• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Openable windows screwed closed

In upstate NY we generally see operable, glazed storm windows. On Long Island they probably see more of what you folks in SoCal see... storm shutters.

As noted above by someone else, regional differences. :cheers

mark handler said:
The ones I am familiar with do not open or operate from the inside. I have never seen ones that operate or release from the inside.That is why I said Okay... implying that I will take Greg's word for it.
Mine all open from the inside. Triple track with screen. There are some that install with thumbturns from the outside, more generally used to seasonally enclose porches here

If they have not increased the hazard then I do see where the big deal is. The windows were and are still inoperable. As stated earlier, the fire department will axe right through them if need be. I don't really know where the FD complaint has legs. Most importantly, what does your boss say?

Daddy-0- said:
Most importantly, what does your boss say?
I am my boss.

The fire department complaint is based on the majority of small fires in the building where two windows need to be opened for positive pressure ventilation of smoke. No need to break a window in these cases. When I get a complaint, I visit the site and verify the violation of the IPMC and then address that violation. In this case, there is a violation of the IPMC and the intent of the IPMC section.

I revisited the building and found that, while the apartments are acceptable, all of the sill heights in the common areas create a fall hazard. After consulting with the 3rd party who handles all aspects of commercial permits, we came up with an idea which seems to keep everybody happy and will be a fairly reasonable fix for the building owner and the 34 windows in question. Window stops mounted to the frame, allowing the windows to open no more than 4 inches. The fire department will still be able to open the windows for ventilation purposes and occupants can open the windows and summon help if needed during an emergency. There are cameras throughout the building allowing the owner to deal with tenants who open with windows in non-emergent situations. I will be meeting with the building owner next week and discussing this option.

Was the fire dept. complaining about the fixed windows that were replaced?

Window stops mounted to the frame, allowing the windows to open no more than 4 inches. The fire department will still be able to open the windows for ventilation purposes and occupants can open the windows and summon help if needed during an emergency.
Four inches of open window seems like little to nothing when it comes to smoke vents. If I need to summon help from a window during a fire; the opening needs to be big enough to toss out an end table.

Would you please explain the fall hazard? What year was this building constructed?

I am in a similar situation. I run a pool that has an openable window in the office which has access to the pool. It is a requirement to lock the window at the end of a shift. It has been left open multiple times and has become a safety issue with as anyone can open the window and have access to an unguarded pool. Am I allowed to screw the window closed to keep people out?

I am in a similar situation. I run a pool that has an openable window in the office which has access to the pool. It is a requirement to lock the window at the end of a shift. It has been left open multiple times and has become a safety issue with as anyone can open the window and have access to an unguarded pool. Am I allowed to screw the window closed to keep people out?
I would like to add that the window in questions is not a means of egress.

If the window is not required for safety (EERO) or ventilation, then fastening it should not be an issue

Yeah.

I missed this thread the first go-round, but it seems like it took a long time to answer a question that shouldn't have been a question to start with... If it is not required to be an operable window, then you are quite stretching the IPMC to tell someone they can't screw it shut.

I would suggest that a greater problem are the sliding wood windows that are not operable because they have been painted and the dried paint at the edges mean they are painted shut.

Reactions: emy
Anyone can DIY an inoperable sliding windows. It would approx. take around 1 to 2 hours for repairs and you might require screwdriver, pliers, hammer, wire brush, vacuum and putty knife. Remember to spread a drop cloth on the floor near the window. Also make arrangements for replacement rollers, latch as needed, spray graphite lubricant.

The tracks can be wooden or vinyl and most of them have one or more sashes that slide along metal tracks at bottom and top of the frame.

Many windows and doors manufacturers at madison say that the main or prevalent problem is dirt in the bottom track. Get it cleaned and lubricate the track. Clean the sash on the bottom too.

Regarding the catch which secures the window when closed, bend a small part to make them work or get it replaced.