• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Why Contractors Avoid Pulling Building Permits: Uncovering the Truth

Why Contractors Avoid Pulling Building Permits: Uncovering the Truth​

Introduction​

In the complex world of construction and home improvement, the decision to pull a building permit is often clouded by misconceptions, misinformation, and sometimes deliberate avoidance. As a seasoned Building Official with extensive experience in the field, I've witnessed firsthand the myriad reasons contractors avoid this crucial step, and the consequences that follow. This article delves into the often-overlooked aspects of why contractors skip permits and the psychological interplay between contractors and homeowners, drawing on both personal experiences and comprehensive research.

The Reality of Permitting: A Closer Look​

The Misconception of Time Delays​

A common argument presented by contractors against pulling permits is the alleged time delay. Many homeowners are led to believe that obtaining a permit can take months, causing unnecessary project delays. In reality, this is often a gross exaggeration. Depending on the jurisdiction and project scope, permits can be issued relatively quickly, sometimes even on the same day for simpler projects like roofing or water heater replacements.

The Fear of Exposure and Technical Incompetence​

At the heart of permit avoidance, especially among less scrupulous contractors, is the fear of exposure. Contractors who doubt their ability to meet the technical standards set by building codes may opt to bypass the permit process. This evasion is particularly concerning, as even competent contractors sometimes fail inspections, raising questions about the quality of work done without any oversight.

Misleading Homeowners: A Game of Trust​

The contractor-homeowner relationship is often underpinned by trust, sometimes misplaced. Contractors, adept at salesmanship, can build a strong rapport with homeowners, persuading them that permits are unnecessary. This tactic not only endangers the structural integrity of the project but also places homeowners in a precarious legal position. When contractors blame the building department for their failures or project delays, they deflect responsibility, further complicating the issue.

My Experience as a Building Official​

One striking example from my career involved a contractor who, despite obtaining a permit for a new house, chose to ignore the approved plans, leading to a failed inspection. The contractor's attempt to charge the homeowner an additional $8,000 and blame the building department highlights the deceitful practices in the industry. Such scenarios underscore the importance of permits and inspections in maintaining building integrity and safety.

The Legal and Financial Repercussions of Permit Evasion​

The consequences of not pulling permits extend beyond immediate project concerns. Homeowners face significant financial and legal repercussions, ranging from fines to increased costs when selling their homes. Unpermitted renovations can lower a home's market value and complicate real estate transactions, potentially leading to costly retroactive permitting processes and even legal disputes.

Safety and Compliance: The Core of Permitting​

At its core, the permit process is about ensuring safety and compliance with local codes and regulations. This oversight is crucial for the integrity of HVAC systems, plumbing, and electrical installations. By adhering to these standards, homeowners safeguard not only their investment but also their personal safety, reducing the risk of accidents and ensuring quality workmanship.

Navigating the Permit Process: Advice for Homeowners​

For homeowners embarking on construction or renovation projects, understanding the permitting process is key. Consulting with legal or construction experts can provide clarity and help navigate the complex landscape of building codes and regulations. Homeowners should be vigilant, questioning contractors' claims about permit requirements, and ensuring due diligence is performed before work begins.

Conclusion​

The decision to pull a building permit is not just a bureaucratic formality; it's a critical step in safeguarding the safety, legality, and financial viability of any construction project. As we've explored, contractors may avoid pulling permits for various reasons, but the risks and consequences of such avoidance are too significant to ignore. Homeowners must be informed and proactive, ensuring that their projects comply with local standards and regulations. As a Building Official, I've seen the pitfalls of permit evasion and the importance of upholding these standards for the safety and integrity of our homes and communities.

References in addition to direct experience:
  1. "Who Is Responsible for Pulling Permits? Get the Facts Here" - REthority.
  2. "Consequences of Renovating Without a Permit" - RenoFi.
  3. "Importance of Pulling Home Improvement Permits" - Bellows Plumbing, Heating, Cooling, Electrical Repair & Install.
  4. "Understanding the Importance of Building Permits" - John Caravella Esq., LIConstructionLaw.com.
  5. "Key Reasons to Always Pull a Permit for Home Projects" - Bellows Plumbing, Heating, Cooling, Electrical Repair & Install.

The ratio of permitted to un-permitted work is not well documented and it varies with location. I have an opinion that runs afoul of what a typical building official holds. For the population at large I recommend that they hire contractors that obtain a permit. Odds are not great that a permit will benefit them… but there is the outside chance that it will tip the scales in their favor.

Last edited:
Most houses here are in gated communities that are strict about getting permits. I think most permits are missed at large industrial buildings that have a crew of Maintenace workers and haven't had a permit in years. I know some of these workers (not in my in my area) and they are always telling me about some major construction they are doing without permits. Moving walls, new rooms, closing off doors, new HVAC systems, small additions, new electrical panels, etc. Who knows what they are doing in these fenced off large areas and buildings.

