• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Where does a dead end corridor start?

CatHeard

I'm looking at a set of plans with an interesting dead-end corridor condition. The building is sprinklered and can use the 50'-0" length, but can someone weigh in on where they they would consider the 'start' of the corridor to be?
No walls are fire-rated (nor are they required to be). B/M occupancy. Room C is comprised of semi-height partitions, creating the corridor.

Attachments

• Dead End Corridor Snip.pdf
    86.6 KB · Views: 40
I'm looking at a set of plans with an interesting dead-end corridor condition. The building is sprinklered and can use the 50'-0" length, but can someone weigh in on where they they would consider the 'start' of the corridor to be?
How many exits or exit access doorways are required? I think 1020.4 only prohibits dead end corridors when more than one exit or exit access doorway is required. I don’t know if that can be applied to only a part of the building.

Room C is comprised of semi-height partitions, creating the corridor.
Now that I think more about it, if Room C is comprised of partial height partitions, do you even have a corridor? The definition of “corridor” is “an enclosed exit access component…” - wouldn’t the walls have to be full height to be considered “enclosed”?

How many exits or exit access doorways are required? I think 1020.4 only prohibits dead end corridors when more than one exit or exit access doorway is required. I don’t know if that can be applied to only a part of the building.
4 exits are required overall, this is just a small snippet of the building. Fortunately we've been cleared to do this deadend, we just can't exceed 50'

I ended up contacting the fire inspector to double check, and unfortunately they're measuring the dead-end corridor from the edge of room B, which makes our corridor exceed 50'. It sounds like this is a fairly unusual opinion, but, gotta go with it.

Now that I think more about it, if Room C is comprised of partial height partitions, do you even have a corridor? The definition of “corridor” is “an enclosed exit access component…” - wouldn’t the walls have to be full height to be considered “enclosed”?
I'd agree here, but unfortunately it is considered a corridor. The partitions are roughly bathroom height, so they count as 'full walls' but can be considered as one room.

4 exits are required overall, this is just a small snippet of the building. Fortunately we've been cleared to do this deadend, we just can't exceed 50'
OK, thanks for the clarification, just thought I’d ask.

I ended up contacting the fire inspector to double check, and unfortunately they're measuring the dead-end corridor from the edge of room B, which makes our corridor exceed 50'. It sounds like this is a fairly unusual opinion, but, gotta go with it.
I’ve been told that fire officials can impose additional requirements at their discretion beyond what the building code allows, so if that’s what they say that’s what you have to do, I guess.

I'd agree here, but unfortunately it is considered a corridor. The partitions are roughly bathroom height, so they count as 'full walls' but can be considered as one room.
Gotcha, I was picturing something much shorter, more like an open office configuration where you can stand up and look across the entire space.

What is your definition of corridor and "dead end" corridor in Code?

Reason I ask is that in Canadian Code, there is language that exempts a corridor contained within a suite - which might be what you have here.

Which is a roundabout way of saying that from my view, your drawing shows a hallway within a room. Possibly.

I’ve been told that fire officials can impose additional requirements at their discretion beyond what the building code allows,
Not legally. Unless the fire code is referenced by the building code to a specific section in the fire code then the fire code official has no legal say in what is required beyond what the building code requires, Application and interpretation of the building code is done by the building official not the fire code official. The fire code is referenced 3 times in Chapter 10, Sections 1002.1, 1002.2, 1010.1.9.7. None of them refer to dead ends corridors.

2018 IFC
[A] 102.4 Application of building code.
The design and construction of new structures shall comply with the International Building Code, and any alterations, additions, changes in use or changes in structures required by this code, which are within the scope of the International Building Code, shall be made in accordance therewith.

What is your definition of corridor and "dead end" corridor in Code?
“Corridor” is a defined term in IBC Chapter 2: “An enclosed exit access component that defines and provides a path of egress travel.” “Aisle” is the defined term for the unenclosed version of this: “An unenclosed exit access component that defines and provides a path of egress travel.”

“Dead end” is not specifically defined in Chapter 2, 1020.4 (Dead Ends) states the limitations on the length of dead-end corridors. Because it’s not specifically defined, the “common-use definition” would apply. The dictionary widget on my computer defines “dead end” as “an end of a road or passage from which no exit is possible.”

Reason I ask is that in Canadian Code, there is language that exempts a corridor contained within a suite - which might be what you have here.
I don’t see an exception regarding the location of the dead-end corridor in the IBC, just the length.

Corridors must be fire-resistance rated per Table 1020.1, I don’t think that a wall that doesn’t terminate at a ceiling of some kind (either the main ceiling of the building or maybe a lowered ceiling over just the corridor) can be considered a rated corridor per the Chapter 2 definition.

Not legally.
I love that, to think that the requirements with which we must comply are defined by the building code (a higher authority than a building official.) But the person who made that statement to me was building projects in a jurisdiction that was small enough that certain officials thought they had the authority to add to the code and there was no one to stop them.