• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

water heater disco location

ICE said:
Here we go again. I lost everybody's respect on this one. At some point I'll lose enough respect to stay away from electrical.http://www.inspectpa.com/forum/showthread.php?6775-Work-Space-Exterior-Equipment&highlight=working+space
Yep! This is a nice hot topic, and you lost no respect from me because I agree with you. I have sadi it before and will say it again:

Like ICE, I do not take issue with any of what you are all saying. What I have a problem with is the fact that if you read the code as it is written, then we could never build a building with out some form of noncompliance ("all electric equipment" leaves no room for discusion).

gbhammer said:
What I have a problem with is the fact that if you read the code as it is written, then we could never build a building with out some form of noncompliance ("all electric equipment" leaves no room for discusion).
brudgers' corollary to Milton's rule: Just because you got a permit, doesn't mean you met the code.

+ +

"Like ICE, I do not take issue with any of what you are allsaying.........What I have a problem with is the fact that if you read

the code as it is written, then we could never build a building with

out some form of noncompliance ("all electric equipment" leaves no

room for discussion)."
But if there isn't anything written / stated, from some type of standard,then there will be / has been to much subjectivity applied [ i.e. - In

Bubba's AHJ, he thinks it ought to be installed this way & in this location,

however, in Jethro's AHJ, he thinks it ought to be installed in another way

& location. ]......As an example, just look at how divided [ subjective ] the

views are on here.....The CMP removed a lot of the subjectivity [ on this one

anyway ] from the equation.

Regarding Jeff's picture, I wonder what the plans called for......Did the

EC deviate from the approved plans to save money, ...time, ...politically

favorable, other, or was the location in the picture, the one that was

actually designed that way?

+ +

gbhammer said:
Like ICE, I do not take issue with any of what you are all saying. What I have a problem with is the fact that if you read the code as it is written, then we could never build a building with out some form of noncompliance ("all electric equipment" leaves no room for discusion).
I agree with just those words but the sentence does not stop there. Why would section (A) be necessary if it meant all electrical equipment. A sp switch is a piece of electrical equipment. So you mean to say that I must have those clearance for a switch on a kitchen counter. Of course Not. IMO, that argument is invalid since 110.26(A) specifically states for equipment likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing and maintenance while energize. Now how can you say that a water heater disconnect requires all that while it is energized.

Even though I am a huge proponent of 110.26 I do not believe the picture indicates the need to be covered by 110.26. The disconnect does not have any moving parts or any measurements that would need to be adjusted or taken while energized. It would serve to disconnect power to the water heater that does need to be energized to service and adjust. One of the other post mentioned disconnects and condensing units not needing the clearance for working space, the clearance is for the servicing of the appliance while energized not the disconnect.

While reading this I couldn’t help but wonder if this water heater is connected directly to the service equipment. If so then the disconnect would most certainly be required to comply with 110.26 but it would also be required to be grouped in the same area as the other service disconnects.

If it is being supplied by an overcurrent device in a panel somewhere else then it has a disconnect that fits the requirement of 110.26 and the local disconnect at the water heater would no more be required to adhere to 110.26 than any other disconnect such as switches and receptacles on the other circuits.

As far as that goes the water heater does not have a motor so there is no requirement to have a disconnect with-in sight as long as the disconnect protecting the conductors supplying the water heater has provisions to be locked in the open position.

jwelectric said:
While reading this I couldn’t help but wonder if this water heater is connected directly to the service equipment. If so then the disconnect would most certainly be required to comply with 110.26 but it would also be required to be grouped in the same area as the other service disconnects.
Hey Mike, I can't imagine that this is not supplied from an OCPD. I do agree if it is then it would need 110.26 clearance but then there would be other issues to deal with here, as you mentioned- grouping.