• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Water Faucet installed above kitchen range

Uncle Bob

"Yes, it's in all the new upscale homes today" :D

I have a homebuilder who has run hot and cold water lines for a faucet above the kitchen electric range. It's purpose is to eliminate the need for carrying water from the sink to the stove.

I am in a state of shock and awe; so, I'm having trouble thinking straight at this time.

Code voilations please?

This place is great; we have all the crazies. :)

Uncle Bob

The stove is a "kitchen electric range." I would require the occupants to use a copper waist and head band properly bonded to two ground rods. You can never be too safe. Might be good to have the range plug into a GFCI outlet. I think this problem is looking for a creative solution.

I've always wondered about those pot fillers (about $1200) saving you from having to carry a large pot of water from the sink to the stove, what do you do with the full pot of water after the food is cooked???????

New market nitch.....cooktops with a built in gravity drain in the middle........:cheers

+ + +

Uncle Bob,

These Pot Fillers are not a code violation!......They are

the latest attempt to advertise a trendy fashion, to a

specific market segment in single family homes.....As

**fatboy** stated, ...a new nitch!

Once the brontosaurus has been boiled down in to a

porridge, ...the cave man of the house is then directed

to remove the pot from the stove over to the fancy

granite countertop area where it can be served up!

+ + +

Subject: Wall hung faucet above and over electric kitchen range.

The subject is not addressed in the 2009 IRC accept as follows:

P2601.1 Scope. The provisions of this chapter shall govern the installation of plumbing not specifically covered in other chapters applicable to plumbing systems. The installation of plumbing, appliances, equipment and systems not addressed by this code shall comply with the applicable provisions of the International Plumbing Code.

International Plumbing Code.

301.2 System installation. Plumbing shall be installed with due regard to preservation of the strength of structural members and prevention of damage to walls, and other surfaces through fixture usage.

301.3 All plumbing fixtures used to receive or discharge liquid wastes shall be directly connected to the sanitary drainage system of the building in accordance with the requirements of this code.

A plumbing fixture is required where a faucet is installed.

Uncle Bob said:
Subject: Wall hung faucet above and over electric kitchen range.

The subject is not addressed in the 2009 IRC accept as follows:

P2601.1 Scope. The provisions of this chapter shall govern the installation of plumbing not specifically covered in other chapters applicable to plumbing systems. The installation of plumbing, appliances, equipment and systems not addressed by this code shall comply with the applicable provisions of the International Plumbing Code.

International Plumbing Code.

301.2 System installation. Plumbing shall be installed with due regard to preservation of the strength of structural members and prevention of damage to walls, and other surfaces through fixture usage.

301.3 All plumbing fixtures used to receive or discharge liquid wastes shall be directly connected to the sanitary drainage system of the building in accordance with the requirements of this code.

A plumbing fixture is required where a faucet is installed.
These three items are what I would consider to address the question.

At some point in time and I can not remember what code it was in and similar verbiage as 301.3 required a water outlet to be associated to a drain. What if the faucet begins to drip or is left partially on the water has to go somewhere.

# # #

**pwood**,

Wouldn`t the WH drain pan & drain pan drain pipe be your approved

point of connection / method of disposal?

# # #

north star said:
# # #**pwood**,

Wouldn`t the WH drain pan & drain pan drain pipe be your approved

point of connection / method of disposal?

# # #
I can think of situations where the drain and pan are not required. Why has this not been called out in the past? Maybe i should have the offenders put a pan and a drain under their wolf range? Yeah! that will go over like a beer and egg fart in an elevator.

PW....In an elevator!.... :) I don't believe I have had to approve one yet, but I have certainly seen them....I have used the "connection to sanitary" argument in the past for outdoor showers.....If I run across one, I might just have to send them to the state for a modification.....

I've installed several, they are a vanity item and I doubt anyone actually uses them, but I've had customers think they need them for resale. A bigger concern is leaking dishwashers, I've had several Bosch dishwashers with defective electric inlet valves causing several thousands of dollars worth of hardwood floor damage, everyone wants hardwood floors in their kitchen, I've got one 10 year-old dishwasher out now waiting for the moisture content in the wood to drop before I reinstall it and reinstall and refinish the floors. From now on I'm installing these "FloodSavers" under them.

View attachment 668

They show it connected to the sanitary sewer, I see that requiring a self-priming trap, I'm just going to let them drip under the house on first floors rather than installing self-priming traps. That's an issue with the pot fillers too, if you require a drain aren't you going to have to require a self-priming trap?Uncle Bob, why do you keep bringing these pesky things up? Obviously if we require drains under pot fillers we should require drains under fire sprinkler heads, I've seen a lot more damage done by sprinkler heads and I've never seen a leaking pot filler.View attachment 668

/monthly_2013_02/snf_Spec-art.jpg.40e37e5e2d6920ef96690a56e1208f33.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: