• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

what is it

linnrg

Sawhorse
Until today I had never seen one. I am sure some of you who live where these are used will know. Let the guessing begin. And I am not talking about the orange thing

IMG_3320.JPG

Love the picture of it burning. Sorry PCinspector1 no prize today - but you probably should because Alaska Port o Potty's can be a cold pain in the &*( ! I will pass along your suggestion.

crazy thing is the contractor was saying he might use it in the building. Having been around diesel burners over the years I can't imagine the headache this could give out. Brings back the bad memories of being stuck snowed in on a mountain on a remote drill site where we ran the real big diesel ones 24 hours a day. And certainly if left in a closed building could have a buildup of CO.

Been on quite a few jobsites that kept a burn barrel going just so the workers could go get warmed up - maybe for that outside.

A couple years ago I saw some tamales being warmed up by one of those salamander heaters, It works!

I remember the days they would use kerosene fired salamanders inside buildings under construction.
we still have them but most are diesel with electric fans. Went to a tented site that was running one and it was a small slab on grade but just a few minutes into the inspection I had that killer headache. I own one that I have kept for years because I have had to tent over a vehicle or two over the years to get them started at 40 below. I used to plow with my four wheeler and a couple of years ago it was frozen in about 4" of ice. I pulled the heater out but had to repair it as the fuel lines have a tendency to rot out.

A couple years ago I saw some tamales being warmed up by one of those salamander heaters, It works!

Were they good??
They smelled great!

They turned a plastic milk create upside down and placed the tamales wrapped in foil on the create. They didn't offer me any, me being a gringo or Inspector I suspect, I couldn't accept one anyway, being an inspector.. you know!;)

I was called out to do a re-roof inspection and I went to the front door the gentleman invited me in to go to the backyard and said "You want one of those oranges on the table, just got them in from Texas!" I said they look great but sorry, "I can't except them!" I went out to the backyard, went around to both sides came back inside and looked at the front elevation, drove back to City Hall, and in the back seat there was four oranges... Now what do yah do?

I took them into the office and gave them to the Chief...Was that wrong?

Next time I'll lock the car,
I guess

Have not seen smudge pots here in CA in decades, by sometimes in the 1970's they were gone because of air quality regs, sometimes would see one as a shop heater.