• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Why Contractors Avoid Pulling Building Permits: Uncovering the Truth

Why Contractors Avoid Pulling Building Permits: Uncovering the Truth​

Introduction​

In the complex world of construction and home improvement, the decision to pull a building permit is often clouded by misconceptions, misinformation, and sometimes deliberate avoidance. As a seasoned Building Official with extensive experience in the field, I've witnessed firsthand the myriad reasons contractors avoid this crucial step, and the consequences that follow. This article delves into the often-overlooked aspects of why contractors skip permits and the psychological interplay between contractors and homeowners, drawing on both personal experiences and comprehensive research.

The Reality of Permitting: A Closer Look​

The Misconception of Time Delays​

A common argument presented by contractors against pulling permits is the alleged time delay. Many homeowners are led to believe that obtaining a permit can take months, causing unnecessary project delays. In reality, this is often a gross exaggeration. Depending on the jurisdiction and project scope, permits can be issued relatively quickly, sometimes even on the same day for simpler projects like roofing or water heater replacements.

The Fear of Exposure and Technical Incompetence​

At the heart of permit avoidance, especially among less scrupulous contractors, is the fear of exposure. Contractors who doubt their ability to meet the technical standards set by building codes may opt to bypass the permit process. This evasion is particularly concerning, as even competent contractors sometimes fail inspections, raising questions about the quality of work done without any oversight.

Misleading Homeowners: A Game of Trust​

The contractor-homeowner relationship is often underpinned by trust, sometimes misplaced. Contractors, adept at salesmanship, can build a strong rapport with homeowners, persuading them that permits are unnecessary. This tactic not only endangers the structural integrity of the project but also places homeowners in a precarious legal position. When contractors blame the building department for their failures or project delays, they deflect responsibility, further complicating the issue.

My Experience as a Building Official​

One striking example from my career involved a contractor who, despite obtaining a permit for a new house, chose to ignore the approved plans, leading to a failed inspection. The contractor's attempt to charge the homeowner an additional $8,000 and blame the building department highlights the deceitful practices in the industry. Such scenarios underscore the importance of permits and inspections in maintaining building integrity and safety.

The Legal and Financial Repercussions of Permit Evasion​

The consequences of not pulling permits extend beyond immediate project concerns. Homeowners face significant financial and legal repercussions, ranging from fines to increased costs when selling their homes. Unpermitted renovations can lower a home's market value and complicate real estate transactions, potentially leading to costly retroactive permitting processes and even legal disputes.

Safety and Compliance: The Core of Permitting​

At its core, the permit process is about ensuring safety and compliance with local codes and regulations. This oversight is crucial for the integrity of HVAC systems, plumbing, and electrical installations. By adhering to these standards, homeowners safeguard not only their investment but also their personal safety, reducing the risk of accidents and ensuring quality workmanship.

Navigating the Permit Process: Advice for Homeowners​

For homeowners embarking on construction or renovation projects, understanding the permitting process is key. Consulting with legal or construction experts can provide clarity and help navigate the complex landscape of building codes and regulations. Homeowners should be vigilant, questioning contractors' claims about permit requirements, and ensuring due diligence is performed before work begins.

Conclusion​

The decision to pull a building permit is not just a bureaucratic formality; it's a critical step in safeguarding the safety, legality, and financial viability of any construction project. As we've explored, contractors may avoid pulling permits for various reasons, but the risks and consequences of such avoidance are too significant to ignore. Homeowners must be informed and proactive, ensuring that their projects comply with local standards and regulations. As a Building Official, I've seen the pitfalls of permit evasion and the importance of upholding these standards for the safety and integrity of our homes and communities.

References in addition to direct experience:
  1. "Who Is Responsible for Pulling Permits? Get the Facts Here" - REthority.
  2. "Consequences of Renovating Without a Permit" - RenoFi.
  3. "Importance of Pulling Home Improvement Permits" - Bellows Plumbing, Heating, Cooling, Electrical Repair & Install.
  4. "Understanding the Importance of Building Permits" - John Caravella Esq., LIConstructionLaw.com.
  5. "Key Reasons to Always Pull a Permit for Home Projects" - Bellows Plumbing, Heating, Cooling, Electrical Repair & Install.

Nope. Not until all field inspectors wear body cams. I say, "I asked him if he had considered doing it this other way." The contractor says, "He told me to tear it out and do it another way."

He said / she said is not a good defense in court. If it meets code, pass it and shut up.
As a Plan Reviewer doing, what we call a MAKE SAFE that has been deemed ID Immanently dangerous ( yes it is thought to be on the verge of collapse) I am reviewing a Professional Engineer's Report and "recommendation (?) on how it is going to look when it is repaired.

Problem was, the situation was shared with abutting property AND the Repair perscription DID NOT include the abutting property or have a clear Means and Methods aspect.
Well I am "merely" the Plan Reviewer and NOT the Licenced, Design Professional. So when I saw the situation of the contractor, who has Completed Operations Liability Insurance (that does Not include Design Errors and Omissions Coverage,) I picked up the phone and called the engineer, introduced myself and told him I had Some Concerns ( Yes I became a Social Worker probably like Dr Phil)

I then told him I was Confused and a little later said I was surprised by his drawing. We were just having a chat So I could UNDERSTAND. The Engineer substantially changed his drawing and the contractor returned the following morning and I REVIEWED IT and Issued a Permit

This doesn't happen often, but I know I saved the Contractor or his worker's LIMBS or their LIfe by Artfully addressing the situation.

Be happy to provide the details offline, if you would like to hear and understand 267.784.2401

Why Contractors Avoid Pulling Building Permits: Uncovering the Truth​

Introduction​

In the complex world of construction and home improvement, the decision to pull a building permit is often clouded by misconceptions, misinformation, and sometimes deliberate avoidance. As a seasoned Building Official with extensive experience in the field, I've witnessed firsthand the myriad reasons contractors avoid this crucial step, and the consequences that follow. This article delves into the often-overlooked aspects of why contractors skip permits and the psychological interplay between contractors and homeowners, drawing on both personal experiences and comprehensive research.

The Reality of Permitting: A Closer Look​

The Misconception of Time Delays​

A common argument presented by contractors against pulling permits is the alleged time delay. Many homeowners are led to believe that obtaining a permit can take months, causing unnecessary project delays. In reality, this is often a gross exaggeration. Depending on the jurisdiction and project scope, permits can be issued relatively quickly, sometimes even on the same day for simpler projects like roofing or water heater replacements.

The Fear of Exposure and Technical Incompetence​

At the heart of permit avoidance, especially among less scrupulous contractors, is the fear of exposure. Contractors who doubt their ability to meet the technical standards set by building codes may opt to bypass the permit process. This evasion is particularly concerning, as even competent contractors sometimes fail inspections, raising questions about the quality of work done without any oversight.

Misleading Homeowners: A Game of Trust​

The contractor-homeowner relationship is often underpinned by trust, sometimes misplaced. Contractors, adept at salesmanship, can build a strong rapport with homeowners, persuading them that permits are unnecessary. This tactic not only endangers the structural integrity of the project but also places homeowners in a precarious legal position. When contractors blame the building department for their failures or project delays, they deflect responsibility, further complicating the issue.

My Experience as a Building Official​

One striking example from my career involved a contractor who, despite obtaining a permit for a new house, chose to ignore the approved plans, leading to a failed inspection. The contractor's attempt to charge the homeowner an additional $8,000 and blame the building department highlights the deceitful practices in the industry. Such scenarios underscore the importance of permits and inspections in maintaining building integrity and safety.

The Legal and Financial Repercussions of Permit Evasion​

The consequences of not pulling permits extend beyond immediate project concerns. Homeowners face significant financial and legal repercussions, ranging from fines to increased costs when selling their homes. Unpermitted renovations can lower a home's market value and complicate real estate transactions, potentially leading to costly retroactive permitting processes and even legal disputes.

