• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Wrong for two reasons.

You're not "their" friend.. if it's wrong, it's wrong.. not your job to tell them how to fix it, either.

peach said:
You're not "their" friend.. if it's wrong, it's wrong.. not your job to tell them how to fix it, either.
Right on Peach! Except for one dimension, have you considered the demands the job put's on the inspector? He/She knows how to do it but can't open their yaps for fear of pronouncing their own code? Used to be and still is that old builders became inspectors. Have you ever wondered why that model doesn't work as well today?

Nothing will change till our "highly trained professionals" are treated as such!

Bill

peach said:
Who is "their" you refer to? Is it the contractor, homeowner or the inspector? In either case, I am not their enemy and I count many as a friend. You say it's not my job to tell them how to fix mistakes. If I don't do it, who will? Should I send every little thing to an engineer? Hell, all day long, I am explaining how to do it right. I could write the correction and leave them scratching their heads but the next time it will be wrong again.

I enjoy a great deal of leeway when it comes to fixes. I have seen just about every imaginable mistake a dozen times. I know what works and this is houses we are talking about. It's not that complicated. If it is complicated, I consult my engineer. I don't ask him for a fix, I ask him if a fix will work.

For sure, my way is not for everybody. Some jurisdictions would frown on me. Some inspectors aren't up to the task. I get the job done and the work meets or exceeds code. I couldn't imagine writing corrections and walking away. If an inspector does that, the recipient must be left thinking: He knows what is wrong but he doesn't know what is right or he's a jerk for not telling me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most employers take a dim view of an inspector crossing the 'line' over to the design side. In this day and age the added liability for them and you is unwanted. In some placees it would get a written repremand in your file.

For me it is just not worth hearing, "we fixed it just like you said." and it being worse than before because they misunderstood.

I'm with ICE. Many of the customers and contractors are are more than just work day encounters. If I know of a method to correct their problem I will offer them that option or the option of seeking other input to a solution. To tag something and not share an acceptable fix is irresponsible and ethically corrupt. And some wonder why the public and contractors see us as arrogant, bureaucratic jerks.

To many are worried about "liability" and use it as an excuse not to do their job. Way easier to just walk away after failing an inspection than to help contractor or owner resolve the issue.

Interesting post. Maybe we are not "their friend". We are, (at least i am) a public servant, employed in a publicly funded governmental agency, paid for by tax payer monies, who come to us daily for permits, inspections and information about all sorts of questions, problems and "what ifs" related to construction. They rely on us to be a part of the "flow on their" project. That being said, i feel it is necessary on my part (and it is the departments position) that we provide service. If that means helping folks to find a solution to a needed correction, that's what we do. We can't design, however we can provid options to remedy non-complying work. Will i show someone a span table to help them meet code requirements, you bet. Will i open the nec and read a code section with a contractor, yes. Education of our contractors ( and ourselves) will lead us all to better relationships with those we inspect. I disagree with a "write em up and leave em to figure it on their own" attitude. Some one taught me, now it's mine to give freely and in a free exchange of knowledge come better working relationsips. Would it hepl if they all read code books, yes, but we live in an imperfect world, no one of us has "all ther answers"

Last edited by a moderator:
Codeworks, I agree with most except, I am NOT a public servant. I am an employee of the community in which I live and work. I am a source of info so you can complete a quality project.

Now that I have the mic, I am NOT a code enforcement inspector. I am a quality control inspector. Just as most would expect their new toaster to go through a quality control inspection why would we not sell ourselves in this same view, as quality control. Merely an extra set of eyes making sure that nothing was forgotten or installed incorrectly.