpg

Papio,

When you say increase the landing, are you saying move the drain or take the landing past the drain?

To add to this, the ramp was initiated by the fire department for exiting cribs with kids in them out of the building during an emergency.

Thus doing the reno ADA was also added in.

I guess I am looking for responses would you accept this ramp with handrails and not require handrails on lower.

Mark, are you out there?

The storm drain grate located next to the termination of the ramp should be addressed since it is in such close proximity to the ramp/curb cut.

Don't have the codes at the moment but I thought you had to have a ramp height of 6" before handrails are required. What is the elevation difference?

I noted these handrails do not comply with ADA, however it is church property rented out, do the handrails also need to be changed to comply?
They "need' to be changed but I don't they are "required" to be changed.

Is the day care a change of use?

MT,

Thanks forgot all about the 6" trigger requirement.

The one thing that gets me with this design is the storm drain in the parking lot, all the water is heading right for the bottom of the ramp when it rains, I am not sure what the architect was thinking or if it was even a thought.

As to the change in use, this was a school at one point run by the church, I believe it closed and the day/care company rented the facility. So if private primary school is a change in use to pre-school I don't think so, but then again I am not an expert on defining use groups.

1010.7.2 Outdoor conditions.

Outdoor ramps and outdoor approaches to ramps shall be designed so that water will not accumulate on walking surfaces.

Hope it drains well

What about the 4" edge protection that is missing along the bottom on the sides of the ramp and landings (2009 IBC section 1010.9)? Handrails are not required on 6" max rise between landings.

MT,

Thanks for the section

Glenn,

The handrails will continue along the lower landing and over to the top of the lower ramp and will serve as the curb, I don't have my A117.1 handy, somewhere on the desk or bookcase, but are ramps under 6 required to have the curbing?

mtlogcabin said:
They "need' to be changed but I don't they are "required" to be changed. Is the day care a change of use?
If it falls under ADA Title III, then both Owner and tenant are obligated to remove architectural barriers.

brudgers said:
If it falls under ADA Title III, then both Owner and tenant are obligated to remove architectural barriers.
Is a handrail without extensions a "barrier"?

My thought under the building code, not ADA since we can't enforce it, was the 20% rule would not appy in this case because all the inprovement cost are related to improving accessibility. Therefore how would you require compliant handrails be installed under the I-Codes?

tbz said:
Mark, are you out there?
Sorry been in airports and airplanes all day.

What code are we dealing with?

The lower ramp is a curb ramp, some codes and the current ADAAG require domes. curb ramps do not need handrails.

Curb ramps that force users to cross storm drain water and inlets present risks to pedestrians and wheelers. The grates covering such inlets can catch the casters of wheelchairs or the tips of canes and walkers, causing falls and injuries. Water at the base of curb ramps can obscure the transition from the ramp to the gutter and cause pedestrians to misjudge the terrain.Puddles at the base of curb ramps can also freeze and cause users to slip. Locating drain inlets uphill from curb ramps will reduce the amount of water that collects at the base.

The upper ramp is a pedestrian ramp. It requires handrails with extentions, you can extend the rails to the curb ramp, but you will still need extentions

In addition to the rails, you will need a wheel stop along the ramp to prevent wheels, canes and walkers from the edge

There is no way fron the photos to tell if the slope or landings comply

mtlogcabin said:
Is a handrail without extensions a "barrier"? My thought under the building code, not ADA since we can't enforce it, was the 20% rule would not appy in this case because all the inprovement cost are related to improving accessibility. Therefore how would you require compliant handrails be installed under the I-Codes?
For an architect, requirements go beyond the building code.

Handrails and stairs do not comply

Handrails do not have extensions, handrails are not graspable, the stair tread lip is a trip hazard.

cannot tell if the treads have contrasting stripping

cannot tell from photo is riser and treads comply

mark handler said:
Sorry been in airports and airplanes all day.What code are we dealing with?

The lower ramp is a curb ramp, some codes and the current ADAAG require domes. curb ramps do not need handrails.

Curb ramps that force users to cross storm drain water and inlets present risks to pedestrians and wheelers. The grates covering such inlets can catch the casters of wheelchairs or the tips of canes and walkers, causing falls and injuries. Water at the base of curb ramps can obscure the transition from the ramp to the gutter and cause pedestrians to misjudge the terrain.Puddles at the base of curb ramps can also freeze and cause users to slip. Locating drain inlets uphill from curb ramps will reduce the amount of water that collects at the base.

The upper ramp is a pedestrian ramp. It requires handrails with extentions, you can extend the rails to the curb ramp, but you will still need extentions

In addition to the rails, you will need a wheel stop along the ramp to prevent wheels, canes and walkers from the edge

There is no way fron the photos to tell if the slope or landings comply
The main ramp and landings comply with all requirements, the concern I have is with the small ramp at the bottom & the stairs.

