• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Who is in charge of the Code Enforcement / Code Compliance Department?

Is your Code Compliance department under the:
1) Building Department
2) Police Department
3) Stand Alone Department
4) Other
Other: In my Jurisdiction, they are part of the PD, Funded through CBDG funding, but work out of, and with, the Community Development Department.

Here:

1) Building Department
2) Police Department

we both do it. Depends on what the by-law being enforced is and at what time (after office hours is always police).

There are a Division, like Building Inspection and P&Z, under Community Development.

Back before me, about 17yrs ago, the officers were under Building.

We were a fully functioning building department for a while. We had the Building Commissioner who was the CBO., plans examiner, six inspectors, four clerical staff (one was permit technician)

Now we are Community Development department. We have a Director (urban planner), Deputy Director (urban planner) and a planner (urban planner). We have a part time building official (never certified - health official) and then the plans examiner (me), four inspectors and five clerical/admin staff (no permit technician)

Since this new regime, all of the inspectors have left, permit tech left, our commissioner has been reduced to part time and gave up the farm to the urban planners and the clerical staff has expanded cuz no one knows what they are doing.

Its not been so much fun lately (think hellfires around you) and I look forward to retiring in five years or finding a new job somewhere.

Not me

(2) Permit fees must only be used for those costs related to building code enforcement activities, except for the building codes education fund as provided in 50-60-116, MCA, with building codes being only those codes adopted by the department in subchapters 1, 3, 4, and 15 of ARM Title 24, chapter 301. It is not intended that permit fees be used to support fire departments, planning, zoning, or other activities, except to the extent that employees in those programs provide direct plan review, inspection, or other building code enforcement services for the city, county, or town's building code enforcement programs. Permit fees shall not be used to support the inspection of existing buildings for maintenance or for abatement of dangerous buildings.

Our building department is actually a division of the fire department - which is nice because the fire marshal and the BO have offices right next to each other and they are able coordinate with each other.

Our building department is actually a division of the fire department - which is nice because the fire marshal and the BO have offices right next to each other and they are able coordinate with each other.
Isn't that great? I can look across the cube's where all the Building Inspectors are, and the Fire guys are, and see the Fire Marshalls office. We work hand in hand with them, down to business fire/safety inspections. We are not part of Fire (I would not have a problem with it) but what we have works out very well.

It's just me, and I report to the City Manager. I think I'm technically an "administrative" employee.

So - Other? None of the above?

Is your Code Compliance department under the:
1) Building Department
2) Police Department
3) Stand Alone Department
4) Other
We are one department “Code Enforcement” that is split into two internally: Building and Housing (Code Compliance). And we actually fall under the City Engineer and the Engineering Department (which is separate, but the City Engineer is our overall boss, who our Code Director answers to).