• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

You can't be serious. A very bad NEC interpretation

Jeff...it's appearances...regardless of where it comes from actually....Why do we need WR outlets and outlet covers in "some" basements now? Mudrooms have also been suggested...If the basement is damp than anything within a couple feet of the sink should be too...

Location, Damp.

Locations protected from weather and not subject to saturation with water or other liquids but subject to moderate degrees of moisture. (CMP-1)
Informational Note:
Examples of such locations include partially protected locations under canopies, marquees, roofed open porches, and like locations, and interior locations subject to moderate degrees of moisture, such as some basements, some barns, and some cold-storage warehouses.

There are others, but I am going to tap out of this one...I will take some of the blame as someone who tries to participate, but I had 1200 building code changes to attempt to vet so I am not available for NEC stuff...And lets not even get into the IECC craziness...

Jeff...it's appearances...regardless of where it comes from actually....Why do we need WR outlets and outlet covers in "some" basements now? Mudrooms have also been suggested...If the basement is damp than anything within a couple feet of the sink should be too...

Location, Damp.

Locations protected from weather and not subject to saturation with water or other liquids but subject to moderate degrees of moisture. (CMP-1)
Informational Note:
Examples of such locations include partially protected locations under canopies, marquees, roofed open porches, and like locations, and interior locations subject to moderate degrees of moisture, such as some basements, some barns, and some cold-storage warehouses.

There are others, but I am going to tap out of this one...I will take some of the blame as someone who tries to participate, but I had 1200 building code changes to attempt to vet so I am not available for NEC stuff...And lets not even get into the IECC craziness...
Damp in south Florida, specifically near the coast causes a lot more problems than damp in central Pennsylvania. One size does not fit all but one standard will. They make a seatbelt for a just to fit most Americans but there is always someone that needs a belt extender. Either way, they are wearing a belt.

This was submitted as a code change in order to clarify that NEC 110.26 applied to what we started this discussion on, which are AC disconnects. The petitioner wants to clarify that all of the items he mentions apply but the CMP rejected his recommendation because the items in question meet the definition of "equipment." This further clarifies that disconnects for AC equipment are required to comply with NEC 110.26.

1-135 Log #593 NEC-P01 Final Action: Reject (110.26(A))
Submitter: Robert G. Fahey, City of Janesville
Recommendation: Revise text to read as follows: 110.26(A) Working Space. Working space for equipment operating at 600 volts, nominal, or less to ground and likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance while energized, shall include but not limited to, panelboards, switchboards, motor controllers, motor control centers, adjustable speed drives, fusible disconnects and similar such equipment, shall comply with the dimensions of 110.26(A)(1), (A)(2), and (A)(3) or as required or permitted elsewhere in this Code. Substantiation: The added language is intended to add clarity to this Code Section as to what types of equipment are required to have the safe working space. Similar language is in the NEC handbook as commentary and by adding the above information to the actual Code Section, this will help the installer and the Inspector in determining when the working space requirements are to be applied. As an Electrical Inspector, I receive many questions as to what types of equipment this Code Section is referring to, by adding items into the actual Code, this will assist the designer, the installer and the Inspector in determining what type of equipment requires the safe working space. I have always required the proper work space be provided if equipment is typically serviced while energized or required to be energized for troubleshooting purposes.
Panel Meeting Action: Reject
Panel Statement: The proposed text does not clarify the requirement. The listed items in the proposed text meet the definition of “equipment” in Article 100. Number Eligible to Vote: 12 Ballot
Results: Affirmative: 12

Did you know that not all AC disconnects are little 240v 30A ones? Did you know that some of us worked on 200A 480 disconnects on RTUs, and ground mounted chillers? Sometimes it is necessary to remember that the world you live in is not the same that others live in and you can't simplify everything to be so basic, simple and not so important. So when you think of this code requirement, ask yourself if you want to inspect and open a 200A 480V live disconnect while in a precarious position.

Around here on residential homes the electrician installs the disconnect months before the AC condenser is installed. It is easy to call the electrician out for the code violation but in reality, the HVAC contractor was the one who is responsible for the code violation since he placed the unit in front of the disconnect.

In every one's world our jobs are about educating contractors and construction workers. This should include the why and intent behind the code.

Jar
Since Fl allows Class A & B HVAC contractors to run the electrical from the disconnect to their equipment, I think you should be focusing on the HVAC contractors being wrong and not the electricians.

