• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Solar

A C-46 Solar Contractor installed this to power an A/C condenser. Of course, they immediately pulled out black tape.... they are proud of being prepared.

A correction was written that stated "WEEB clips are not allowed". This is what I was presented with as a replacement.

This panel is a center feed and had a 200 amp main with 200 amp bus. Since a 20% increase is not possible with a center feed panel, a load calculation was performed and it was determined that the load is 150.5 amps. The 200 amp main has been replaced with a 150 amp main.

The meter on the left is for the back house.

It appears to be used.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like the roofers on that last one with the chimney went with the extended coverage installation...starting the lap a couple inches up to save shingles...

conarb said:
I'm sure there is good reason but why can't they connect them in parallel instead of series?
Actually solar panels can be connected in parallel but it can get expensive to maximize the output. As I understand it if the units are parallel then there may be a problem since not all panels will put out the same exact voltageSuppose one unit produces 45V (DC) and another only 40V due to shading or whatever. The 40V unit would virtually be ignored so it would limit its ability however if each array had its own inverter than it would maximize the current. This, of course, would be very expensive.

Each panel can produce somewhere between 200-300 watts and about 45V (DC)

I have been told that there are inverters that mitigate the effect of shading. If the modules aren't all oriented the same, the effect is the same as shading.

This is located outdoors. It is a computer that talks to the solar company. They leave it in the enclosure.

ICE said:
Solar contractors can be difficult to work with. The company will have a C-10 or B license so they will install a new service along with the solar equipment. I wish that they wouldn't.
DSCN8394.jpg

DSCN8388.jpg
Yes it is hard to work with these contractors.. Even I worked with one contractor for 6 months and those were horrible days of my life

They think that they can put whatever they want in this box because it is 3R.

There is a receptacle that has no equipment ground.

Another panel upgrade done by a solar contractor. The panel is Siemens. I don't think that any of the breakers are Siemens. The hole in the wall behind the cabinet is the fourth one done that way this week.

McShan said:
Aren't the panels supposed to be 18 inches away from the valley?
That is the usual case. However, the fire dept allows different strokes for different folks. As long as there are two open sides, the fire dept. seems to go along with it. The 3' around the edges bothers me, especially on a second story. Sometimes it is mostly overhang and 3' with a 25' drop is not the best situation.

Solar contractor did a service upgrade. Got a short list of corrections. Called my office manager and complained that I am "mean to them...but don't tell him that we called because he is vindictive"

Last edited:
McShan said:
Aren't the panels supposed to be 18 inches away from the valley?
Is there a code reference for this? We're just starting to see PV panels around here, and we are trying our best to get up to speed on all requirements.