• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

The NEC Now Allows a 10amp Circuit Breaker

jar546

Forum Coordinator
In 2023, we see the addition of a 10A circuit breaker to NEC 240.6. Who can tell us why this 10A breaker was added? You might find some relevant information on some of the previous electrical threads.

So don't be surprised if you see 10A breaker during your next inspection.

Screen Shot 2023-09-12 at 07.30.06.png

16ga I would suspect?
LED circuits, maybe a furnace circuit.
What color would the sheathing be?
Seams like a waste filling up a breaker box with 10amp breakers when you can use 15 and 20's

Does the ROMEX KING know about this? I bet he's behind this!

Maybe it has something to do with copper-coated aluminum wiring?
That could certainly be a possibility. Personally not sure what whatever what you breakers that small, you never know what you're going to need in the future. That's why when we built everything his 12 gauge with 20 amp breakers. It costs a little more not that that much to the cost of everything else.

you never know what you're going to need in the future
If the past several decades trend continues, less. Hopefully, less, nor more. That I could put every light in every room of an average house on a 10 amp circuit makes me like to this. That's a lot of wire. Are you planning to switch back to incandescent?

I do.

(WOW, last time I said that it cost me dearly.)
Hear ye, hear ye! Citizens of the esteemed realm of TBCF, bow and tremble, for His Royal Highness, the ROMEX King, hath graced our humble forum with his electrifying wisdom! ⚡

Let it be known across the land of TBCF, that His Majesty took a momentary hiatus from his arduous royal duties—nay, paused in his endless quest for the perfect wire gauge—to bestow upon us mere mortals his unparalleled insights.

Ye shall cherish this rare appearance, for the ROMEX King doth not simply post; he illuminates our thread with voltage high and resistance low!

So rise, fellow subjects, and offer your clamps and wire strippers as tribute. Rejoice, for today, we have been wired into royalty!

I wear black socks because I'm a royal subject of the ROMEX King.

Not those socks with the copper in them!

They did not add 14AWG copper clad AL to the 2023 NEC. Not that that is a bad thing.
240.4(D)
(D) Small Conductors.
Unless specifically permitted in 240.4(E) or (G), the overcurrent protection shall not exceed that required by 240.4(D)(1) through (D)(8) after any correction factors for ambient temperature and number of conductors have been applied.
(1) 18 AWG Copper.
7 amperes, provided all the following conditions are met:
  • (1) Continuous loads do not exceed 5.6 amperes.
  • (2) Overcurrent protection is provided by one of the following:
    • a. Branch-circuit-rated circuit breakers listed and marked for use with 18 AWG copper conductor
    • b. Branch-circuit-rated fuses listed and marked for use with 18 AWG copper conductor
    • c. Class CC, Class CF, Class J, or Class T fuses

(2) 16 AWG Copper.
10 amperes, provided all the following conditions are met:
  • (1) Continuous loads do not exceed 8 amperes.
    • a. Branch-circuit-rated circuit breakers listed and marked for use with 16 AWG copper conductor
    • b. Branch-circuit-rated fuses listed and marked for use with 16 AWG copper conductor

(3) 14 AWG Copper-Clad Aluminum.

• (1) Continuous loads do not exceed 8 amperes
    • a. Branch-circuit-rated circuit breakers are listed and marked for use with 14 AWG copper-clad aluminum conductor.
    • b. Branch-circuit-rated fuses are listed and marked for use with 14 AWG copper-clad aluminum conductor.

(4) 14 AWG Copper.
15 amperes

240.4(D)
(D) Small Conductors.
Unless specifically permitted in 240.4(E) or (G), the overcurrent protection shall not exceed that required by 240.4(D)(1) through (D)(8) after any correction factors for ambient temperature and number of conductors have been applied.
(1) 18 AWG Copper.
7 amperes, provided all the following conditions are met:
  • (1) Continuous loads do not exceed 5.6 amperes.
    • a. Branch-circuit-rated circuit breakers listed and marked for use with 18 AWG copper conductor
    • b. Branch-circuit-rated fuses listed and marked for use with 18 AWG copper conductor

(2) 16 AWG Copper.
  • (1) Continuous loads do not exceed 8 amperes.
    • a. Branch-circuit-rated circuit breakers listed and marked for use with 16 AWG copper conductor
    • b. Branch-circuit-rated fuses listed and marked for use with 16 AWG copper conductor

(3) 14 AWG Copper-Clad Aluminum.

• (1) Continuous loads do not exceed 8 amperes
    • a. Branch-circuit-rated circuit breakers are listed and marked for use with 14 AWG copper-clad aluminum conductor.
    • b. Branch-circuit-rated fuses are listed and marked for use with 14 AWG copper-clad aluminum conductor.

(4) 14 AWG Copper.
15 amperes
I was wrong, thanks for setting me straight.

2023 NEC 310.3(A) still says "The minimum size of conductors for voltage ratings up to and including 2000 volts shall be 14 AWG copper or 12 AWG aluminum or copper-clad aluminum, except as permitted elsewhere in this Code."

Also, Table 310.16 does not list an ampacity for #14 Al or CCA.

So maybe a bit of disagreement between the CMPs for Article 240 and Article 310 on the topic? I don't think you can use #14 CCA for general branch circuit wiring under the 2023 NEC.

Cheers, Wayne