• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Roofing code questions (before I get embarrassed asking the building inspector)

I'm a little baffled by this to be honest. I went looking at nail heads on job sites expecting to find similar problems but I haven't found anything like you're describing. Granted I'm not using calipers, just a standard tap measure, but on every jobsite I've checked since the beginning of this thread they all measure 3/8" and look like the standard roof nails I'd expect to see. Possibly a regional thing? Anybody else find smaller than expected roofing nails?

Times change and with them manufacturing standards and experienced installers and inspectors.
Are you in a high wind area?

Times change and with them manufacturing standards and experienced installers and inspectors.
Are you in a high wind area?
I'm not sure if you're addressing me or the OP but our design criteria here is listed at 85mph, and I think the highest recorded windspeed (recorded in our neighbor city) was under 70: "In Eureka, the fastest recorded wind speed ever was 69 mph on two occasions in 1981, according to online NWS records last updated in March 2014." I don't have enough experience to know if that makes us a high wind area or not, but when I hear about what some other states face with tornadoes and hurricanes I would say no.

We have a local policy to not allow 3 tab shingles. The wind here can get up 100+mph. most 3 tabs are only rated for 60mph. If you read the ASTM for them you will find that they have to be 6 nailed and 2 dabs of tar on each tab to meet the rating. Don't know anybody that will install them that way. The BO official didn't either thus the policy.

I've checked a few here and didn't see any issues with smaller heads being used.

Have bigger issues with portal strap nailing or lack of!