• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Stairs you can't have

I especially like the Invisible handrail, risers and balustrades.
even if this is Not the main exit method, This can't be Code Compliant

That's an innovative variation of a classic alternating-tread stair, which is still allowed under certain circumstances.

Alternating tread stairs were fairly common in early New England houses. They save floor space.
Good observation. I used one in the technical production area if a theatre once - just once - and learned fast theatre technicians hate them. Easier to carry a toolbox or spotlight up and down a ladder than an alternating tread device. They are awkward, even empty handed.

Good observation. I used one in the technical production area if a theatre once - just once - and learned fast theatre technicians hate them. Easier to carry a toolbox or spotlight up and down a ladder than an alternating tread device. They are awkward, even empty handed.

Yes, extremely awkward. IMHO a ship's ladder is better in most applications, if allowed.

That's an innovative variation of a classic alternating-tread stair, which is still allowed under certain circumstances.

Alternating tread stairs were fairly common in early New England houses. They save floor space.
my "take " on that longstanding design is it emulates a ladder more than following the "stair geometry requirements

PS, if you are reviewing Legacy Fire Escapes, do understand, that the Ladder Approach was the clear basis of the original design, in the big cities, at the Real turn of the Century

I was at a code hearing when it was proposed to be added as an "alternating tread stair" and there was enough opposition that "stair" modified to "device".