1. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

Truncated Domes at Door Landing

Discussion in 'Accessibility' started by mychaelp, Jul 27, 2020.

1. JPohling

JPohling Sawhorse

code that your under, a site plan or a photograph is needed of this path, it does not seem like it leads to a condition that we can imagine would need detectable warnings, but we do not understand the specific condition.

2. Sifu

Sifu Gold Member

The OP asks for code sections not allowing the domes. I don't know of any specifically not allowing them. Code can't cover everything. If they are not slip resistant then that would be a direction, but if that is the case, is the inclusion of them at a train platform such a good idea? Are they considered an obstruction by the AHJ? IMHO I think they are useful in limited situations to communicate a hazard, but in other cases they can become a hazard.

3. ADAguy

ADAguy Registered User

"clear" means free of obstructions, "clear" means 2% cross slope max ea/wy, clear means surface texture may not vary by more than 1/4" TD's don't. Rubber inset walk mats could be used if he is concerned about slipping.

4. Pcinspector1

Pcinspector1 Platinum Member

[​IMG]
    This is what I envisioned for the lube business

5. ADAguy

ADAguy Registered User

If rubber and not plastic or tile they have a higher degree of slip resistance.

6. Sifu

Sifu Gold Member

So, related to this I am curious. I have had complaints about the truncated domes being over-used where not needed, creating trip hazards, problems for slipping, and for folks in high heels (notice I did not discriminate!) Any opinions? I don't know of a code that restricts their use but I'm not sure there shouldn't be one.

7. ADAguy

ADAguy Registered User

If you "chose" to where not required at a minimum, do so at your own risk.

8. jar546

jar546 *****istrator

It seems as though every time we have a truncated dome discussion it is always very active. Interesting....

9. ADAguy

ADAguy Registered User

unintended consequences can do that