Codes (2009 IBC NJ & ANSI A117.1 2003) project also to cover ADA

To recap your notes with my questions:

Ramp

1.) The small ramp is a curb cut ramp (yes)

2.) The small ramp does not need handrails (correct)

3.) The small ramp does require side curbing (yes/no)?

4.) If the handrails are installed on the lower ramp then the handrails are required to extend in to the parking lot with extensions (yes/no)?

Stairs (which are currently not part of the project)

1.) Tread and riser 7 on 12

2.) has 3/4" to 1" lip

3.) does the 2010 ADA require the stairs have contrasting lines at the edge?

4.) The handrails are wrong for more than just the ADA, but, my question is since church owned because it's use is for income to a business, the church's exemption from requirement is removed, correct (yes/no)

tbz said:
The main ramp and landings comply with all requirements, the concern I have is with the small ramp at the bottom & the stairs.Codes (2009 IBC NJ & ANSI A117.1 2003) project also to cover ADA
I do not agree that your ramp landings are compliant with ANSI A117.1-2003 Section 405.7.4 for change in direction. Ramps that change direction at ramp landings shall be sized to provide a turning space complying with Section 304.3. (Refer to Fig. 405.7(b)) Your landing, at a minimum should be 60 x 60 for a change in direction.

tbz said:
To recap your notes with my questions:Ramp

1.) The small ramp is a curb cut ramp (yes)

2.) The small ramp does not need handrails (correct)
I agree
tbz said:
3.) The small ramp does require side curbing (yes/no)?
Not required where flares or maximum grade slope of .5":10" is provided per 405.9 Exception 1 & 3 as well as 405.9.1 for Extended Floor Surface.
tbz said:
4.) If the handrails are installed on the lower ramp then the handrails are required to extend in to the parking lot with extensions (yes/no)?
406.9 notes that handrails are not required for curb ramps and has no when/where provided statement. I would say no. The section also demonstrates an intent to keep as many elements of a curb ramp out of the parking and traffic lanes.
tbz said:
Stairs (which are currently not part of the project)1.) Tread and riser 7 on 12

2.) has 3/4" to 1" lip
tbz said:
3.) does the 2010 ADA require the stairs have contrasting lines at the edge?
I am not familiar with this section.
tbz said:
4.) The handrails are wrong for more than just the ADA, but, my question is since church owned because it's use is for income to a business, the church's exemption from requirement is removed, correct (yes/no)
I would tend to agree, but I will defer to those with more experience.

mark handler said:
TBZ...again, from what I can see, I would recommend either a switch back design where the landing preceeds the statuary/pole (curb-pins would be needed to keep car overhangs from damaging guard rail), however given your site contraints, perhaps extending the landing at the bottom of the pedestrian ramp as a sidewalk until you are well past the storm inlet which would maintain clearance between parked car overhangs and alleviate the drainage issues that Mark mentioned might be a better and more economical solution at this point (this would also allow you to meet the correct running slope on your curb ramp which you currently noted is non-compliant).

ADAAG 504.5 Nosings. The radius of curvature at the leading edge of the tread shall be 1/2 inch (13 mm) maximum. Nosings that project beyond risers shall have the underside of the leading edge curved or beveled. Risers shall be permitted to slope under the tread at an angle of 30 degrees maximum from vertical. The permitted projection of the nosing shall extend 1 1/2 inches (38 mm) maximum over the tread below.

ADAAG Advisory 504.4 Tread Surface. Consider providing visual contrast on tread nosings, or at the leading edges of treads without nosings, so that stair treads are more visible for people with low vision

images

504.5 Nosings.

The radius of curvature at the leading edge of the tread shall be ½ inch (13 mm) maximum. Nosings that project beyond risers shall have the underside of the leading edge curved or beveled. Risers shall be permitted to slope under the tread at an angle of 30 degrees maximum from vertical. The permitted projection of the nosing shall be 1½ inches (38 mm) maximum over the tread or floor below. The leading 2 inches (51 mm) of the tread shall have visual contrast of dark-on-light or light-on-dark from the remainder of the tread.

ICC/ANSI A117.1

Nosing dimensions are important to smooth, stable stairway usage. On descent, an excessively beveled nosing can reduce the available tread depth to the extent that this may cause the foot to pitch forward or slide off the tread. On ascent, these criteria minimize the potential for the toe of a shoe to catch and be held by the underside of the tread above (see commentary Figure C504.5).

The intent of the striping is to allow persons with visual impairments to identify the forward edge or each tread and landing. The change from the level walking surface to steps may be a tripping hazard for persons with visual impairments.

05-05.jpg

ANSI 117.1 405.7 Landings.

Ramps shall have landings at bottom and top of each ramp run. Landings shall comply with Section 405.7.

ICCA2008102312370331602.jpg