• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

User names ?

mtlogcabin

SAWHORSE
I am curious what is behind some of the user names and initials used by the members here and why we chose them. I can figure out some such as fatboy, 88 twin and lowrider are Harley owners :idea: . FM William Burns I did not know was a Jim Carry character on SNL. JAR a former Marine excuse me no such thing as a former Marine ;)

Mine, my wife and I lived in a 16' x 16' log cabin ( so did Ted Kazyzinsky) ;) with no electric, running water or indoor plumbing for 4 years before we started to build our home.

So conarb, peach, Coug Dad, packsaddle and all the rest is there a reason for the user name :?:

Re: User names ?

MLC:

I was constructionarbitrator on the old ICBO Bulletin Board, some called me conarb for short, others called me worse, so upon coming here I took the shortened conarb name. At the time I Joined the old ICBO site I was actively conducting arbitration hearings for the Contractors State License Board, I don't do that anymore, but the name seems to have stuck.

On another site years ago I used 8131 Mike, which were the tail numbers of my airplane, that got shortened to 8131, there was a new site opened there and I changed my name, lots of people objected saying I would always be 8131 to them, so I decided to stay with my old name here.

Ok, I'll start this one out. jpranch= The letter of my frist name and letter of my wifes first name + ranch. May not mean much to anybody else but a lot to us. Come summer we will be married 28 years. :D

Our brand is the Mill iron-4 for anybody that wants to look it up in the Wyoming brand book.

I got my user name from the builder’s supervisors and contractors; when I was a building inspector at my last job. We had several major home builders; who hired college graduates as supervisors; with no construction knowledge, and they would call in inspection requests without punching the homes. I was doing an average of 5 to 6 framing re-inspections on each house; and, got tired of punching their houses for them.

I made up a list of most common violations; and handed it out to the builder’s supervisors; and told them that I would be willing to do a walk through with them and show them how to punch the frame (no charge; prior to the formal framing inspection) if they wanted to cut down on the re-inspections. Most just threw the list in the trash; but, a few new supervisors took me up on the offer. A few months later; I had my first frame inspection pass the first time with no violations. Other homes of these supervisor’s were passing on the 2nd and 3rd inspection; and it caught on.

I later found out; that among themselves they were referring to me as Uncle Bob, when a new supervisor asked me if I was Uncle Bob; and that the other supervisors sent him to meet me. He told me that the builder was sending new hires to my AHJ for a couple of weeks for training (I was wondering why I kept seeing new faces coming and going); and that the other supervisors told him that I was Uncle Bob. He asked me for a punch list, and if I would walk him through a couple of frames. I was delighted. It wasn’t long before several of the sub-contractor’s men were calling me Uncle Bob.

I like to think it was because I was always trying to be helpful; yet firm; but, it was probably because I was a fussy old fart.

So, when I first posted on the old ICC BB; I put Uncle Bob down as my user name; and I kept it when I came here.

Uncle Bob

Things are not always as they appear.

I spent 6 years in the Marine Corps as a "jarhead" , However:

JAR= Jeffrey Anthony Remas

546= My Paramedic Number as I spent almost 20 years working part time as a paramedic

jar546 said:
Things are not always as they appear.
Many times they are. Chris Kennedy is the name that appears on my drive license. Around the office they call me 'Chris Code'. I don't use that as it makes me sound like the expert I'm not. Here at home I'm known as 'Butthead'. I don't use that because it sounds like I have a butt for a head.

Well, FWIW, MT nailed it.......fatboy has nothing to do with my girth, I ride a 97 HD Fatboy that I'm rather fond of. Don't get to ride it nearly enough though. ;)

Well, mine is obvious, if not necessarily very original. HOWEVER, mine will be changed/modified soon! Due to the impending relocation of me and my family to another state (and another job!), my current user name won't make much sense.

