• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

strongback design

Yankee said:
No, that would be fine! Remind me, what is holding up that beam?
The interior partition wall with 2 2x4 column under and the exterior partition wall with 2 2x4 column under, both sitting on top of the steel beam located in the garage ceiling/first floor sandwhich between. It shall be solidly blocked under the beam. to the top plates.

If he hadn't indicated this exact location, I'd say no way. But the placement of it seems to indicate this is not my typical impression of a strongback. Like I said erlier, I think the use of this term is what threw me off. Now I look at it as an inverted beam like brudgers has mentioned. Why he didn't just do a flush beam is beyond me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see anything wrong with the installation. That's a minimum span for a 2X12 girder/beam. In my opinion the beam will support the joists and sheetrock without any problems. Just make sure the joists are secured to the beam/girder/strongback/hogback and the beam/girder/strongback/hogback is supported to the foundation.

Mule said:
I don't see anything wrong with the installation. That's a minimum span for a 2X12 girder/beam. In my opinion the beam will support the joists and sheetrock without any problems. Just make sure the joists are secured to the beam/girder/strongback/hogback and the beam/girder/strongback/hogback is supported to the foundation.
I could see that working if the span was ok or the "half" of it. And the ceiling joists are attached to eachother to create the rafter tie?

An inverted beam needs to have the top (compression edge) laterally braced to prevent buckling. In this case it's probably OK since the span is so short and the stresses in the double 2x12 are very low.

I like the flush beam idea, but then I'd make sure I got some idea what he's attaching the rafters to the beam connection is and check the load on nails he wants to use.

My 2 cents.

Mule said:
mule,

i agree. these kids that have never stick framed so much as a dog house don't know what to think of something that isn't a truss or manufactured lumber. so sad:(

pwood said:
mule, i agree. these kids that have never stick framed so much as a dog house don't know what to think of something that isn't a truss or manufactured lumber. so sad:(
which kids are you referring to? I just recently started using engineered products, FYI :)

As long as the 2x12's are supported at either end I don't see a problem if he wants to design it this way. imho, it does provide a continuous load path. I would ask for attachment details for the 2x2 or 2x4 to both the joists and the beam. I would have used twist straps, but I'm no arkitect.

TimNY said:
As long as the 2x12's are supported at either end I don't see a problem if he wants to design it this way. imho, it does provide a continuous load path. I would ask for attachment details for the 2x2 or 2x4 to both the joists and the beam. I would have used twist straps, but I'm no arkitect.
Oh. Were there supports for the 2x12s?

I guess things could be done that way.