• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Small assembly spaces - fire partition required?

KenH

SAWHORSE
Hi, this is my first post but I frequently search this site and have found a lot of helpful info. I've done some searching but haven't come across anything. I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Sorry if this is a stupid question...

We're working on an old multi-family building (R-2, I-B construction) in Virginia. It has an existing community room that would be Assembly Group A, however it meets the criteria of IBC 303.1.2 Small Assembly Spaces. It's less than 750 sf and the occupancy is less than 50. We want to add some glazing along the existing corridor wall and I'm struggling to determine what level of fire resistance (or fire protection rating) is required, if any.

303.1.2 Small assembly spaces

The following rooms and spaces shall not be classified as Assembly occupancies:

1. A room or space used for assembly purposes with an occupant load of less than 50 persons and accessory to another occupancy shall be classified as a Group B occupancy or as part of that occupancy.
  2. A room or space used for assembly purposes that is less than 750 square feet (70 m2) in area and accessory to another occupancy shall be classified as a Group B occupancy or as part of that occupancy.
So, my understanding is that community room can be considered an accessory to the R-2 use group, and therefore is considered Group B or part of that (R-2) occupancy. Am I incorrect in thinking that the space can be considered R-2, and therefore no separation is required between this community room and the rest of the building per table 508.4? I must be missing something.

Thanks in advance,
Ken

You are correct in that it can be considered either Group B or Group R-2. In corridors serving a Group R, the corridor is required to have fire partitions with a 30-minute rating at minimum and 1-hour maximum (the latter being required if there is no sprinkler system in the existing building). This would require glazing having either a 20-minute or 45-minute fire protection rating, respectively.

Ron, Thanks for weighing in and pointing me to the corridor requirement that I was missing. The building does have a sprinkler system, so 20 minute glazing. It also needs to meet the hose stream test per table 716.3(1), correct?

Thanks again,
KH

Ron, Thanks for weighing in and pointing me to the corridor requirement that I was missing. The building does have a sprinkler system, so 20 minute glazing. It also needs to meet the hose stream test per table 716.3(1), correct?

Thanks again,
KH
I assume you mean Table 716.1(3). Yes, hose stream test required.