• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

What happens if a city approves a deck that seems to violate fire codes

Some states have a state wide adopted building code.

Some states let each city adopt whatever they want.

Utah might just be statewide::

https://dopl.utah.gov/programs/ubc/

It is worth a call to this agency to see if they can do anything for you.

If you do not get a good answer the first time try about three more times to different people

Ask if you can file a complaint with them.

Forgot about the appeals process::

Appeal InformationIf you would like information about appealing a decision made by Community Development Staff or one of our Boards and Commissions, see our Appeal Information page.

What is the zoning regulation for side yard setback in a rear yard? If there is a setback....well that's the end of that story.

The structures listed below may project into a minimum front or rear yard not more than four (4) feet, and into a minimum side yard not more than two (2) feet:

(a) Cornices, eaves, belt courses, sills, buttresses, or other similar architectural features.

(b) Fireplace structures and bays, provided they are not wider than eight (8) feet and are generally parallel to the wall of which they are a part.

(c) Stairways, balconies, door stoops, fire escapes, awnings and planter boxes or masonry planters.

It looks like a balcony and should be 12" from the fence. It might not be worth the grief for a foot.

The structures listed below may project into a minimum front or rear yard not more than four (4) feet, and into a minimum side yard not more than two (2) feet:

(a) Cornices, eaves, belt courses, sills, buttresses, or other similar architectural features.

(b) Fireplace structures and bays, provided they are not wider than eight (8) feet and are generally parallel to the wall of which they are a part.

(c) Stairways, balconies, door stoops, fire escapes, awnings and planter boxes or masonry planters.

It looks like a balcony and should be 12" from the fence. It might not be worth the grief for a foot.

The city used the definition of a "patio" for the permit. We don't have side yards - only rear yards.

What is the zoning regulation for side yard setback in a rear yard? If there is a setback....well that's the end of that story.

Looks like zero lot lines????

Do they have set backs??

I would question attaching it to neighbors house!!!!!

Looks like zero lot lines????

Do they have set backs??

I would question attaching it to neighbors house!!!!!

The setbacks (if we don't consider fire code) are supposed to be a minimum of 3 feet from the side property lines and projections can't project for more than 12 feet into the rear yard. This thing projects 20 feet into the rear yard to the detached garage at the back of the lot. It also comes within 3 inches of my property line.

Last I checked patios were
"on grade" vs balconies which have air space beneath?

I agree - but our city doesn't define decks specifically and defines patios to be flat surfaces not more than 30" high. They used the definition of a patio to issue the permit but that also means it can't extend out further than 12 feet. So, this thing is approximately 6 feet high (at the base), 22 feet wide, and 21 feet deep -

I agree - but our city doesn't define decks specifically and defines patios to be flat surfaces not more than 30" high. They used the definition of a patio to issue the permit but that also means it can't extend out further than 12 feet. So, this thing is approximately 6 feet high (at the base), 22 feet wide, and 21 feet deep -

Any responses from local news teams?

What's up with the 5th joist from the bottom? They cut it twice and it was still too short?

What's up with the 5th joist from the bottom? They cut it twice and it was still too short?

Interesting! Does that make a difference for the quality of the deck or does it just show his construction guys messed up?

It looks like there might be an A/C condenser ....or two.....under the new lumber not a balcony.

You can also to an open records request for any permits issued and

Any inspections done.

That might be some interesting reading.

I applied for the GRAMA report and had it expedited. They have a couple of documents in there that I have never seen. They are now saying that the plans are copyrighted (even though they've changed their minds on that twice and gave me a copy in July). They have included a plan specification sheet that tells the dimensions of the deck to prove I knew the dimensions - even though I've never seen it before. There are no inspector reports or anything. Is that usually the case for a GRAMA record?