Around here on residential homes the electrician installs the disconnect months before the AC condenser is installed. It is easy to call the electrician out for the code violation but in reality, the HVAC contractor was the one who is responsible for the code violation since he placed the unit in front of the disconnect.

In every one's world our jobs are about educating contractors and construction workers. This should include the why and intent behind the code.

Jar
Since Fl allows Class A & B HVAC contractors to run the electrical from the disconnect to their equipment, I think you should be focusing on the HVAC contractors being wrong and not the electricians.
That I understand. It needs to be corrected, and we have our mechanical inspectors and electrical inspectors on board with this. Regardless of who creates the issue, it is a failed inspection and needs correction.

Did you know that everyone blames manufacturers for the tamper proof receptacle requirement in dwellings. It was already a requirement in the pediatric healthcare setting. The reality is that the CPSC presented a case to the NEC code panel that had documented 10,000 electrocutions for children under the age of 9 and these were just the ones that escalated to the emergency room. The tamper proof receptacle change had nothing to do with manufacturers but most don't know that. It is easier to say the system is corrupt than to dig deep, do research and understand it.

Now that I brought that up. What is so difficult about installing tamper-proof receptacles? The cost factor was negligible. If it saves children from being injured after it was proven that there were 10,000 injured, why should it be questioned?
This brings up an injection point, almost all the injuries involving outlets involved young children yet the code applies to all households. It's very difficult for many elderly people to plug something with the "childproof" receptacles. Maybe the code should just be enforced for homes with children younger than 10? Obviously, this is not practical but..

This brings up an injection point, almost all the injuries involving outlets involved young children yet the code applies to all households. It's very difficult for many elderly people to plug something with the "childproof" receptacles. Maybe the code should just be enforced for homes with children younger than 10? Obviously, this is not practical but..
You are right. It is not practical. Grandparents have grandchildren over all the time. It may be more difficult sometimes to plug something in but it is not impossible. Think of it like physical therapy.

It is my opinion that this response to what was quoted is a bit dramatic.
Jeff, you dismissed the opinions and comments from myself and others by claiming "It is easier to say the system is corrupt than to dig deep, do research and understand it."

If we disagree with a code, an interpretation, or with you, then it must be because we haven't tried hard enough to learn? When conversations turns to those tactics, I tend to walk away. Nothing to learn from that kind of response. And yeah, after all these years, I guess I thought you knew me better than that. So it was a little personally insulting as well. All good. I do not disregard or dismiss your opinions. I just don't like the negative vibe from this thread, which I am part responsible for. See you on the next one!

Jeff, you dismissed the opinions and comments from myself and others by claiming "It is easier to say the system is corrupt than to dig deep, do research and understand it."

If we disagree with a code, an interpretation, or with you, then it must be because we haven't tried hard enough to learn? When conversations turns to those tactics, I tend to walk away. Nothing to learn from that kind of response. And yeah, after all these years, I guess I thought you knew me better than that. So it was a little personally insulting as well. All good. I do not disregard or dismiss your opinions. I just don't like the negative vibe from this thread, which I am part responsible for. See you on the next one!
There is a clear and concise black and white code requirement that has been confirmed through a non-binding interpretation by the NFPA and by the CMP who rejected a change where someone wanted to add AC disconnects to it because the CMP said that AC disconnects are electrical equipment under Article 100. There is no gray area here, justs facts. You stated that you: "When I teach inspectors deck codes, I encourage them to be reasonable about this 6-6 thing" which is not encouraging them to enforce the code but lessen the standard because it is a deck. Why are we encouraging non-compliance when there is always an alternative?

In addition, you mentioned the ICC process when this, is, in fact, an NFPA process that is superior to the ICC process. Once again you eluded and danced around to allowing non-compliant installations by waving the flag with this statement: "I'm really surprised by how dismissive you are in regard to the desires, dreams, and limitations of your fellow Americans."

How about I am protecting Americans by enforcing safety codes? I like that one better. When there are options for a fix to comply with a code one of those options should not be to ignore the code which is arguably un-American to you. We can agree to disagree but you really need to read your responses too.

Now that I am on this let's look at an example.

Apple pie, all American family wants to build a deck off their house. In doing so, they will end up 6' off of grade, directly above an AC unit that has an NEC 110.26 compliant disconnect. Installing the deck in this location creates a code violation. But, alas, there are options. Let's look at options.
1) Don't put the deck over an existing AC unit that is legally installed.
2) Change the height of the deck so as to not create a code violation.
3) Move the AC unit and disconnect to a code compliant location.
4) Move the AC disconnect to a location within site that is compliant with NEC 110.26.

