• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Single Exit from A2 Occupied Roof via Exterior Exit Stair Discharging at Grade

I realize your question is about a single exit, but.....................I am not sure what code's your under and or the size of the A2 occupancy on the accessible floor, but the size of the rooftop area will need to be less than 25% of the A2 to eliminate the elevator requirement.

2010 ADA 206.2.5 Restaurants and Cafeterias. In restaurants and cafeterias, an accessible route
shall be provided to all dining areas, including raised or sunken dining areas, and outdoor dining
areas.

EXCEPTIONS:

1. In buildings or facilities not required to provide an accessible route between stories, an
accessible route shall not be required to a mezzanine dining area where the mezzanine contains less
than 25 percent of the total combined area for seating and dining and where the same decor and
services are provided in the accessible area.

2018 IBC eliminates the 3,000 sf elevator exception thru 1108.2.9 exc 2. see 1104.4 exc 2.

I realize your question is about a single exit, but.....................I am not sure what code's your under and or the size of the A2 occupancy on the accessible floor, but the size of the rooftop area will need to be less than 25% of the A2 to eliminate the elevator requirement.

2010 ADA 206.2.5 Restaurants and Cafeterias. In restaurants and cafeterias, an accessible route
shall be provided to all dining areas, including raised or sunken dining areas, and outdoor dining
areas.

EXCEPTIONS:

1. In buildings or facilities not required to provide an accessible route between stories, an
accessible route shall not be required to a mezzanine dining area where the mezzanine contains less
than 25 percent of the total combined area for seating and dining and where the same decor and
services are provided in the accessible area.

2018 IBC eliminates the 3,000 sf elevator exception thru 1108.2.9 exc 2. see 1104.4 exc 2.
We are under 2015 so accessibility isn't a concern.

The same code sections are in the 15 IBC
You said IBC 2018 eliminates elevator exemption, so it isn't the same as 2015 as we meet the elevator exemption. Accessibility isn't the issue and that isn't disputed.

You said IBC 2018 eliminates elevator exemption, so it isn't the same as 2015 as we meet the elevator exemption. Accessibility isn't the issue and that isn't disputed.
That is what I am telling you. You do not meet the exemption if your rooftop level dining is more than 25% of the area of the ground floor dining area. The same code path is in effect 2015 or 2018. You do not need to provide an elevator. you just need to limit the area of rooftop dining to less than 25% of the accessible dining.

2015 IBC eliminates the 3,000 sf elevator exception thru 1108.2.9 exc 2. see 1104.4 exc 2.

The rooftop dining is less than 25% of the ground level dining. This is not an issue and not disputed by the AHJ.

I am not sure if I am missing something obvious, or maybe misunderstanding some of the definitions.
The stairway that was described, sounds to me like it would be considered an exit access stairway (1019) with an exit/exit discharge located at the bottom of the stair. Since the exit access distance was measured along the stair and is within the allowable distances, it seems to me you meet the exiting requirements.

I am not sure if I am missing something obvious, or maybe misunderstanding some of the definitions.
The stairway that was described, sounds to me like it would be considered an exit access stairway (1019) with an exit/exit discharge located at the bottom of the stair. Since the exit access distance was measured along the stair and is within the allowable distances, it seems to me you meet the exiting requirements.
It's not exit access it is an exit.

1022.1General.​

Exits shall comply with Sections 1022 through 1027 and the applicable requirements of Sections 1003 through 1015.

SECTION1027
EXTERIOR EXIT STAIRWAYS AND RAMPS​

Exterior exit stairways are an exit. Once you're on the stairs you are in an exit. The exit must discharge per 1028.

Our initial post clarifies it is an 'exterior exit stair' and thus considered an 'exit.' An exit access stairway has less protection- while I'm not sure if that would meet the code, I know the AHJ would not accept it as they won't even accept an 'exterior exit stair'.

