• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Why Pennsylvania Needs Statewide Licensing of Contractors

Contractor licensing in Pa. Would it help, maybe but not likely. Living in Pennsylvania, I’ve spent time in Florida and Texas and see the same garbage builds throughout all 3 states, then we have ICE’s pics and I would assume California has one of the highest standards for licensing as they seem to regulate more then not.

Some of Jar’s examples should have been picked up at plan review so fault lies within both parties, the bldr and inspector.

If you are going to build you need insurance and without licensing there is no record to hold one accountable. yes you are going to have shabby work no matter what but your insurance company will not pay after the first few screw ups or your premiums will be through the roof. If we just allow anyone to build the ones getting shafted are our neighbors. Maybe the problem is greed just saying.

Licensing is not about holding somebody accountable. All licensing does is to verify minimum qualifications to do the work and when an individual violates the licensing laws removing the privileges' inferred by the license.

The courts are the vehicle to determine who is accountable.

All licensing does is to verify minimum qualifications to do the work.

Not in California. Licensing here is a cruel hoax. A license has no correlation to qualification. Calluses mean so much more than a license.

Not in California. Licensing here is a cruel hoax. A license has no correlation to qualifications.

My point exactly, obtaining a license has no correlation to quality or knowledge; just as getting a so called 4 year degree means you are able to properly perform a job.

It is just more proof of a false reality, just because someone passed a quiz or checklist does not mean they actually will do quality work or even really know what they are doing or suppose to do.

Great post ICE!

We just had this discussion at our meeting yesterday...Licensing and continuing ed might help, but it is not a magic bullet that will kill all incompetence. Stiffer penalties (re-inspection fees or something that may affect that license) might be more effective, but not generally acceptable....Like driver reeducation after certain violations....

@ ~ @ ~ @
" Inspecting should be like playing hockey....there's a penalty box and we get to
beat them with a stick "
While I understand your frustration and your "tongue-in-cheek" comment, who is going to
pay for the Penalty Box, and its maintenance & repairs, `cause there is going to be one
heck of a lot of beatings !

FWIW, ...sloppy work and greedy individuals are every state in the U.S., and every country
in the world.......We cannot fix or stop every piece of sloppy work, nor can we stop every
greedy individual out there.......We are not expected to !.........We CAN make a positive

difference in the locations in which each of us is located though !

Real men, women and Yes, ...children, stand up and take a stand for doing what is right !

@ ~ @ ~ @

Last edited:
I would be in total favor of licensing if it applied to DIYers and/or homeowners who act as their own GCs as well as contractors . Those are two scenarios that are going to produce nightmares more often than not. While we don't have licensing requirements at all in my village, county or state I've been lucky for the most part that shoddy contractors don't come around too much but homeowners are my one issue more often than not.