If you create a code violation by installing a deck, it is your responsibility to decide how you are going to handle this. When you teach, you are coming from a position of influence and responsibility. Encouraging non-compliant approvals when there are options to make code compliant fixes is really not good for the industry, especially with rules designed for the safety of the public and workers.

Now to answer your 6'4" question that you think I am ignoring. Show me in the exceptions to 110.26 where it states 6'4" is acceptable. You can't drag an unrelated code into this situation because it is convenient.

I think I need to bow out of this because as owner of the site, I can't be passionate about a subject and have people think I am not being fair. So everyone out there can ignore whatever codes you want when it is convenient for you and feel sorry for those that work in my jurisdiction because I am such a dick for enforcing the codes as written, and intended, even with NFPA backup. My name is JAR546 and this is my first meeting with Assholes Anonymous. (now that is a childish comment)

The thread started out as an argument against an interpretation of section 110.26 (Space About Electrical Equipment) rendered by BOAF.
The following is the interpretation:

Question: Section 440.14 requires the A/C disconnect to be "readily accessible", it also references 110.26 in the informational notes. Does section 110.26 for working space requirements apply to this A/C disconnect or are they permitted to be readily accessible in the opinion of the inspector?

Answer: 2017 NEC 110.26 does not specifically mention disconnects. 440.14 requires disconnects for A/C equipment to be within sight and readily accessible. Readily Accessible is defined as capable of being reached quickly for operation without having to use tools or removing or climbing over or under obstacles. If the disconnect mentioned can be accessed without climbing over or under the unit or any other obstacle, then it would comply.
On 10/25/2022 at 4:48 PM

Commentary: If the disconnect is just a pull out then 110.26 would not apply as a pullout type disconnect does not typically require service "while energized" as stated in the code section, if utilizing a breaker for the disconnect that might require service then 110.26 applies.:

Who came up with the interpretation and what is their reason for doing so?

The Building Officials Association of Florida, in cooperation with the Florida Building Commission, the Florida Department of Community Affairs, ICC, and industry and professional experts offer this interpretation of the Florida Building Code in the interest of consistency in their application statewide. This interpretation is informal, non-binding and subject to acceptance and approval by the local building official.

The group deals with the construction industry in a mostly regulatory capacity. What is the motive? BOAF didn't take the time to formulate an opinion without a reason. It has to do with ongoing, repetitive conflict with the code.

As an inspector I can relate that AC condenser disconnects are a frequent violation. The pictures that I posted are a common occurrence. LA County Building Safety has determined that if the disconnect is not equipped with an overcurrent protective device, 110.26 does not apply. The obvious fix if a disconnect has been installed with a fuse or breaker in violation of section 110.26 is to replace it with a bare disconnect.

The BOAF interpretation goes one step further and allows any “pull out” disconnect. A pull out disconnect can contain fuses. However, the group determined that a disconnect that incorporates a circuit breaker (panelboard) must adhere to the strictures of section 110.26. Inconveniently ignored is any other type of disconnect such as a knife switch. It seems that the group took two steps forward and one step back.

The thread slowly became more about the application of section 110.26 than the merit of the interpretation rendered by BOAF. Jeff’s position is there is no discretion available. Any deviation from the bare bones of 110.26 is ….well it’s bad….no I mean really bad….awfull even.

Let’s take a look at 110.26. There is an exception for an existing residential panelboard that allows it to have less than 6’6” headroom. And not just less but apparently, all the way down to none. The disconnect with a breaker is a panelboard that can be in a crawl space. A crawl space might be 18” headroom. That’s a solution to Glenn’s question.

(3) Height of Working Space. The work space shall be clear and extend from the grade, floor, or platform to a height of 61⁄2 ft or the height of the equipment, whichever is greater…….
Exception No. 1: In existing dwelling units, service equipment or panelboards that do not exceed 200 amperes shall be permitted in spaces where the height of the working space is less than 61⁄2 ft.

(a) Where equipment is installed above a lay-in ceiling, there shall be an opening not smaller than 22 in. × 22 in., or in a crawl space, there shall be an accessible opening not smaller than 22 in. × 30 in.

Allrighty then, I hear you…we’re dealing with disconnects and seldom is a disconnect with a circuit breaker (panelboard) installed. The point is that there is a huge amount of deference given to a panelboard and a disconnect deserves some assessment also.

