1. ATTENTION returning members. If you are coming here from the old forum for the first time, you will need to reset you password. However, we had an email problem getting password reset links set out to a lot of the email addresses. That problem is temporarily rectified but IF you still have an issue, email me direct at info@thebuildingcodeforum.com and I will give you a temporary password.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

Space or Provision?

Discussion in 'Electrical Codes' started by Paul Sweet, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Paul Sweet

Paul Sweet Sawhorse

This might be a question for a forum like Mike Holt's, but I just encountered something I had never heard of before.

An engineer spec'd a 42 pole panel with 24 breakers and 18 spaces. The panel that was installed had long buss bars, but the there was a metal cover where the 18 spaces would go and no way to connect a breaker. The manufacturer claims that the size of the panel and the long buss bars gave us "space" for 18 additional breakers, but the electrician should have ordered "provisions" to be able to mount additional breakers in the space provided.

When I used to do mechanical/electrical engineering in the 1970s to 1990s "space" meant you just had to stab or bolt a breaker in.

Is this a new industry standard, or just one manufacturer's attempt to squeeze additional $ out of a project?

2. steveray

steveray Sawhorse

Is it just the deadfront that does not allow the breakers or is ther no way to attach them to the "long buss"?

3. cda

cda Sawhorse

Picture???

4. Paul Sweet

Paul Sweet Sawhorse

The deadfront can be removed, but an adapter has to be screwed onto the buss before any breakers can be installed.

Panel EPB-3A Space Provisions.jpg

5. cda

cda Sawhorse

Propably cheaper to manufacture it this way

If someone needs more breakers they can order it with the needed parts

Or in the future order all the parts

6. steveray

steveray Sawhorse

Seems like a contractual issue more than a code issue....Bring it up to the designer and or owner and see what they say?

7. chris kennedy

chris kennedy Sawhorse

Not adapters, they're bus kits or bus fingers. Common practice and readily available from my suppliers.

8. Paul Sweet

Paul Sweet Sawhorse

We finally got an explanation from the distributor. Some panels are designed to accept only certain types of breakers, so a space is a space. Others can accept different types of breakers, so you need "provisions" (the bus kits or fingers that Chris mentioned) for a space to be a usable space.

I wish somebody had questioned what "provisions" were needed at shop drawings; it caught the engineer and electrical contractor (both with a lot of experience) by surprise.

9. north star

north star Sawhorse

@ ~ @

Paul,

Sounds like your engineer & electrical contractor had a
    "teachable moment"........Do they come to this Forum for
    information, like you ?

@ ~ @

10. ADAguy

ADAguy Sawhorse

:Shocking", to think after all your years manufacturers would attempt to "limit" whose breakers could be used on "their" panel.