Safety and Compliance: The Core of Permitting​

At its core, the permit process is about ensuring safety and compliance with local codes and regulations. This oversight is crucial for the integrity of HVAC systems, plumbing, and electrical installations. By adhering to these standards, homeowners safeguard not only their investment but also their personal safety, reducing the risk of accidents and ensuring quality workmanship.

Navigating the Permit Process: Advice for Homeowners​

For homeowners embarking on construction or renovation projects, understanding the permitting process is key. Consulting with legal or construction experts can provide clarity and help navigate the complex landscape of building codes and regulations. Homeowners should be vigilant, questioning contractors' claims about permit requirements, and ensuring due diligence is performed before work begins.

Conclusion​

The decision to pull a building permit is not just a bureaucratic formality; it's a critical step in safeguarding the safety, legality, and financial viability of any construction project. As we've explored, contractors may avoid pulling permits for various reasons, but the risks and consequences of such avoidance are too significant to ignore. Homeowners must be informed and proactive, ensuring that their projects comply with local standards and regulations. As a Building Official, I've seen the pitfalls of permit evasion and the importance of upholding these standards for the safety and integrity of our homes and communities.

References in addition to direct experience:
  1. "Who Is Responsible for Pulling Permits? Get the Facts Here" - REthority.
  2. "Consequences of Renovating Without a Permit" - RenoFi.
  3. "Importance of Pulling Home Improvement Permits" - Bellows Plumbing, Heating, Cooling, Electrical Repair & Install.
  4. "Understanding the Importance of Building Permits" - John Caravella Esq., LIConstructionLaw.com.
  5. "Key Reasons to Always Pull a Permit for Home Projects" - Bellows Plumbing, Heating, Cooling, Electrical Repair & Install.
The proportion of work done with permits compared to without isn't clearly recorded and tends to differ by area. My view doesn't exactly align with the standard stance of building officials. Generally, I advise people to hire contractors who secure permits. The likelihood of a permit directly benefiting them isn't high, yet there's a slim chance it could end up being advantageous.

The proportion of work done with permits compared to without isn't clearly recorded and tends to differ by area. My view doesn't exactly align with the standard stance of building officials. Generally, I advise people to hire contractors who secure permits. The likelihood of a permit directly benefiting them isn't high, yet there's a slim chance it could end up being advantageous.
Out here in the sticks, it was the wild west for a while. A couple years back, enforcements (people building illegally) represented about 40 per cent of the permits we issued.

I'm not sure about the validity of the last part of your post. We receive so many requests for ALL building permits and CoOs for houses in town that the department hired a third, half-time clerical staff person just to handle deal with all those requests. It seems that realtors or title insurors are bending over backwards to ensure that the new roof that was installed last summer or the basement recreation room that was added to years ago were properly permitted, inspected, and approved.

We also get a metric boatload of requests to inspect and issue certificates for work that was completed without benefit of permit or inspection.

I'd say not being able to sell your house when you have a buyer lined up is a significant disadvantage.

I'm not sure about the validity of the last part of your post. We receive so many requests for ALL building permits and CoOs for houses in town that the department hired a third, half-time clerical staff person just to handle deal with all those requests. It seems that realtors or title insurors are bending over backwards to ensure that the new roof that was installed last summer or the basement recreation room that was added to years ago were properly permitted, inspected, and approved.
Roofing Contractor Mclean Va
We also get a metric boatload of requests to inspect and issue certificates for work that was completed without benefit of permit or inspection.

I'd say not being able to sell your house when you have a buyer lined up is a significant disadvantage.
It's interesting to hear about the sheer volume of requests your department receives for building permits and CoOs. It certainly paints a picture of the diligence exercised by realtors and title insurers in ensuring that modifications like new roofs or basement additions comply with regulations. The effort to rectify unpermitted work through inspections and certifications also highlights the critical nature of this issue. Your point about the potential deal-breaker for sales when unpermitted work is discovered is well-taken. It underscores the importance of proper permitting and inspection from the get-go. How does your department manage the workload, and what advice would you give to homeowners to avoid such pitfalls?

