• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

When does the Code require an engineers stamp?

Re: When does the Code require an engineers stamp?

Heaven said:
kilitact said:
Your statement that you don’t review structural submittals doesn’t say if you collect structural plan review fees. How do the field inspectors know which calculation/design they’re inspecting to? This absent of an essential aspect of plan review would be a dereliction of duty in my world.
No, no structural plan review fees. Commercial projects requiring a stamp by licensed professional have third party review and inspection and that is paid for by the client. But residential structural beyond the perscriptive, , , nope.

If I ask for (for instance) truss information, I check the design load, and then during inspection I may verify that they have been placed according to the submittal (such as bearing locations). Actually, I just inspected one Friday where the bottom chord of the last truss was cut out to allow for a stair to access the storage space above a garage : ) . . . so, something big out of whack like that, I am assuming I will see.

As Brudger commented, there are jurisdictions without any building department at all, none of those projects get reviewed or inspected. It is the responsibility of the builder/owner to meet code. Jurisdictions like mine take a small bite and do our best with it.

Well... it is the responsibility of the owner/builder & designer (regardless of license) to comply with the laws and regulations. In other words, it is my responsibility that the design meets code. It is the builder's job to build to code or according to the plans but never make changes to plans not prepared by them. This becomes a big issue. The Owner responsibility is to make sure all these things happen. The first person the **** hits is the owner then it rolls down to us when their is lawsuit and ultimately, when through the course of legal review of where the fault lies - the party in which the fault lies with ULTIMATELY pays. So if it is my fault then it lies with me and I ultimately get the shaft.

It comes down to the identifying of the party(-ies) at fault and the party(-ies) at fault pays.

This is why there is something called 'Remedy'.