• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Space or Provision?

Paul Sweet

Sawhorse
This might be a question for a forum like Mike Holt's, but I just encountered something I had never heard of before.

An engineer spec'd a 42 pole panel with 24 breakers and 18 spaces. The panel that was installed had long buss bars, but the there was a metal cover where the 18 spaces would go and no way to connect a breaker. The manufacturer claims that the size of the panel and the long buss bars gave us "space" for 18 additional breakers, but the electrician should have ordered "provisions" to be able to mount additional breakers in the space provided.

When I used to do mechanical/electrical engineering in the 1970s to 1990s "space" meant you just had to stab or bolt a breaker in.

Is this a new industry standard, or just one manufacturer's attempt to squeeze additional $ out of a project?

The deadfront can be removed, but an adapter has to be screwed onto the buss before any breakers can be installed.

Panel EPB-3A Space Provisions.jpg

We finally got an explanation from the distributor. Some panels are designed to accept only certain types of breakers, so a space is a space. Others can accept different types of breakers, so you need "provisions" (the bus kits or fingers that Chris mentioned) for a space to be a usable space.

I wish somebody had questioned what "provisions" were needed at shop drawings; it caught the engineer and electrical contractor (both with a lot of experience) by surprise.

@ ~ @

Paul,

Sounds like your engineer & electrical contractor had a
"teachable moment"........Do they come to this Forum for
information, like you ?

@ ~ @

:Shocking", to think after all your years manufacturers would attempt to "limit" whose breakers could be used on "their" panel.