• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Your Career

For various reasons I keep leaving pretty good places for what appears to be better places. Sometimes it is better, sometimes not. But no matter what, I try to benefit from every place I go. I think most places are somewhat sad to see me go so maybe they benefitted from me as well. Here is the problem....big problem. As I look back at my resume and prepare it for my next move I see a lot of jobs with no real time spent at most of them. If I were looking at me from the other side of the desk I would have to question that. I believe I have legitimate reasons for moving on from each place but on paper it can't be explained, and the paper is the first point of contact. Looking back, not sure anything could have been done much differently but it is something for folks to keep in mind.

# : # : #

Thanks **Sifu** and others......That's some good stuff right there,

...for everyone to consider.

In relation to that, ...that has been a tough issue to solve........What

looks good on this side of the fence, make turn out to be a worse place

than where a person may currently be employed at.........How does

someone make a move that will actually be an improvement, ...and

NOT just considering the salary.

Keep the comments and experiences coming !

# : # : #

I see a lot of jobs with no real time spent at most of them
You are correct if you are not spending 3 to 5 years at each location then you may not get past the paper review. You would have to have some specific reasons for jumping from job to job within a narrow time frame.

.How doessomeone make a move that will actually be an improvement,
Define improvement.

Health, income, less stress, personal challenges/growth opportunities in a new job, new area to re-locate to or maybe closer to extended family, better schools for the kids, different climate.

We are all different, some liked to be challenged in the job, others may want to just put in time until retirement, if you enjoy going to work it is not just a job, if you don't, then a change of scenery may not be the answer to your job situation because the problem may just follow you

This is a serious thread about our jobs so I decided to show you what my job is like.

And this is not it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Many years ago I had a great job at a decent sized engineering firm, was a stockholder etc. it was really going well for me.

So one of my co-workers from the architectural department comes to me smiling and with an obviously upbeat attitude and says “Ralph I finally did it”. To which I said “Lance what did you finally do?” He then told me he had just quit. I quickly replied “what? this is one of the best jobs I have ever had”. His response was that “the pain in the a## factor was just too high!”

So later I am in a meeting with the president of the company and I told him the story. He sat back looked at the ceiling and said he knew he had a problem and had not done anything about it (the problem was both internal and with our clients). Shortly thereafter the architect that Lance was working under was let go. That whole department got a lot better. The firm though had lost a young energetic architect in Lance.

Like Sifu I had a string of jobs on the private sector. The economy has been going boom and bust it seems. At a point in my life I began making changes to ME. One of the first was intentionally moving away from cities. The second was when I finally had a job that had “too much paint in the a##” I woke one day just knowing that I was not going to work where I was at the time. I made it to Alaska and now work in a great community, have a decent reputation and enjoy my home and job. I tell people I like what I am doing because I get to help people with their dreams.

I feel for all who are in areas where the economy is on the skids. Or for anyone who is working where the pain in the a## is too high.

Last edited by a moderator:
~ ? ~ ? ~

Good discussion and experiences so far !........Keep it

coming.............Does anyone else want to chime in on any

of the questions that have been raised so far ?

Also, ...as I mentioned earlier, if you would like a "new"

Topic Thread started on Career Philosophy, ...other

Career related info, or if you have some positive

comments in general that you want to share, then send

Jeff a PM and let him know.........I'm certain that he would

like to hear something positive.

Next Question:

An organization or school or other, contacts you to give

a brief speech on being a Code Official \ Inspector \

Plans Examiner \ other...............Do you:

1. politely decline

2. try to find someone who you perceive to be a better

speaker for the task

3. gladly jump in and give it your best shot

4. other

It's o.k. for you to ask you questions too !

~ ? ~ ? ~

We "celebrated" our 100th anniversary as a Building Inspection Department in 2012, my boss thought it would be great if I were to be the keynote speaker at the annual Historic Preservation Awards Ceremony. I was none to thrilled about it, but I threw myself into it, did a lot of research, gave a talk on the 100 year history of the department, the evolution of construction types, and how the codes evolved with them. I was nervous as he!! about it, but it must have come off well, I receive many compliments.

So in answer to the question, suck it up and go for it, you are the professional.

= > = > = >

Bump, ...bump, ...bumpity - bump !

O.K. kids, ...let's step up and keep this thread going.

I know that others have questions, and experiences

that they can share. :cool:

< + < + < + <

& - & - &

O.K., ...I'll lob some more out there.

The Fire Community has a long history of speaking about

fire protection, ...fire safety, ...fire prevention, etc., etc.

QUESTION # 1: If the the building side of the the codes

is ever going to gain some type of recognition or awareness,

[ respect if you will ], ...then what are some things that

we need to do to further our cause ?

QUESTION # 2: If we as Building Code Officials, Inspectors,

Plans Examiners, Code Enforcement Officers, and others do

not market our services [ as First Preventers ], ...who will ?

QUESTION # 3: Where are you in this process ?

& - & - &