• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Unlimited Area Buildings and Type of Construction

Ok 41 (1970 Boca was my first) years of code reading and I always wondered why it was worded or, then or, again. Now I see what was hidden before;

That is my new piece of knowledge for today; Thank-you Permit Guy.

Now I have to spend the evening reading NFPA 1124 cause consumer fireworks are now legal in RI. KABOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regarding the Type V construction issue, if you look at Section 507.4, you can have a 2-story B, F, M or S of unlimited size with no mention of construction type. So if you can have a 2-story unlimited building of any type of construction then you should able to do the same with a 1-story. Provided you meet all the other requirments. And I agree, the Type V in Section 507.3 is for A-4 occupancies.

Someone please tell me why the reviewer thinks the 60-foot yard at the back is not allowed to have any kind of slope? I did not know it had to be relatively flat.

Examiner, you're right. In fact you can have other things in those yards such as garbage compactors, towers, generator, etc., just no other buildings.

Coug Dad said:
But with the 75% reduction for sprinklers in the 2009 IFC it would still be managable either way.
The 75% reduction is the maximum allowed...not given right away. Generally, we qualify Automatic Sprinkler reduction at 50% with additional factors for occupancy either adding or subtracting to the 50%. A maximum of 75% has been granted for sprinkler systems (low hazard) , A minimum of 25% has been granted for high hazard.