Last edited:
Most houses here are in gated communities that are strict about getting permits.
Is that really so? The majority of houses are in gated communities? I've never lived in one nor even have seen one in my area. I suspect the majority of residential work - other than complete new builds - in my region is without permit and inspection. Maybe that's your point.

Oh, come on.

EVERYONE knows the only reason building permits are required is so the tax assessor knows to increase your taxes. :rolleyes:
not true, assessment for taxes is based on finished square feet, comparable property is and condition of the building. Taxes do not increase for windows door, siding or roofing unless the building was unserviceable before the renovation.

The ratio of permitted to un-permitted work is not well documented and it varies with location. I have an opinion that runs afoul of what a typical building official holds. For the population at large I recommend that they hire contractors that obtain a permit. Odds are not great that a permit will benefit them… but there is the outside chance that it will tip the scales in their favor.

I looked at our permits the other day. We had almost 900 permits for the year. I also had over 120 stop work orders and of those close to 90 required and led to a permit. So we are at about 10% and that is only what we catch which means you can probably double this number. JMHO.

I wish I could still access that post. I can't find it even with the link you provided.

I wish I could still access that post. I can't find it even with the link you provided.
I can make it happen. It's probably just gonna piss you off.

There are reasons for not obtaining a permit. My yard used to slope towards the street. It was grass and rabbit turds. More turds than grass. The city offered to pay me to remove the water hungry turf. So I got a building permit and built a retaining wall. The inspector came for the footing inspection while I was cleaning out the excavation with a ShopVac. He said that he's never seen anyone so meticulous with a footing and therefor he didn't bother to look at anything. He signed the card and away he went.

He returned several days later and crossed his name off the job card. He said that the wall shall be set back two feet. I showed him the approved plan that has the wall right where it is. I had the first few courses of CMUs in place and this inspector is telling me to start over. I called the BO and explained they had a shot at it and missed the target. He said that he would let it stand if I grew Ivy on the face of the wall. As you can see, I declined.

For a few hundred dollars and my time I had a dolt show up and waive the inspection. Since then I have replaced both HVAC systems, french doors with sliders, overhauled two balconies and a repipe without asking the city to be a part of it.

The point of the story is that code compliance abuse works both ways. I have seen the light. Okay I admit that I am not the typical civilian that should rely on a code professional to evaluate the result....but those civilians are just getting screwed...twice.

IMG_4408.JPG

2024 update: 53 windows and four sliders. Anlin windows. Tan not white. LowE-4, tempered for the high fire zone, with half the house tinted. The contractor has done four houses for my extended family. Never mentioned permits.

I compared Anlin windows with several major brands. For nearly the same price, Anlin uses 3/16" thick glass for the inside pane. The difference it made with the sound level is remarkable. I went with LowE-4 as opposed to the code required LowE-3 mainly for the darker shade from the exterior as the additional energy savings is slim.

Can you see a cougar in the background... upper left...... no?.... me neither.

20240105_092413.jpg

Last edited:
The first picture … does it bother you having the retaining wall right on the edge of the driveway? Seems like it would make backing out of the drive a little awkward.

The first picture … does it bother you having the retaining wall right on the edge of the driveway? Seems like it would make backing out of the drive a little awkward.
I back in. My wife backs out. Her driving is more than a little awkward. She parks far enough to the left that it’s safe to back out. Thankfully, there isn’t much traffic on our street.

A common argument presented by contractors against pulling permits is the alleged time delay. Many homeowners are led to believe that obtaining a permit can take months, causing unnecessary project delays. In reality, this is often a gross exaggeration. Depending on the jurisdiction and project scope, permits can be issued relatively quickly, sometimes even on the same day for simpler projects like roofing or water heater replacements.
Jar546, it really depends on where you live. I am located in a highly regulated area (southern California). Many communities have reached a regulatory tipping point, where a relatively simple project can get burdened and expanded with multiple additional regulatory hurdles, including design reviews that can take months - just for replacement windows!, energy code upgrades, no new gas appliances, mandatory construction waste recycling documentation, mandatory fire sprinklers on alterations, stormwater processing / LID for driveway repaving, etc.

By tipping point, I mean that it is easier for most homeowners to take a chance with bootlegging the project than with going legit. This is especially true when such a high % of our construction workforce is itself "bootlegged" (undocumented and unlicensed), and our entire construction economy has come to depend on looking the other way. Once this happens, it's a race to the bottom. for example, many have noticed that bootleg remodelers just dump their waste on the roadside / freeway onramp, rather than post a bond and pay to document waste diversion.
1704499671072.png

Jar546, it really depends on where you live. I am located in a highly regulated area (southern California). Many communities have reached a regulatory tipping point, where a relatively simple project can get burdened and expanded with multiple additional regulatory hurdles, including design reviews that can take months - just for replacement windows!, energy code upgrades, no new gas appliances, mandatory construction waste recycling documentation, mandatory fire sprinklers on alterations, stormwater processing / LID for driveway repaving, etc.

