• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Un enclosed stairway as an exit

Jurisdiction is CA. I have a two story Type V-B non sprinkled building. Maybe 8,000 SF total. Currently there is an open stair at the entry area that connects both floors without an enclosure. At the rear of the building there is an exit stair that is enclosed and leads to a exterior door direct to the outside. It appears to be 1-HR rated. I was under the impression I needed to maintain the one enclosed stair, but reading thru here it seems like with only two floors connected the enclosure can be excepted? what am I missing?

As Ty J.'s question is leading to, if the travel distance for the occupancy group on the second story--measured from the most remote location on the second story to an exit door on the first story--is within the permitted travel distance, then, yes, the second stair can be unenclosed. Remember, travel distance on stairs is measured parallel with the nosings and not the floor plan length.

Good question. non sprinkled so it is reduced. I would have to check once I get back to the plans, but the floor plate is only about 4,000SF and more or less square. So I think it should not be to difficult to get from any point on the second floor to an exit within 200 feet.

This building was constructed in the 90's. would there be anything that would prevent using the 2019 code in this manner? It is non sprinkled so no requirement there.

As Ty J.'s question is leading to, if the travel distance for the occupancy group on the second story--measured from the most remote location on the second story to an exit door on the first story--is within the permitted travel distance, then, yes, the second stair can be unenclosed. Remember, travel distance on stairs is measured parallel with the nosings and not the floor plan length.

If your occupant load is below 50, yes.

If your occupant load is below 50, yes.
Not really. He said there are two means of egress. Depending on the capacity of the two stairways, the occupant load could be as high as 500 before a third means of egress is required from the second story. If there were only one means of egress, the occupant load would be limited to 29 on the second story per Table 1006.3.3(2) (2018 IBC).

Lay a tape measure across the width of the tread and measure the length of the nosing. That’s parallel to the nosing. The nice diagram you posted ... the “travel distance” is perpendicular to the nosing.