• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

You make the call: NEC 110.26

Glennman CBO said:
I'm not an electrical guy, but can the dedicated space be measured from the face of the panel? If the panel was, say, 12" from the wall, would this reduce the dedicated space's depth by 12", thus giving you only 24" in front of the panel (I'm guessing that the dedicated space is 36" deep)?In other words, is the depth of the panel included in the depth measurement? This surface mount panel would give you less depth than a "flush" panel at its front.
To restate if the panel is move forward and mounted so as the rear of the panel is beyond the gas pipe then the pipe is behind the dedicated space. That would be compliant IMO.

However in the OP the panel was set first and then the gas line, either way hopefully someone will have a learning experience.

It would appear the electrical contractor failed to determine if the location of the new panel was going to be clear of other installations. If a correction was deemed to be absolutely necessary I would go with Francis Vineyards method.

Doesn't matter who was there first. It is an electrical violation and the electrical contractor is responsible for making his installation code compliant.

From my perspective it is not worth the bother of "correcting".

Would the method of measurement (in my 2005 NEC) for working space be the same as for dedicated space, since there is no method of measuring prescribed for the dedicated space?