• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Smoke Alarms

Okay so let's drag this out some more. If I build an attached garage to my house and have no communication to the house, then do I need a smoke detector there?

Are they asking for

Battery operated

Or

Hard wired

Or

Hard wired interconnected ???

cda said:
Are they asking forBattery operated

Or

Hard wired

Or

Hard wired interconnected ???
Hard wired and interconnected in the new addition. This basement area to the bedroom area above.

This might be how it reads;;;

R314.3 Location. Smoke alarms shall be installed in the following locations:

1. In each sleeping room.

2. Outside each separate sleeping area in the immediate vicinity of the bedrooms.

3. On each additional story of the dwelling, including basements and habitable attics but not including crawl spaces and uninhabitable attics. In dwellings or dwelling units with split levels and without an intervening door between the adjacent levels, a smoke alarm installed on the upper level shall suffice for the adjacent lower level provided that the lower level is less than one full story below the upper level.

When more than one smoke alarm is required to be installed within an individual dwelling unit the alarm devices shall be interconnected in such a manner that the actuation of one alarm will activate all of the alarms in the individual unit.

You can ask the indpector for the section he is cursing for the requirement .

Than look at it to see how it reads and than discuss it with him if you feel he is reading it wrong

cda said:
This might be how it reads;;;3. On each additional story of the dwelling, Is this room that does not communicate with the living area a dwelling. I think not just as an attached garage is not a dwelling.

You can ask the indpector for the section he is cursing for the requirement .Than look at it to see how it reads and than discuss it with him if you feel he is reading it wrong
Did that, it basically comes down to -- It's a basement and code requires one in a basement.

chris kennedy said:
Well I'll be, Ladies and Gentlemen, we are in the presents of Greatness! Welcome aboard, its about time.
I was planning to mess with you a bit but I decided to fess up-- good to see ya- now teach me something.

dennis said:
okay so let's drag this out some more. If i build an attached garage to my house and have no communication to the house, then do i need a smoke detector there?
no .. .

Dennis said:
now teach me something.
Not only would I charge for the X-tra to install the smoke, I would charge for your research time here.

BTW, this place is the best. First forum I log into when I get up and when I get home.

chris kennedy said:
BTW, this place is the best.
It better be for the price you charged me.
hmm3grin2orange.gif

Without seeing it in person hard to call but may fall under

On each additional story of the dwelling, including basements and habitable attics

cda said:
Without seeing it in person hard to call but may fall underOn each additional story of the dwelling, including basements and habitable attics
The structure is a 2 story addition that is attached to the side of an existing 3 story house-- this room does not communicate with the house-- no windows, stairs just an exterior door. If that door became a garage door we would not need a SD yet because it has a regular door we need a SD????? Sounds painfully odd. No different then the scenario I stated above with a garage attached to the side of the house.

Dennis said:
Is the garage any different then this isolated storage room? Suppose there was a garage door on this room and I could drive in as my garage is setup.
Same reason you should not place one in a kitchen or bath

mark handler said:
Same reason you should not place one in a kitchen or bath
I think you are missing my point. The need for a smoke alarm in this space is synonymous to installing one in a garage that does not communicate to the house. Yes, of course a garage may be a bad idea because of the exhaust but I am trying to show how these spacing are not different other than a car being in one.

This is a great thread but the problem is that it sounds as though this is state specific and many states, including one of my own (PA) has modified the smoke alarm requirements. Also, are we dealing with the IRC, old SBCCI, CABO, BOCA or other codes here?

If this is directly from the IRC, then the following applies under the 2009 version.

Welcome Dennis, I hope our electrical sections have an increased amount of discussion and traffic now.

R314.1 Smoke detection and notification. All smoke alarmsshall be listed in accordance with UL 217 and installed inaccordance with the provisions of this code and the household

fire warning equipment provisions of NFPA 72.

R314.2 Smoke detection systems. Household fire alarm systems

installed in accordance with NFPA 72 that include smoke

alarms, or a combination of smoke detector and audible notification

device installed as required by this section for smoke

alarms, shall be permitted. The household fire alarm system

shall provide the same level of smoke detection and alarm as

required by this section for smoke alarms. Where a household

fire warning system is installed using a combination of smoke

detector and audible notification device(s), it shall become a

permanent fixture of the occupancy and owned by the homeowner.

The system shall be monitored by an approved supervising

station and be maintained in accordance withNFPA72.

Exception: Where smoke alarms are provided meeting the

requirements of Section R314.4.

R314.3 Location. Smoke alarms shall be installed in the following

locations:

1. In each sleeping room.

2. Outside each separate sleeping area in the immediate

vicinity of the bedrooms.

3. On each additional story of the dwelling, including basements

and habitable attics but not including crawl spaces

and uninhabitable attics. In dwellings or dwelling units

with split levels and without an intervening door

between the adjacent levels, a smoke alarm installed on

the upper level shall suffice for the adjacent lower level

provided that the lower level is less than one full story

below the upper level.

When more than one smoke alarmrequired to be installedwithin an individual dwelling unit the alarm devices shall be

interconnected in such a manner that the actuation of one alarm

will activate all of the alarms in the individual unit.

R314.3.1 Alterations, repairs and additions. When alterations,

repairs or additions requiring a permit occur, or

when one or more sleeping rooms are added or created in

existing dwellings, the individual dwelling unit shall be

equipped with smoke alarms located as required for new

dwellings.

Exceptions:

1. Work involving the exterior surfaces of dwellings,

such as the replacement of roofing or siding, or the

addition or replacement of windows or doors, orthe addition of a porch or deck, are exempt fromthe requirements of this section.

2. Installation, alteration or repairs of plumbing or

mechanical systems are exempt from the requirements

of this section.

R314.4 Power source. Smoke alarms shall receive their primary

power from the building wiring when such wiring is

served from a commercial source, and when primary power is

interrupted, shall receive power from a battery.Wiring shall be

permanent and without a disconnecting switch other than those

required for overcurrent protection. Smoke alarms shall be

interconnected.

Exceptions:

1. Smoke alarms shall be permitted to be battery operated

when installed in buildings without commercial

power.

2. Interconnection and hard-wiring of smoke alarms in

existing areas shall not be required where the alterations

or repairs do not result in the removal of interior

wall or ceiling finishes exposing the structure,

unless there is an attic, crawl space or basement available

which could provide access for hard wiring and

interconnection without the removal of interior finishes.

NC's smoke alarm is pretty much the same as above in 314.3. We also have added that Carbon Detectors must be installed outside each sleeping area- they may also be the plug in or battery style.

Yes this is great conversation. Although smoking is not the good habit we should to avoid from this. But you idea is really comfortable:D:D..

jar546 said:
CO was also added to the 2009 IRC. I did not post because the question was specific to smoke alarms.
Since the area is not adjacent to bedrooms we do not need to install a co detector. I was just bring up the NC rule. It is interesting that every building inspector seems to agree this is a basement even though it is unheated and there is no communication, however if I asked if it were a shed built attached to the house with separate entrance no one thinks it would need smoke detectors. I still don't see the difference and on second thought they tend to agree.

BTW- all electrical contractors are surprised it was needed. Of course it is a building code.