• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Water Heater Installation

Re: Water Heater Installation

We almost always have basements, and the water heaters in them. But, there is a sanitary sewer, with a floor drain, to convey any water discharged away from the installation so as to prevent any damage. Compliant.

Thanks, Fatboy! It didn't make sense to me that you could put one in a basement and not put one in a crawlspace....UB's comment that you couldn't put one in a crawlspace got me thinking....you CAN, if you install per code, of course.

I would assume you require a trap primer at the sanitary drain?

I'm on 2003, and it's apparent 2006 is different.

Where is there a requirement for a drain, other than in an attic or in a space where damage could occur from the discharge?

I could see under the 2006 code the part quoted "readily observable by the occupants" might work for a basement, but I don't think a crawlspace installation would be "readily observable".

TimNY, I think your mixing up the t&p discharge pipe and the pan drain.

504.7 Required pan.

Where water heaters or hot water storage tanks are installed in locations where leakage of the tanks or connections will cause damage, the tank or water heater shall be installed in a galvanized steel pan having a minimum thickness of 24 gage, or other pans approved for such use.

95% of our crawspaces are conditioned. That means a sealed vapor barrier installed over the ground and no insulation or vapor barrier at the floor. Any undiscovered dripping T&P valve or leaking water heater will create an abundance of moisture that will permeate up into the floor system (OSB) which will cause mold and other issues to begin.

Use the code "The discharge shall be installed in a manner that does not cause personal injury or property damage and that is readily observable by the building occupants." and get them out of the crawspace.

And for those of use under the UPC, Section 508.5 prohibits discharge from a relief valve into a water heater pan.

Can you run the T&P and the smitty pan drain into a receptor in the crawl space (with a trap primer)?

skipharper said:
TimNY, I think your mixing up the t&p discharge pipe and the pan drain.504.7 Required pan.

Where water heaters or hot water storage tanks are installed in locations where leakage of the tanks or connections will cause damage, the tank or water heater shall be installed in a galvanized steel pan having a minimum thickness of 24 gage, or other pans approved for such use.
Yes and no. That was the only mention of a drain that I could find in relation to water heaters, albeit unrelated to the t&p, sorta.

P2801.5.1 Pan size and drain ... "The pan shall be drained by an indirect waste pipe having a minimum diameter of 3/4 inch or the outlet diameter of the relief valve, whichever is larger

What does the size of the relief valve have to do with the pan drain?? (this could be a NYS thing)

More NYS stuff

P2803.6.1 ... pipe to floor, outside of the building, or to an indirect waste receptor located inside the building. In area subject to freezing, the relief valve shall discharge through an air gap into an indirect waste receptor located within a heated space.

I say yes basement (no receptor required unless damage could result), no crawlspace. In a freezing climate you could not discharge outside, would have to be inside, at which point it is not readily observable. Would be leary of pumping 210 degree water though a condensate pump, but would consider it if the manufacturer listed it for use with those temps.

2006 International Residential Code

Chapter 28 WATER HEATERS

P2803.6.1 Requirements for discharge pipe. The discharge piping serving a pressure-relief valve, temperature-relief valve or combination valve shall:

1. Not be directly connected to the drainage system.

2. Discharge through an air gap located in the same room as the water heater.

3. Not be smaller than the diameter of the outlet of the valve served and shall discharge full size to th air gap.

4. Serve a single relief device and shall not connect to piping serving any other relief device or equipment.

5. Discharge to the floor, to an indirect waste receptor or to the outdoors. Where discharging to the out-doors in areas subject to freezing, discharge piping shall be first piped to an indirect waste receptor through an air gap located in a conditioned area.

6. Discharge in a manner that does not cause personal injury or structural damage.

7. Discharge to a termination point that is readily observable by the building occupants.

8. Not be trapped.

9. Be installed to flow by gravity.

10. Not terminate more than 6 inches above the floor or waste receptor.

11. Not have a threaded connection at the end of the piping.

12. Not have valves or tee fittings.

13. Be constructed of those materials listed in Section P2904.5 or materials tested, rated and approved for such use in accordance with ASME A112.4.1.

All of the above requirements must be compied with.

Number 6 and number 7; are the requirements that are most often not compilied with.

Uncle Bob

UB,

No 5. Discharge to the floor,

Interpretation: to the floor (no reason to go beyond the floor), as long as it's 6" above the floor. Is this sentence giving options?

No 13. I turned a job down that used a pex elbow fitting into a pex discharge line to get to the air gap. Reason; it reduced the size of the discharge pipe. Did I make the right call?

No 5. Discharge to the floor, Interpretation: to the floor (no reason to go beyond the floor), as long as it's 6" above the floor. Is this sentence giving options?
Continue reading

6. Discharge in a manner that does not cause personal injury or structural damage.

It would be a judgement call, an OSB product (wood floor system) does not take a lot of soaking water to become damaged.

mtlogcabin,

Agree, discharge to OSB or plywood would or could cause structural damage and I would require proper discharge in that case.

It's very clear in the 2007 CPC (Based on the 2006 UPC) "Relief valves shall not terminate in a building's crawl space".

No mention about readily observable in our code.... I won't comment on what most inspectors miss because I don't look at most inspectors work..... :shock: