• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Tools for inspectors - Digital Levels

I concur, I have a case where an attorney used a 4" digital level to measure flatness of an access aisle at a single spot.
Obviously not an acceptable verification. DOJ recommends 2' min. or a long straight edge.

I start with an eyeball and work from there. They can't see the eyeball....but they get plenty excited when I use it.

The eyeball doesn't have a +or- tolerance. Straight is straight.

49379366731_8554e81c8b_b.jpg

The eyeball comes preloaded with math equations for things like squaring form-work.

49379565562_98f09dfa72_b.jpg

Last edited:
ahh just a little crook in the boards its the new artsy form work. And the drain pipe looks like it may be a little close to the edge of the slab?

Forms bow in so the pressure of the wet concrete will straighten them out.
Looks like that drain is coming up in the middle of an outside wall. How else would you do it?

Forms bow in so the pressure of the wet concrete will straighten them out.
Looks like that drain is coming up in the middle of an outside wall. How else would you do it?
That is a heck of a bow. think that small of a slab will press it back out? and the pipe is against the form. I understand putting it in a wall but it should be fully incased. the others at least have some air space for the concrete to encase them.

I carry a 6" digital level and a regular 4' level in the car. I can put the 6" on top of the 4' if needed. The 6" was cheaper and already had the 4' .The 6" can fit in my pocket and only get the 4' out when I need to be more precise.

Yes, I do the same

DM ... i was being sarcastic about the form bow. You know ... like ... of course we planned it that way ... that’s how we always do it.