• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Verifying Spans of Engineered wood products

Thank you all for your thoughts. In regards to span tables, I have only seen 'calculation tables' for the engineered wood products, not true span tables like the AWC publishes or that are found in the code book for nominal lumber. I believe Boise Cascade has rafter spans for I joists, and that's it. Is there something that I am missing? Thanks again.

Engineered lumber requires engineering by the designer. The provisions for finding the allowable stresses are provided in the IBC but that is not the IRC. To find allowable spans somebody must do the calculations. While span tables have been inserted in the IRC for sawn lumber this has not been done for engineered lumber.

Manufacturers span tables are not code. This does not mean that they are unsafe just that they are not code. If you disagree provide code provision.
Thanks Mark. This sort of sums up our situation. Who is doing the calculations, who do we trust, and who pays for it. We try to explain to John Q Public how no one can verify that the LVL will work, but they just hear that it's gonna cost $$$ for an engineer.

I believe the IRC requires the manufactures specifications for installation to be followed and all the engineered lumber manufactures I have used had "FREE" online calculators that I have used that produce a printout showing pass or fail for the use fore which the homeowner can drop in a note on the plans and supply the printout from the manufacture.

Here is one of the ones I used in my personal project. They are simple to produce the manufactures report if you know the information you are inputting.

As an inspector or plan reviewer not sure how much time you want to spend searching for things like this, therefore require that it be in the submittal.

Mark, though the manufactures span tables might not be in the code specifically, aren't the span tables considered the manufactures installation instructions and does not the IRC direct all product to be installed per the manufactures directions, thus does this not drag the tables in to the code by the IRC requirement?

And by dragging in the manufactures instructions, does that not alleviate the need for an engineers report?

As to the submittal, requiring the applicant to submit copies of the engineered lumber manufactures installation instructions and copies of highlighted tables showing each members call out would seem reasonable to me. They had to review it to draw it, and if my memory serves me right depending on the lumber yard and supplier, they produce full floor plan sets and layouts with the manufactures instruction notes on them that can also be obtained on larger homes.
I've always considered the manufacturer span tables such as the AWC "manufacturers instructions" but I have not seen similar clear span tables for LVL or I Joists. They just provide calculations that an engineer would use to determine the spans. Maybe I am missing something somewhere.

How do you get an engineering stamp on LVL's already installed? Building permit for town is requesting stamp, and the lumbar yard only provided pass/ fail. This LVL is already installed............

Recently I got calcs on a ridge beam. It has the dead and live loads but not the ground snow load. Is their a way to figure that out with just knowing the dead and live loads?

How do you get an engineering stamp on LVL's already installed? Building permit for town is requesting stamp, and the lumbar yard only provided pass/ fail. This LVL is already installed............
If you have a receipt where your purchased it, the manufacrurer might be able to provide some kind of document certifying that it was manufactured to certain specs. If the cit6 wants verification that it was installed correctly, that’s going to require a site visit by an architect or engineer.

Recently I got calcs on a ridge beam. It has the dead and live loads but not the ground snow load. Is their a way to figure that out with just knowing the dead and live loads?