• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Use classification for "Doggie Day care" that...

permitguy said:
If there's a group R fire area, the building must be sprinklered throughout (not just the R). I'd ask for more information and classify accordingly. Based on several previous debates, a full 13 system would be required by most contributors here for areas beyond the R.
and hence, most of them are wrong. The purpose of the sprinkler system requirement for group R is to allow sleeping residents to get out. A full 13 system has far more ambitious goals.

Assuming a full building fire alarm and direct outside egress are not already required, it would be silly to require a sprinkler system instead of approve an alternate means of compliance for the room.

and hence, most of them are wrong.
So a 13R is brudgersville, and a full 13 in the rest of the country.

Assuming a full building fire alarm and direct outside egress are not already required, it would be silly to require a sprinkler system instead of approve an alternate means of compliance for the room.
I wouldn't want to stand on that ice. I didn't tell them to put a bedroom in there, I'm just telling them what they have to do because they put a bedroom in there. That is, IF it's a bedroom.

In this instance from what I understand of the scenario, notification and direct outside egress would appear to me to provide a safer environment for that one room than to have a full building sprinkler system and no fire alarm and direct egress. There is plenty of leeway in the code to approve such an equivalent. I don't feel there is any thin ice there.

B and I think it's very thoughtful of the operators to have someone work a night shift to stay with the animals. Since we've all seen tragic results of unsprinklered stables, it should be sprinklered whether or not someone is staying overnight.

Kennels are also B, but oftentimes with zoning issues.

permitguy said:
So a 13R is brudgersville, and a full 13 in the rest of the country.
When there is only one dwelling, 13D is sufficient. It is also sufficient when there are only two. I'll say it again, the sprinkler is only intended to provide the occupant with a better chance of survival prior to the arrival of a trained fire crew.

Flow and tamper, Wye's, and other features of 13 systems are nice to have, not must have.

Hazard differences between occupancies are better addressed by passive means such as fire barriers as described in chapter five.

Last edited by a moderator:
When there is only one dwelling, 13D is sufficient. It is also sufficient when there are only two.
So a 13D in brudgersville, and a full 13 in the rest of the country.

I think we're well aware of your justification, as it's been repeated often.

permitguy said:
So a 13D in brudgersville, and a full 13 in the rest of the country. I think we're well aware of your justification, as it's been repeated often.
Not as often as the mistaken common wisdom, unfortunately.