• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Stop the madness

images

Still happening. Now that we have a written, published policy that states that an energized electrical panel can have live metal exposed and be left unattended, there is nothing left to do but wait.

Mr. Inspector:
Please put dead front cover back on when done inspecting!
"Their having a Two for One margarita special at 4-pm today!" can't make it back in time to close up.

Shop was out of dem little red stickers! If you have any, be a peach and put em on?

Thank's buddy!

Well Tiger, I'll say it again, if our Calfiornia inspectors can carry screwdrivers why can't you?

They might do it, but is it legal? I can order invasive testing and items uncovered under our legislation, but it does not say I can do it myself.

They might do it, but is it legal? I can order invasive testing and items uncovered under our legislation, but it does not say I can do it myself.

I guess you should ask your city attorney/county counsel, here they have determined that the liability for inspectors climbing ladders/walking roofs isn't worth the risk, since Tiger has some new rules maybe his jurisdiction has new rules that will keep him off roofs, and maybe they don't want the liability of open panels so they will let Mr. Inspector carry a screw driver.

I have removed deadfronts for as long as I have been an inspector. For all of these years I am not allowed to remove deadfronts. I prefer doing it myself because that means that the contractor isn't there. However, the advent of the solar industry has changed things up. I don't touch the work done by the solar contractors. Beyond that is the fact that the AHJ has hired a bunch of people that probably shouldn't have a screwdriver unless it comes with a coaster. I am trying to fit in. That's not going well.

I have removed deadfronts for as long as I have been an inspector. For all of these years I am not allowed to remove deadfronts. I prefer doing it myself because that means that the contractor isn't there. However, the advent of the solar industry has changed things up. I don't touch the work done by the solar contractors. Beyond that is the fact that the AHJ has hired a bunch of people that probably shouldn't have a screwdriver unless it comes with a coaster. I am trying to fit in. That's not going well.
Poor Tiger is in a tough situation, as you know I've encouraged you to give these solar contractors Hell because of the fraud they are perpetrating on the general public, I can see your point, if you touch their panel and there is a fire you could be blamed. Interesting that when the sprinkler mandate came in California immediately passed laws requiring all sprinkler fitters have a apprenticeship certificate, in effect requiring all sprinkler systems be installed by union workers, yet when they licensed solar contracators there are no training requirements for the installers, bad sprinkler systems may drench buildings and people, but bad electrical can burn down buildings and kill people.

Wide open and waiting for me. The occupants are there. The solar employee was sitting in the truck.

33879447168_4b3b6b8955_b.jpg

The housewife led me to the side yard. She opened the cover for the service panel and reached in to retrieve the paperwork. She said that the nice young man left everything open for me. I wrote a correction slip that stated that it is unlawful to leave energized equipment unattended with the dead-front removed. She had a puzzled expression so I said, "It's called dead-front for a reason."

46836880135_da7a35c48d_b.jpg

Last edited:
It still happens daily. This is how I found it ....Wide open and energized. This back yard had a ten year old girl on roller skates playing near the the deadly equipment. I found the worker playing too. Playing on his phone out front in a car. I have no idea if he cares but I can guarantee that he won't forget me.

The solar industry is a cruel hoax.

Last edited: