• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Retrofit ceiling/ floor for ADU

J2architect

Sawhorse
We have a 2 story type V building with 2 apartment units on the 2nd floor and we are converting an existing storage space on the 1st floor into an ADU. how do you retrofit the floor between units to comply with the 1 hour fire rating and 50 stc requirement without having to tear out the finish floor on the upper units? Is there a UL or certified testing number we can use to respond to the plan check comment?

Well then I learned something new today. I didn't know that an apartment building is fair game for an ADU. Are you within the city of Whittier or the unincorporated part of Whittier?

GA FILE NO. FC 5120

Last edited:
FIND A TESTED ASSEMBLY THAT IS CONSISTENT WITH THE FRAMING AND HAVE THE ALTER THE CONSTRUCTION TO MATCH

1601326089080.png

AN ARCHITECT SHOULD KNOW THIS STUFF....

Well then I learned something new today. I didn't know that an apartment building is fair game for an ADU. Are you within the city of Whittier or the unincorporated part of Whittier?
AS OF JANUARY 2020

We have a 2 story type V building with 2 apartment units on the 2nd floor and we are converting an existing storage space on the 1st floor into an ADU. how do you retrofit the floor between units to comply with the 1 hour fire rating and 50 stc requirement without having to tear out the finish floor on the upper units? Is there a UL or certified testing number we can use to respond to the plan check comment?

Welcome !!!!

Took you long enough to formulate a question

Build

Build a one hour ceiling on 1st floor

If you can reference IBC, try a calculated approach

GA FILE NO. FC 5120

I am within the city but this applies throughout California. Thank you for the GA file, but this applies to new construction, do you know if there is another method for existing floor/ ceiling to be retrofitted from the underside?

I am within the city but this applies throughout California. Thank you for the GA file, but this applies to new construction, do you know if there is another method for existing floor/ ceiling to be retrofitted from the underside?

Besides the sound you only need one hour rating??

Densglass shaftliner or similar or once again IBC and calculate it

Read thru this and see if any help

Read thru this and see if any help

Thank you for the suggestion. I am running into the same issue as he did. Trying to find an existing assembly that meets the stc 50 requirement.

Sorry I know nothing about stc 50, but if you make your own sandwich of some type using this

TABLE 721.2.1.4(2)
TIME ASSIGNED TO FINISH MATERIALS ON FIRE-EXPOSED SIDE OF WALL

And sound material to get stc 50???????????

Gypsum Association GA-610-02 discusses membrane protection for existing unrated assemblies. It might no longer be available.

Gypsum Association GA-600-2018 Fire Resistance and Sound Control Design Manual has the most current listing of rated assemblies. The 2012 edition can be viewed on-line:

Thank you for the suggestion. I am running into the same issue as he did. Trying to find an existing assembly that meets the stc 50 requirement.
You can always field test the assembly after construction rather than rely on an existing tested assembly for sound. The advantage is they give you an extra 5db allowable, The disadvantage is, if it doesn't pass you are left with fixing it to comply.

Try Kinetics IsoMax or equal "resilient sound isolation clips" and hat channels (RSIC-1). UL Design No. L583 (two layers 5/8" type X drywall for 1 hr.)