I'll let you know when it's official, and maybe solicit suggestions for changes.

vegas paul said:
Well, mine is obvious, if not necessarily very original. HOWEVER, mine will be changed/modified soon! Due to the impending relocation of me and my family to another state (and another job!), my current user name won't make much sense.I'll let you know when it's official, and maybe solicit suggestions for changes.
You'll lose street cred if you stop being "Vegas."

fatboy said:
Well, FWIW, MT nailed it.......fatboy has nothing to do with my girth, I ride a 97 HD Fatboy that I'm rather fond of. Don't get to ride it nearly enough though. ;)
You had me fooled, By your avatar and name I thought you were a fat due who drove a suzuki :?

vegas paul said:
Well, mine is obvious, if not necessarily very original. HOWEVER, mine will be changed/modified soon! Due to the impending relocation of me and my family to another state (and another job!), my current user name won't make much sense.I'll let you know when it's official, and maybe solicit suggestions for changes.
"The Plan Reviewer Formerly Known As Vegas Paul"

Is that too long?

jar546 said:
vegas paul said:
"The Plan Reviewer Formerly Known As Vegas Paul"

Is that too long?

"COFKAVP" has a nice ring.

Mine's not too exciting...L for Lori is a holdover from when I started in the door and hardware industry over 20 years ago and the contractors didn't want to deal with a "girl" (they got over it). My last name is Greene, and AHC is for Architectural Hardware Consultant which is one of my certifications along with CDC (Certified Door Consultant), CCPR (Certified Construction Product Representative), and FDAI (Fire Door Assembly Inspector).

LGreene said:
Mine's not too exciting...L for Lori is a holdover from when I started in the door and hardware industry over 20 years ago and the contractors didn't want to deal with a "girl" (they got over it). My last name is Greene, and AHC is for Architectural Hardware Consultant which is one of my certifications along with CDC (Certified Door Consultant), CCPR (Certified Construction Product Representative), and FDAI (Fire Door Assembly Inspector).
And I'm a loser because I failed to notice that I didn't include "AHC" in my user name on this board like I usually do! Maybe I should change my user name. ;)

Just for accuracy, FMWB was the actual character’s name in the old comedy show In Living Color. I used this after being FOIA’ed four times by NAHB after the residential sprinkler passage in Minnesota. I used my real name (hence the FOIA's) and then my email handle on the old BB prior to choosing to use FMWB, since using it was a method of laughing at the attempts of the NAHB to find fault with my ability to be in Minnesota. Since every picture tells a story..........enjoy my previous web link later updated to the newer one in my profile:

:D

FM :eek: you get the amuzement prize :lol:

And since I cannot compete with that, mine is simple. Use DaveW on the old ICBO board as well and just kept it.

Lets all enjoy the interesting post from the one that just might have to much time on there hands :lol: :lol: :lol: Gotta love it !! I do :mrgreen:

Paul, NEVER loose the Vegas! I like it. Board names mean something. Not so much to some and quite a bit to others.

Yeah, if I remember right, Uncle Bob got bumped off the old board, or for some reason thought he had to change his screen name, and after some prompting he went back to Uncle Bob...............Am I remembering this right UB?

Anyway, VP, if you do, let us know, and I'm sure you will. You can change...... greg/hub/dcisnpect can attest to that. I think we all can recognize each others style and opinions.

Good luck in your new venue. ;)

When we moved into our house in '96 we thought we would raise Great Pyrenees (pyr for short) dogs. When I signed onto the GP BB I tried pyrguy. It was available and it stuck.

The raising dog thing didn't work out. Big dogs can have hip issues and our girl was borderline (we got the report after the litter was on the way) So after the first litter of 10 (forty pound at 12 weeks) we stopped.

Fatboy,

You have a good memory. Reminds me of what a great webmaster we had on the old BB. I had signed out and couldn't get back. I came back with a new name; which I really didn't like; and, asked the webmaster to help me out. He got me back on with my Uncle Bob user name. He was good to us; and I do miss him. I had forgotten all about that.

Thanks for the memory,

Uncle Bob