• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

When is a PE useless?

Not that I don't trust insurance companies or anything.. But I can foresee that in the event of a claim the insurance company will state that since you did not use the stamp nor the number it was a personal opinion; you were not acting in a capacity of a licensed professional; your professional liability policy will not cover the problem.

But, not all insurance companies are evil. I think. :)

TimNY said:
Not that I don't trust insurance companies or anything.. But I can foresee that in the event of a claim the insurance company will state that since you did not use the stamp nor the number it was a personal opinion; you were not acting in a capacity of a licensed professional; your professional liability policy will not cover the problem.But, not all insurance companies are evil. I think. :)
My guess is that not using one's seal increases one's liability exposure because it can be construed as knowing one did not use the proper standard of care.

& & & &

But, not all insurance companies are evil. I think. :smile:
Please submit the name of one that is not.One of the current or former Forum members had an excellent "tag line"...

"The large print giveth and the small print taketh away!"

& & & &

In California and I believe most states a professional engineer needs to stamp and sign all engineering reports. The report on the septic tank appears to be an engineering report thus the lack of a stamp and signature would constitute a violation of state licensing law.