The BOAF didn’t take up the task because they were out of things to do. They did it to address a common concern. The group came to the conclusion, which by the way, nearly matches how a great many AHJs handle the AC disconnect, that a pull out AC disconnect need not adhere to 110.26.

Jeff, You are are able to decide how the code will be applied within your jurisdiction. You do not have to compromise your ethics. What you should do is recognize the reality for the rest of us. In the grand scheme of things, an AC disconnect hardly rises to the top. For every hundred out there, more than half are less than what you expect. How many result in an electrocution? Would that be none?

Well I have gone on too long. This forum is nothing like the real world of construction as it relates to inspectors and inspection…it just doesn’t come close. And honestly, there’s no way that a forum could.

Last edited:
Exception No. 1: In existing dwelling units, service equipment or panelboards that do not exceed 200 amperes shall be permitted in spaces where the height of the working space is less than 61⁄2 ft.
And then adding the deck over the existing disco at the "existing dwelling unit" would comply with this exception...Unless that is not verbatim?

It is verbatim... but I think you could argue that an AC disconnect is neither service equipment or a panelboard by definition.

I think it is obvious that this section was intended for existing installations, not adding something new to encroach on the working space.

Whether the code should be more lenient on in single family housing is not something I have a strong opinion on in this case, but I think the headroom between the disconnect and wooden structure is less of a hazard than placing the disconnect behind the AC unit.

I think the crux of this issue is if local AHJs feel the workings space requirements are too restrictive or not. If they feel it is too restrictive, they get "creative" with their code interpretation. As Mark K mentioned, this is an issue.

Code should first be amended by whatever legal means exist by the adopting agency. If this is not possible, the local jurisdiction needs a fairly rigorous policy in place to explore the issues related to a modified enforcement regime. Choosing not to enforce something without a detailed review of the issue is a disservice to those we serve as inspectors.

I will agree with those who say you can't mindlessly enforce the code.

I will also agree that you can't turn a blind eye to obvious code violations.

There is however a third path. A path where we look at an issue on a local level, involve stake holders and make an informed opinion on the issue that serves our community. Make no mistake. This path is the most work, but it is also the only alternative in my mind.

There. I think I've pissed off both sides of this debate.

It is verbatim... but I think you could argue that an AC disconnect is neither service equipment or a panelboard by definition.
A panelboard can be an AC disconnect.
I think it is obvious that this section was intended for existing installations, not adding something new to encroach on the working space.
Chicken or the egg?
It is the dwelling that is existing....not a particular configuration. At an existing dwelling one can install a service or panelboard under a deck .... you can install a deck over an existing service or panelboard.

I think the crux of this issue is if local AHJs feel the workings space requirements are too restrictive or not.
There is not a debate about the dimensions provided in 110.26 and 110.26 is all about dimensions. The debate for some is whether an AC disconnect is always bound by 110.26 and a further debate involves the degree of application of 110.26.

The largest jurisdiction in California is LA County B/S. I worked there for twenty-five years. The policy on AC disconnects was that if there was no overcurrent device within the disconnect 110,26 did not apply. A great many disconnects were pull-out style with fuses. 110.26 applied to them. A great many of them were less than perfectly placed.

Is there a line that can be drawn and you get a pass if you didn't cross the line? You show up for a final inspection and find a bedroom with receptacles that are fourteen feet apart. The code says that no wall space shall be more than six feet from a receptacle but this is seven feet. The kitchen counter has receptacles sixty inches apart. Unless you are the inspector that approved the rough wiring, you have a decision to make.

There is a line.

IMG_6531.JPG

IMG_0035.JPG

Sometimes the only thing right about it is the disconnect.

IMG_5298.JPG

A panelboard can be an AC disconnect.
Yeah, but you still can't create a code violation.
you can install a deck over an existing service or panelboard.
Yes, and create a code violation which would not be allowed.

Here is my opinion and my quote that I've said forever:

If you can't afford to do it right, you can't afford to do it.

In every picture shown by ICE on post #69 a code compliant installation is possible.
That's true of every picture I have posted at this forum. Thousands of correctable mistakes. Some easier than others for sure but a fix exists for each of them. In the rare jurisdiction where perfection is not only achievable but expected each of the installations in post #69 would result in corrections.

You should focus on the word rare. What happens in your jurisdiction would pass for Nirvana here in southern California.

IMG_0031.JPG

There's just no end to the wrong that's available here. Getting wound up over a few inches here and a few inches there would get you crucified in this part of the world. While I commend your fortitude you need to see the windmills for what they are.

IMG_0034.JPG

Last edited: