• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Space between guard and building

Mr. Inspector

SAWHORSE
Usually I let them have a space less than 4" between the guard top rail and a wall.
Nowhere does section 1013 says the top of the guard is to be continuous except at stairways or anything like that. So I go by the following:
1013.3 Required guards shall not have openings which allow passage of a sphere 4" in diameter from the walking surface to the required guard height.

But at this S building the top of the rail stops 5.5" from the wall with a vertical support which leaves an 5.5" opening. The exceptions for group S buildings let's you have a 21" opening in the barrier. The top rail is part of the barrier. Does this mean they can have a gap of 21" between the guard top rail and the wall?

What code edition? (I'm assuming 2012)

Don't confuse guards with handrails. There is no requirement that the top of a guard be continuous--that is only a requirement for handrails. Since guards are required to have a height of 42 inches and handrails a height of 34-38 inches, the top of a guard could not be a handrail unless one of the exceptions apply (mostly for residential occupancies).

A gap of 5-1/2 inches would not violate the requirement for 21-inch openings permitted by Section 1013.4, Exception 4.

Not talking about handrails. I'm talking about the top rail of a guard. This is a landing for an Exterior area for assisted rescue in a S building.
So you would be ok with a gap between the wall and the guard of 21" even with no top rail of a guard?

Not talking about handrails. I'm talking about the top rail of a guard. This is a landing for an Exterior area for assisted rescue in a S building.
So you would be ok with a gap between the wall and the guard of 21" even with no top rail of a guard?
The top rail of a guard is not required to be continuous (I had though you said it did, but I read your post wrong). If there are no openings greater than 21 inches, then it complies with the requirements for a non-public, Group S guard.

# ~ #

Rick,

Can you post a sketch or image of your application & question ?
Thanks !

# ~ #

I think what Rick is uncomfortable with is that basically you could have a 1" by 42" tall post at 21" O.C. and meet code which would be a sucky guard in my opinion...

I think what Rick is uncomfortable with is that basically you could have a 1" by 42" tall post at 21" O.C. and meet code which would be a sucky guard in my opinion...
From that perspective, you're correct. Fortunately, the OSHA regulation that Phil provided a link to would prevent that to some extent for industrial guards. It seems the IBC is basing its requirements on a set of assumptions (Who has ever really seen a guard without horizontal rails?). Even a reading of the definition for "guard" in Chapter 2 doesn't provide much more clarification. The definition states a guard is an element "...that minimizes the possibility of a fall..." Posts at 21 inches o.c. will minimize the possibility of a fall, but to a much, much lesser extent than it would if it had horizontal top rails and mid rails.