• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Restroom = Occupiable Space???

Gregg Harris said:
Start with 403.4 Exhaust ventilation. The bathrooms require exhaust, interment or continuous according to 406.3 based on fixtures.
mtlogcabin said:
309.1 is a requirement for human occupancy not human activities.I would defer to the IBC that a rest room is not intended for "human occupancy" and agree heated make up air is not required.
Second!

401.2 Ventilation required. Every occupied space shall be ventilated by natural means in accordance with Section 402 or by mechanical means in accordance with Section 403.

402 allow a window to provide the minimum amount of fresh air; it can be total outside air IMO.

403 list exhaust & ventilation for public toilet or restrooms including minimum outdoor air.

Whether you want to use the IBC or IMC the heating requirements are the same; temperature measurement taken at a point 3 ft. above the floor from a wall heater:

309.1 Space-heating systems. Interior spaces intended for human occupancy shall be provided with active or passive space-heating systems capable of maintaining a minimum indoor temperature of 68°F (20°C) at a point 3 feet (914 mm) above floor on the design heating day.

1204.1 Equipment and systems. Interior spaces intended for human occupancy shall be provided with active or passive space-heating systems capable of maintaining a minimum indoor temperature of 68°F (20°C) at a point 3 feet (914 mm) above the floor on the design heating day.

Francis

I think we need Bill Clinton to clear this up.

For it depends upon your definition of what the word is is?

It should not counts toward occupant load, but it does need to be ventilated.

Better question.

Does a Toilet Room, WC and hand lav. only, require exhaust ventilation?

IBC 1203.4.2.1 2012

Just seems like I am missing somthing here.

Fritz

Fritz said:
Better question.Does a Toilet Room, WC and hand lav. only, require exhaust ventilation?

IBC 1203.4.2.1 2012

Just seems like I am missing somthing here.

Fritz
Yes it does. IMC section 403.3. Table 403.3 specifically lists toilet rooms as requiring exhaust

Yankee said:
I contend that a bathroom IS occupiable space. It IS NOT habitable space.
i agree. The more restrictive would apply and I believe the intent is to provide a controlled temperature inside the thermal envelope.

I do understand the mechanical code table. I am just use to the building code driving when something is required.

it then directs you to which ever code (IMC) addresses the design, how and where to install the equipment.

The building code, by lack of inclusion, does not address ventilation requirements for just a toilet room.

OK, who would want one that way? The designer who proposes the recirculating fan. Which no longer

has a valid research report.

Just because one code does not address an item does not mean it can be ignored in another code that is adopted. There are other discrepancies between the IMC and the IBC as well. Drywall is not considered a combustible in the IBC, but it is in the IMC. BTW, this is coming from the point of view of someone who enforces the IMC/IFGC only.

Fritz said:
I do understand the mechanical code table. I am just use to the building code driving when something is required.it then directs you to which ever code (IMC) addresses the design, how and where to install the equipment.

The building code, by lack of inclusion, does not address ventilation requirements for just a toilet room.

OK, who would want one that way? The designer who proposes the recirculating fan. Which no longer

has a valid research report.
I had not ever consider this would be an issue and did not realized until Fritz mentioned this that Chapter 28 refers to IMC.

I took for granted that it was because Virginia included the Table and the heating requirements in Chapter 28; what a surprise!

Add Section 2801.1.2 to the IBC to read:

2801.1.2 Required heating in nonresidential structures.

Heating facilities shall be required in every enclose doccupied space in nonresidential structures. The heating facilities shall be capable of producing sufficient heat during the period from October 1 to May 15 to maintain a temperature of not less than 65°F (18°C) during all working hours. The required room temperature shall be measured at a point three feet (914 mm) above the floor and three feet (914mm) from the exterior walls.

Processing, storage and operation areas that require cooling or special temperature conditions and areas in which persons are primarily engaged in vigorous physical activities are exempt from these requirements.

Francis

I'm going to resurrect this thread, from a slightly different approach. I've seen public restrooms and shower rooms at the beach, at campgrounds, and in kiosks in urban settings that do not have space heating.

IBC 1204. mentions "human occupancy", and we've debated that. But is also has exception #1 that does nto require heating: "Interior spaces where the primary purpose is not associated with human comfort".

In one sense, you could say that a toilet is all about human comfort. But for public toilets and showers, they're really all about sanitation. In fact, the municipalities seem to be working hard to make the toilets NOT relaxing or comfortable, so people who are homeless won't use them as shelters.

Why Portland's Public Toilets Succeeded Where Others Failed - John Metcalfe - The Atlantic Cities

I currently have a client who is providing toilets and showers for their homeless population. They DON'T want the rooms to be a hang-out place. They would prefer not to heat the rooms at all, except to keep pipes from freezing (a rare occurence - - this is metropolitan Los Angeles).

What say you?