• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Support For Bathtub

@ ! @

Seth,

Please provide the applicable Code & Edition that your
are referencing.......Also, does your "free-standing tub"
have support legs ?.......Some do and some do not !

@ ! @

I'm not the builder/contractor. This was what I was told by a friend who is having a home built with a big home builder. The projector/construction manager told him that. Of course, they didn't reference any code.

The tub has no legs. It sits on the floor so the load is distributed across the entire base of the tub.

Enjoy that photo of the beam being cut for the plumbing..haha...nice.

Thanks

Seen some manu. installation instr. that may have this in it to provide room for the plbg. on a ground floor slab.

It's on the second floor in this case of a 2 story home being built. The project/construction manager told my buddy this. I said this sound riduculous, basic code should account for enough pounds per sq.ft. on a residential structure on the 2nd floor to handle 600lbs, to include water/tub/person in tub for 20-30 minutes without some beefed up platform for it to sit on.

Since the builder never put on in this house before like this, I think they are just guessing. Told my buddy to ask for a reference to the building code. The construction manager is probably getting offended at this point by him taking precautions and asking these questions (questioning their knowledge I guess and EGO being hurt). Too bad I told him to tell the guy.

"No offense guys, but show me the code!"

@ ! @

Seth,

From the `15 IRC,
upload_2017-4-26_14-12-40.png

While no specific requirement for supporting a freestanding tub
is in the Codes, the framing underneath must be able to support
fully the loads imposed on them.

FWIW, ...a lot of construction managers & contractors are known
to talk the talk, but NOT be able to support it with actual Code
references. :mad:

@ ! @

Mr. Seth, do you have a picture or a name brand of this tub with stock number that we can research? I'm curious what this tub looks like?

northstar posted some pictures but I take it that they're not the same.

Mark, that FJ cut is just every day cobbling that we see in the field:eek:
Also northstar and I like to see the purple primer being used, its code! Depending on which one your on!:D

I would have to work on getting the brand name of the tub for you.

@north star, hard to read that image. When I click on it says I can't access the image. Too small to read!!

Thanks! Would love to read and reference that.

@ ! @

PC,

Sorry to disappoint you on the Purple Primer thingy, but
that went away with the `15 IRC.......They no longer require
it on drain lines, rather, it is [ acceptable to some ] to use
that Blue Glue crap as the only visual identifier......Refer to
Section P3003.9.2 in the `15 IRC......Of course your AHJ
could legislate to keep on using our well loved "Purple Primer !"

Seth,

Here is a Link to the ICC Codes, the `15 IRC, Section R502.3.2:

http://legacycodes.iccsafe.org/app/book/content/2015-I-Codes/2015%20IRC%20HTML/Chapter%205.html

@ ! @

Found a photo of it.

kan43.jpg

Apparently women love this...and a trend on many of the designer/home shows. Heard it is a nearly $5K option...rolls eyes...

Here is a picture of the approximate location it would be and to the left where the photo cuts off. Kind of imagine not far off that concrete wall above it, likely just on the other side of that main support running left/right.

e9xher.jpg

@ ! @

Seth,

From the `15 IRC,
View attachment 2538

While no specific requirement for supporting a freestanding tub
is in the Codes, the framing underneath must be able to support
fully the loads imposed on them.

FWIW, ...a lot of construction managers & contractors are known
to talk the talk, but NOT be able to support it with actual Code
references. :mad:

@ ! @
Thanks Seth. So here is how I ended up at this forum. I have rebuilt a 1300 sq ft house in Raleigh - all new framing in every direction. 2nd bathroom will get a tub, (like the cat iron pictured a few posts up) Tub with 60 gallons weighs about 750#s, then the big faucet and plumbing have to add at least 10#s and I weight 200. It is a two person tub, so that adds a tiny bit more. either way we are about 950 with just me. at 121/2 sq ft or so of overall load space that is about 75lbs per sq ft. This house started out as a 600 sq ft bungalow and was added on and on over the years - hence having to totally rebuild. it is on a crawl space and there are numerous foundations, not just a simple rectangle. we put new, treated sills, band and the entire floor system. this particular span is about 10'. we used some 2/10s where the tub was going to be (not knowing the actual weight when we built) and the rest of this part of the floor system is 2/8s. we did do a box in (have to get pics to explain) as per the framer for extra strength. now that I know the actual weight not sure if it is strong enough. Options I have considered ; pouring a pier or two and using a 6x6 treated to sit under the floor joists resting on the pier - that would distribute the weight to the ground and take a lot of strain off the joists, no? I got the idea from the way the engineer designed the cathedral LVL system, 5 piers, one post at 15' thoughts?

Moving in the right direction, shorter span, closer spacing, add pier, better support. no inspection in your area?
My 1905 has a C.I. claw and ball on original framing and it supports both of us.