• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Vehicle storage

No. I do not. But that language is familiar to me while dealing with salvage vehicles. We require that the battery be disconnected and the fuel tanks emptied on salvage vehicles - regardless of being parked inside or outside a building.

Section 314 of the IFC is titled "Indoor Displays". I would interpret this as being a large warehouse full of motor homes and boats that are for sale and frequented by folks who are invited to come inside and look at them. Any large auto dealership would have a vehicle showroom with their latest 2020 models proudly displayed on a white porcelain tile floor. But I have never thought to ask if the fuel tank was empty or the battery disconnected.

Car shows at the convention center, and yes we did use to check for those, in the city that had a large convention center

Might use the same weight classification. However note the difference in use. CFR49 requires the vehicle use be related to commerce and the IBC does not. So under CFR 49 an RV or a privately owned truck used for personal use would not fall under the definition of a commercial vehicle.

2018 IBC
[F] COMMERCIAL MOTOR VEHICLE. A motor vehicle used to transport passengers or property where the motor vehicle meets one of the following:
1. Has a gross vehicle weight rating of 10,000 pounds (4540 kg) or more.
2. Is designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver.

49 CFR 390.5 (linked)
Commercial motor vehicle means any self-propelled or towed motor vehicle used on a highway in interstate commerce to transport passengers or property when the vehicle—

(1) Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating, or gross vehicle weight or gross combination weight, of 4,536 kg (10,001 pounds) or more, whichever is greater; or

(2) Is designed or used to transport more than 8 passengers (including the driver) for compensation; or

(3) Is designed or used to transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver, and is not used to transport passengers for compensation; or

(4) Is used in transporting material found by the Secretary of Transportation to be hazardous under 49 U.S.C. 5103 and transported in a quantity requiring pl

Definition of commerce
(Entry 1 of 2)

2: the exchange or buying and selling of commodities on a large scale involving transportation from place to place
a major center of commerce
interstate commerce

Yes, the code should just directly align with CFR definition to avoid confusion with interpretation.
I interpret RV's are not commercial vehicles because they are not "used to transport passengers or property"
The code clarifies:

>"16 passengers"
OR
"property"

IBC does recognize "personal property" in the "SELF STORAGE FACILITY" definition and chose not to include "personal property" with the COMMERCIAL MOTOR VEHICLE definition. RV's are not used for transporting >16 passengers and RV's are not used for transporting property; therefore the thresholds 1 & 2 are not applicable. RV is not a commercial vehicle. The RV is a "private motor vehicle" as referenced in OPEN PARKING GARAGE definition.

Yes, the code should just directly align with CFR definition to avoid confusion with interpretation.
I interpret RV's are not commercial vehicles because they are not "used to transport passengers or property"
The code clarifies:

>"16 passengers"
OR
"property"

IBC does recognize "personal property" in the "SELF STORAGE FACILITY" definition and chose not to include "personal property" with the COMMERCIAL MOTOR VEHICLE definition. RV's are not used for transporting >16 passengers and RV's are not used for transporting property; therefore the thresholds 1 & 2 are not applicable. RV is not a commercial vehicle. The RV is a "private motor vehicle" as referenced in OPEN PARKING GARAGE definition.
You can't pull the "16" passengers from condition #3 and use that as your basis in quoting from the charging statement. Otherwise, in place of "or" at the end of each condition, it would be an "and".

Furthermore, the CFR nor IBC define property. Absent clarification, the general use of the word property would be inclusive of "personal property"