The likelihood of a permit directly benefiting them isn't high, yet there's a slim chance it could end up being advantageous.
With the suspicion that this is a BS account setting up for spam using AI, I will respond to this comment.

Good contractors who pull permits fail inspections. Their response to a failed inspection is to fix the issue and learn from it immediately. We all make mistakes. Architects, Engineers, Building Officials, Plans Examiners, Inspectors, and Contractors alike make mistakes. This is why there is a system in place to help minimize, not eliminate, but minimize, the problems that are inherent to construction. When we catch work being done without a permit, I can tell you that we also find code violations 100% of the time. So if good contractors fail inspections knowing they are going to get inspected, don't you think that those that don't get a permit, knowing they are not going to get inspected, will do? They will get away with whatever they can or not do what they don't know is required because there was no plan review.

With the suspicion that this is a BS account setting up for spam using AI, I will respond to this comment.

Good contractors who pull permits fail inspections. Their response to a failed inspection is to fix the issue and learn from it immediately. We all make mistakes. Architects, Engineers, Building Officials, Plans Examiners, Inspectors, and Contractors alike make mistakes. This is why there is a system in place to help minimize, not eliminate, but minimize, the problems that are inherent to construction. When we catch work being done without a permit, I can tell you that we also find code violations 100% of the time. So if good contractors fail inspections knowing they are going to get inspected, don't you think that those that don't get a permit, knowing they are not going to get inspected, will do? They will get away with whatever they can or not do what they don't know is required because there was no plan review.
Agreed. Most contractors I have worked with view the building permit regime as a quality assurance program for their clients and the cheapest insurance they have ever bought.

Your point about the potential deal-breaker for sales when unpermitted work is discovered is well-taken. It underscores the importance of proper permitting and inspection from the get-go. How does your department manage the workload, and what advice would you give to homeowners to avoid such pitfalls?

We manage the workload by having hired an additional, half-time staff member to process the requests.

My advice to homeowners is to be sure their contract with the contractor stipulates that he/they will take out all necessary permits, and to verify that the permit(s) is/are properly posted on the site before the work starts. Our town also has an on-line permitting system, so property owners can establish an account and log in to verify their permit as well as to view the results of inspections. Legally, it is the property owner's responsibility to take out permits. When I contractor does this, he is doing so as an agent of the owner. So when a contractor starts work without a permit, it is the owner who is liable.

"we all make mistakes"

Well IMHO, A Mistake is an ERROR that can't be Corrected! i once thought I made a Mistake, I was Wrong!

"we all make mistakes"

Well IMHO, A Mistake is an ERROR that can't be Corrected! i once thought I made a Mistake, I was Wrong!
The greatest advice I ever received came from Ray, the functioning alcoholic carpet installer. I was early in the days of learning how to install floors, and frigged up some patch.
Ray grabbed a hammer, smashed the crap out of my mess, and told me to do it again.
And then he said words of wisdom that have stuck with me since that summer of 1985:

"Professionals only make mistakes they can fix."

The greatest advice I ever received came from Ray, the functioning alcoholic carpet installer. I was early in the days of learning how to install floors, and frigged up some patch.
Ray grabbed a hammer, smashed the crap out of my mess, and told me to do it again.
And then he said words of wisdom that have stuck with me since that summer of 1985:

"Professionals only make mistakes they can fix."
I love it! My formal apprenticeship started in 67' and had those WW2 and Korean War Vets as the "Mechanics" We still don't call people Journeymen, We had Mechanic for the "skilled Trades and Laborers. Although most of the "Laborers" I worked commercial construction with were 80% of my skill set.

Great working with people who not only What and How to do the job but also knew WHY they did it that way.

Sounds like you had the benefit of working with the same kind of people

Best, Mike