By tipping point, I mean that it is easier for most homeowners to take a chance with bootlegging the project than with going legit. This is especially true when such a high % of our construction workforce is itself "bootlegged" (undocumented and unlicensed), and our entire construction economy has come to depend on looking the other way. Once this happens, it's a race to the bottom. for example, many have noticed that bootleg remodelers just dump their waste on the roadside / freeway onramp, rather than post a bond and pay to document waste diversion.
View attachment 12528
If all of that weren’t bad enough, the inspector that shows up is likely to be incompetent and just going through the motions. It is such a disappointment to witness the erosion in the ranks of inspectors.

Last edited:
not true, assessment for taxes is based on finished square feet, comparable property is and condition of the building. Taxes do not increase for windows door, siding or roofing unless the building was unserviceable before the renovation.

I was commenting facetiously. The belief that building permits are required only as a way to increase tax assessments is so wide-spread around this area that it's probably fair to say it's almost universal.

I was commenting facetiously. The belief that building permits are required only as a way to increase tax assessments is so wide-spread around this area that it's probably fair to say it's almost universal.
That is why I don't spread that roomer and correct it at any time I see it. The Town's assessor accompanies me to new home finals and bigger renovations so they can "ensure faire and equitable value" engages with the home owner about when and what will happen to there value and answers questions.

Years ago I worked a city that would charge $1000 for a team from the planning dept and building department to pay a visit prior to closing on a property sale. Apparently, buyers were not made aware of that because if they knew about it, I doubt some of what came to light would have been there.

The place was populated by wealthy people and too much money can lead to a strange happening.

This topic is so old that I posted this in Auigust of 2011.

Planning departments have rules. Those rules are not all that complicated and most projects involve little more than setbacks. Now since they have rules, they come first and are joined at the hip with the building dept.

Lets say a girl wants to build a patio cover. Go see planning with four sets of your plan, pay $$$.$$, expect an answer in three weeks and we're sorry if it took eight. How about a commercial site that wants to add a trash enclosure, same drill only longer and more expensive. And the list goes on.

When planning fees can cost as much as the patio cover, is there a better way? If the time spent in review by a planner is 10 minutes, why is a three week wait the norm? And please don't tell me that you pay a planner $5000.00 per day.

Ya I know there is overhead. A lot of that has to do with the prime real estate you're on. You and the rest of government aught to occupy vacant storefronts.

Be a real achiever and put a few houses on a property. What happens then? You wait a year or more. You could give the government pick of the litter and be able to afford it if they cut the fee to what it cost and did the 3 hours of review in 2 hours instead of 18 months.

The building dept. can turnaround plans in six weeks yet, a planning dept. review can take 1/36th of the average man's life.

I know of a city that requires an inspection by planning and building before any structure can be sold. The fee was $1000.00. On occasion, the hidden cost was 30 times the fee.

A fixer-upper would run $3 million and a beater could be had for a cool million. $2 million got you my house, located there. "Nice" properties were double digit millions. (quadruple the numbers in 2024)

There were some fabulous bootleg structures.

A few had me wondering about their effect on Earth's rotation.

One girl had a couple acres of manicured forest and three in-ground spas. Each spa was supplied by two large gas fired pool heaters. All of the equipment was located in a building made of logs. The spas were spread out on the property and hidden among the trees. It took less than ten minutes to heat all three spas. It took a lot longer than that to legalize them and for the money, she could have another spa.

Why Contractors Avoid Pulling Building Permits: Uncovering the Truth​

Introduction​

In the complex world of construction and home improvement, the decision to pull a building permit is often clouded by misconceptions, misinformation, and sometimes deliberate avoidance. As a seasoned Building Official with extensive experience in the field, I've witnessed firsthand the myriad reasons contractors avoid this crucial step, and the consequences that follow. This article delves into the often-overlooked aspects of why contractors skip permits and the psychological interplay between contractors and homeowners, drawing on both personal experiences and comprehensive research.

The Reality of Permitting: A Closer Look​

The Misconception of Time Delays​

The Fear of Exposure and Technical Incompetence​

At the heart of permit avoidance, especially among less scrupulous contractors, is the fear of exposure. Contractors who doubt their ability to meet the technical standards set by building codes may opt to bypass the permit process. This evasion is particularly concerning, as even competent contractors sometimes fail inspections, raising questions about the quality of work done without any oversight.

