• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Spray Booth Fire Protection

Re: Spray Booth Fire Protection

FM William Burns said:
Yes, TJ if the calculations or schedule meets the criteria for Extra Hazard II.
Exactly. Just the spray booth and prep booths were > $70K back then...without installation and accessories.

I see some irony in the "Please keep doors closed" sign.

EDIT: FMWB beat me to it.

Rjj,

Teaching a class to new state inspectors next month. Can I use these pictures since I'll be teaching the LSC and if references NFPA 33 and these shots would be great when I get to Industrial Occupancies and Hazardous Locations. I'll give you full photo credit of course?

I have a few more that may be of some interest. I will attach to email and forward. I will return to this site on Monday and have some more. I have many different issues at this complex in need of correction.

Inspector 102 said:
I have a paint spray both being reassembled that came in from Canada. The booth has a dual sprinkler system in it, one standard pendant head and a deluge head approximately 6" away. The deluge system appears to be manually operated, but still checking further. Is there a requirement for a redundant system in the spray booth or was this a canadian thing? I can not find where a dual system would be required, so I ask the experts.
I just got involved with a project for the painting of auto bumpers. The designer provided a deluge system, .60 over the entire booth, flame detection with a deluge valve, with wet pipe sprinklers as a back up. I asked where did he get the design from and he told me it was based on a Factory Mutual design he used on the last job from the auto industry. It is a good size booth, 48' long by 16' wide, with a few robots, at $500K each, so i did not say you do not need the deluge system. I was concerned where the 1000 gpm from the deluge system was going to go when it activated. So depending on what the application is/was they may have had FM involved with the booth.