• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

What consitutes a 'reconfigured space'?

Work area is defined as "....portions of a building consisting of all reconfigured spaces"
I was trying to determine what part of my work was considered a reconfigured space and thus included in the work area.
Important here because if my work area was more than 50% of floor area I need sprinklers.

So, I accept the "if its a level 2 alt then its part of work area"

But the inspector made me include areas where I am just replacing finishes (which is level 1 type work)
My personal opinion is its one and the same in the end. I think this comes down to semantics and good luck with that.

IMHO, you have reconfigured the room by changing or altering the size of the fixed cabinetry (bar) which has an impact on net floor area for occupancy calculations - therefore you have altered or reconfigured your space. The reconfiguration of the bar size may have an impact or other trades as well - Mechanical for fresh air requirements, far fetched, but you may have reduced the occupant load which may lessen the required fixture count, or you may have altered the occupant load so that the electrical system does not have to meet the assembly requirements of the NEC.

The issue is how does the AHJ interprets the changes??

Reconfigure = change or move IMHO. Move a wall add or remove cabinets these are changes to the existing.

You certainly have the right and ability to show level 1 and level 2 work areas on your plans and that should keep your area of level 2 down so that you don't have to worry about going to level 3.....

Why it is so hard to define and is kind of left to the ahj....Example: 2 large rooms, take out the wall dividing them, is that work area the 5" of the wall? The 10' they need to do the work? The entire area of the space as now the 500 OL room should probably get a closer look for things only covered under Level 2....

My take on it is that no one wants the building official to have discretion. Even the building official. SO, if the codes leave something to the building official's discretion, there is a reason for it.

Steveray's example is a good one. Yeah. Someone should probably look at the whole room. Now taking a wall out between two closets...Same work but very different impact.

I don't know how you write the regulation to capture the need to perform an in-depth check on one and not the other.

Work area is defined as "....portions of a building consisting of all reconfigured spaces"
I was trying to determine what part of my work was considered a reconfigured space and thus included in the work area.
Important here because if my work area was more than 50% of floor area I need sprinklers.

So, I accept the "if its a level 2 alt then its part of work area"

But the inspector made me include areas where I am just replacing finishes (which is level 1 type work)

Would those be only vertical surfaces or include flooring too? Flooring is an accessible surface and may be subject to Chapter 11 compliance.

It depends:
1. a fixed cabinet or loose?
2. In a corridor or an office?
3. "What" does it contain?

By moving / relocating the existing bar to a new location I am assuming the work will involve some plumbing modifications….

SECTION 504 ALTERATION—LEVEL 2
504.1 Scope. Level 2 alterations include the reconfiguration
of space, the addition or elimination of any door or window,
the reconfiguration or extension of any system, or the installation
of any additional equipment.