• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

wire bending radius

The insulation is puckers on one side and torn on the other. I suspect that pliers was used to complete the bend and that tore the insulation.

Suggest that the puckering is a non-issue. There is just more air between the surface of the insulation and the wire which if anything provides more, although inconsequential, protection against a shock.

Do you happen to have the brand
No. I found this at an inspection of PV. The panel is new and bootlegged. There’s plenty wrong with it and I will be seeing it again. It is never easy to find labels on wire but I’ll try.

The wires in the boxes with outlets are often bent with very tight radiuses and yet we apparently have no problem?

Reactions: cda
I have found little on the subject. There are manufactures showing up in a Google search. If I understand the literature, some ask for 4 to 5 times the width. I have seen 8 mentioned. Southwire asks for no damage. However I have no way to know which to take seriously. There is a valid question of what is too tight for a 2/0 conductor. Exactly what is the damage? Is it damage to the insulation or the metal? When does damage ensue? Is the damage obscured by the insulation?

Other forums declare this to be nonsense and not worthy of consideration. There simply can't be a too small bend in a conductor. As long as the wire is not separated it is code compliant.

The code is silent until 1000 volts is exceeded. I wonder what the UL Standard for the wire has to say. Does the Listing for the wire include installation instructions? And if so, what do the instructions contain?

12AWG wire can be bent around a screw and still maintain a proper radius. Consider the physical difference between a #12 and a 2/0. Using them in a comparison is not valid.

$ >

" Exactly what is the damage? Is it damage to the insulation or the metal?
When does damage ensue ? "
The damage occurs when the radius of the metal inside the sheathing
is reduced to no longer be able to carry the intended amperage [ i.e. - the
metal strands are overstretched beyond what they were designed ]......
The multiple stands are rated "together" as one assembly, to carry the
intended load.

< $

Stretching of the strands is not a problem unless they break. Only then is the wire damaged. I would suggest that the insulation is not a problem unless it is broken in which case some electricians tape should solve the problem.

On the other hand if you don't agree then write up every house.

It seems like a lot of manufacturers are leaving themselves a lot of wiggle room these days...In order to sell more product or make their customers happy and someone else left holding the bag....I have had a similar dialogue with Paul for installing MC or NM cable before a building is dried in where the manufacturer says "as long as it is not saturated it will be fine", but who is going to be on the hook for determining that...He is a good, smart guy, especially when he agrees with me....;)

The note at the bottom of Table 312.6A says that the clear space is measured in the direction that the cable leaves the terminal, to the wall barrier or obstruction, I think that gives you the ability to cite most of your pics....