Misleading Homeowners: A Game of Trust​

The contractor-homeowner relationship is often underpinned by trust, sometimes misplaced. Contractors, adept at salesmanship, can build a strong rapport with homeowners, persuading them that permits are unnecessary. This tactic not only endangers the structural integrity of the project but also places homeowners in a precarious legal position. When contractors blame the building department for their failures or project delays, they deflect responsibility, further complicating the issue.

My Experience as a Building Official​

One striking example from my career involved a contractor who, despite obtaining a permit for a new house, chose to ignore the approved plans, leading to a failed inspection. The contractor's attempt to charge the homeowner an additional $8,000 and blame the building department highlights the deceitful practices in the industry. Such scenarios underscore the importance of permits and inspections in maintaining building integrity and safety.

The Legal and Financial Repercussions of Permit Evasion​

The consequences of not pulling permits extend beyond immediate project concerns. Homeowners face significant financial and legal repercussions, ranging from fines to increased costs when selling their homes. Unpermitted renovations can lower a home's market value and complicate real estate transactions, potentially leading to costly retroactive permitting processes and even legal disputes.

Safety and Compliance: The Core of Permitting​

At its core, the permit process is about ensuring safety and compliance with local codes and regulations. This oversight is crucial for the integrity of HVAC systems, plumbing, and electrical installations. By adhering to these standards, homeowners safeguard not only their investment but also their personal safety, reducing the risk of accidents and ensuring quality workmanship.

Navigating the Permit Process: Advice for Homeowners​

For homeowners embarking on construction or renovation projects, understanding the permitting process is key. Consulting with legal or construction experts can provide clarity and help navigate the complex landscape of building codes and regulations. Homeowners should be vigilant, questioning contractors' claims about permit requirements, and ensuring due diligence is performed before work begins.

Conclusion​

The decision to pull a building permit is not just a bureaucratic formality; it's a critical step in safeguarding the safety, legality, and financial viability of any construction project. As we've explored, contractors may avoid pulling permits for various reasons, but the risks and consequences of such avoidance are too significant to ignore. Homeowners must be informed and proactive, ensuring that their projects comply with local standards and regulations. As a Building Official, I've seen the pitfalls of permit evasion and the importance of upholding these standards for the safety and integrity of our homes and communities.

References in addition to direct experience:
  1. "Who Is Responsible for Pulling Permits? Get the Facts Here" - REthority.
  2. "Consequences of Renovating Without a Permit" - RenoFi.
  3. "Importance of Pulling Home Improvement Permits" - Bellows Plumbing, Heating, Cooling, Electrical Repair & Install.
  4. "Understanding the Importance of Building Permits" - John Caravella Esq., LIConstructionLaw.com.
  5. "Key Reasons to Always Pull a Permit for Home Projects" - Bellows Plumbing, Heating, Cooling, Electrical Repair & Install.
I agree with your article about the wisdom and the need to get a Permit but would like to add thought or two. Contractors who have the unfortunate experience of having a BCO Bldg Code Official who Inflicts the Code and Not APPLY the Code is often inclined to Not "Pull a Permit" We need to have a certain amount of Humility when we do our job. I have shared with the contractors that a Permit is an Insurance Policy. By making clear what you are going to do and then have a 3rd party "Sign Off" that it was done properly can save your bacon if there is a Property or. Heaven forbid, a loss of life from a fire or some other situation. That possibility alone should make you want to get a Permit. Also, the Code Officials should make it clear that the Permit is for the MINIMUM SAFETY REQUIREMENTS it is Not Best Practices or even a "Good Job" that might anticipate some future work that a dollar spent today, may save 5 dollars a year from now. We shouldn't "oversell" the Permit Process. I hope you agree with these additional thoughts

Also, the Code Officials should make it clear that the Permit is for the MINIMUM SAFETY REQUIREMENTS it is Not Best Practices or even a "Good Job" that might anticipate some future work that a dollar spent today, may save 5 dollars a year from now. We shouldn't "oversell" the Permit Process. I hope you agree with these additional thoughts

We are breaking in a rookie plumbing inspector at work and this is something I have to keep reminding him of. As a code inspector, he's not allowed to delve into how he would have done it, or how it might be done better, faster, or cheaper. He is there to determine whether or not it meets code -- period.

We are breaking in a rookie plumbing inspector at work and this is something I have to keep reminding him of. As a code inspector, he's not allowed to delve into how he would have done it, or how it might be done better, faster, or cheaper. He is there to determine whether or not it meets code -- period.
I would like to suggest that you share with your New Guy, that while you are stepping over the line by "Telling the contractor How they are doing the job ( we are usually reviewing the finished product) you can often help by ASKING QUESTIONS
Give them something to think about for the next time, Most Inspectors want to Help, especially the new contractors, but how you do it and not step Over the Line is the challenge,