• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Vegeation as pool enclosure

"The building official may grant an exception to the above barrier requirements when it is determined that there is a natural barrier existing on the premises in the form of thorny/spiny vegetation, landscaping, or topography which prevents access to the pool area." ( Underlined emphasis added mine)

mjesse said:
Cactcus perhaps?

from Appendix G

BARRIER PERMANENT. A fence, wall, building wall or combination thereof which completely surrounds the swimming pool and obstructs access to the swimming pool.

BARRIER TEMPORARY. An approved temporary fence, permanent fence, the wall of a permanent structure, any other structure, or any combination thereof that prevents access to the swimming pool by any person not engaged in the installation or construction of the swimming pool during its installation or construction.

I would say no to the plantings as an acceptable barrier by themselves. Include a fence, wall or building wall and then ok

and the final answer

XXXX,

After consideration of the information available to me including aerial photos of the property, and having no reason to visit the property, being unable to locate any record of inspection or permit for construction of the pool, I offer the following in opinion of a hedgerow as a suitable barrier for an inground pool and of a vegetative barrier under the Massachusetts State Building Code to meet the requirements of a proper enclosure in accordance with appendix G of the International Residential code.

While the vegetative barrier at this time appears to meet the intent of section AG105 Barrier Requirements; it does not meet the technical requirements. Further, the maintenance of the hedgerow is not easily verifiable, while with a fence, wall or other technically correct barrier it is much easier to verify compliance with the specific requirements of section 105.2 and the integrity of the forgoing items is easily identifiable.

If I can be of further assistant please feel free to contact me.

In accordance with section 112.1 General, the right to appeal my opinion is shown here.

Appeals of orders, decisions, determinations and failures to act made by any state or local agency or any person or state or local agency charged with the administration or enforcement of the state building code or any of its rules and regulations, except the specialized codes, relative to the application and interpretation of this code shall be addressed by the building code appeals board in accordance with M.G.L. c. 143, § 100.

Curtis Meskus, CBO

Town of Charlton

Building Commissioner

Zoning Enforcement Officer

How was the spelling and punctuation ICE?

TheCommish said:
Curtis Meskus, CBO

Town of Charlton

Building Commissioner

Zoning Enforcement Officer

How was the spelling and punctuation ICE?
Absolutely stellar.....but not as much fun as the usual.

TheCommish said:
that type of the answer is waht gets me in trouble
Why? If you determine it is not compliant, that is your job as a building official...........give me a compliant solution.

You need to look at both sides of the issue. Determine what will comply, and what will comply over time. Is a dirt path compliant, sometimes but not when it rains. The hedge will overtime need trimming and a particular plant may need replacement. What happens when the plant is removed? Is the new plant equal in width and height to the barrier requirement?

If they want landscaping, build the fence then plant the hedge