The rooftop dining is less than 25% of the ground level dining. This is not an issue and not disputed by the AHJ.
seems like beating a dead horse, but how does a 1600 SF building have 2800 SF of ground floor dining to allow a 700 SF rooftop dining area? I would be concerned the AHJ has just not found the proper code section yet and once they do your going to have issues. something does not add up

It's not exit access it is an exit.

1022.1General.​

Exits shall comply with Sections 1022 through 1027 and the applicable requirements of Sections 1003 through 1015.

SECTION1027​

EXTERIOR EXIT STAIRWAYS AND RAMPS​

Exterior exit stairways are an exit. Once you're on the stairs you are in an exit. The exit must discharge per 1028.
This is correct.
seems like beating a dead horse, but how does a 1600 SF building have 2800 SF of ground floor dining to allow a 700 SF rooftop dining area? I would be concerned the AHJ has just not found the proper code section yet and once they do your going to have issues. something does not add
It is beating a dead horse- it's not what this discussion thread is about nor does the AHJ have issue with it. There is exterior dining not inside the building that is accessible. There are a lot of other particularities about this project as well that I did not explain in the OP because they are also irrelevant to the issue of the single exit from the occupied roof.

I'm following up here in case anyone is interested in any further info we've acquired. We are doing an appeal / offering life safety equivalencies for the particular project in question as they ultimately wanted to interpret as B occupancy (A-2 less than 50) which would limit to 29 occupants, but we had capacity for 43.

1006.3.2 Single Exits

A single exit or access to a single exit shall be permitted from any story or occupied roof where one of the following conditions exists:
  1. The occupant load, number of dwelling units and common path of egress travel distance does not exceed the values in Table 1006.3.2(1) or 1006.3.2(2).
  2. Rooms, areas and spaces complying with Section 1006.2.1 with exits that discharge directly to the exterior at the level of exit discharge, are permitted to have one exit or access to a single exit.
We ended up agreeing with the AHJ that our differences in interpretation came down to this phrase: ' exits that discharge directly to the exterior at the level of exit discharge'

They interpreted it as meaning only exterior exit doors were permitted; meaning that the occupied space must be at the level of exit discharge and thus an occupied roof would not be acceptable. We challenged that our exterior exit stair was a code defined exit and discharged directly at the exterior at the level of exit discharge as the language does not stipulate that one must enter the exit also at the level of exit discharge.

We ended up reading all the code commentary for 2015 and 2012; frankly it didn't really make anything more clear and there were several errors with references in the 2015 commentary to code sections from 2009-2012 editions that were substantially changed in 2015 so it didn't totally follow. There is a code commentary example of a mezzanine in a tenant suite cited as being compliant per 1006.3.2.2 as well, which was a good case for vertical travel being permissible.

We read through 2009 and 2006 comparable code sections, and found a highly explicit bit of language in 2006 that is much clearer, though they consistently refer to entire buildings rather than just stories or spaces: 2006 IBC 1019.2.3 'Single-level buildings with the occupied space at the level of exit discharge...'(are permitted to have only one exit). We felt it was noteworthy that 'occupied space at the level of exit discharge' was removed from later versions of the code.

Our home jurisdiction uses NFPA 101 in addition to IBC, so we are very familiar with it and with the single exit criteria from upper levels. We referenced some similar past projects that were permitted under our home AHJ and cited NFPA 101 single exit criteria. We found some language in those code sections that is quite similar to IBC and uses the phrase 'exits that discharge directly to the exterior' but gives requirements for stairs- implying that NFPA 101's interpretation of the phrase in 1006.3.2.2 matches ours- meaning that vertical travel within exits is permitted.

NFPA 101 38.2.4.4
Any business occupancy three or fewer stroies in height, and not exceeding an occupant load of 30 people per story, shall be permitted a single separate exit to each story provided that all fo the following criteria are met:
(1) The exit shall discharge directly to the outside.
(2) The total travel distance to the outside of the building shall not exceed 100'.
(3) The exit shall be enclosed in accordance with 7.1.3.2 and both of the following shall also apply:
(a) The stair shall serve as an exit from no other stories
(b) A single outside stair in accordance with 7.2.2 shall be permitted to serve all stories.