• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

The Official Electrical Violation Photo Thread

jar546

Forum Coordinator
I would like this to be an ongoing thread where we not only post photos of NEC violations but also cite the applicable codes so that everyone has an opportunity to learn or dispute the violation.

I will start it off with this photo that is a violation of NEC 334.12(B)(4) as confirmed by 300.5(B) and 300.9

IMAG0100.jpg

32174239858_19a81ec334_b.jpg

210.52(C)(1) Wall Countertop Spaces. A receptacle outlet shall be installed at each wall countertop space that is 300 mm (12 in.) or wider. Receptacle outlets shall be installed so that no point along the wall line is more than 600 mm (24 in.) measured horizontally from a receptacle outlet in that space.

And if there is no wall? What then?

32174239668_95f4e854b5_b.jpg

210.52(E)(5) Receptacle Outlet Location. Receptacle outlets shall be located on or above, but not more than 500 mm (20 in.) above, the countertop. Receptacle outlet assemblies listed for the application shall be permitted to be installed in countertops. Receptacle outlets rendered not readily accessible by appliances fastened in place, appliance garages, sinks, or rangetops as covered in 210.52(C)(1), Exception, or appliances occupying dedicated space shall not be considered as these required outlets.

Informational Note: See 406.5(E) for requirements for installation of receptacles in countertops.

Exception to (5): To comply with the conditions specified in (1) or (2), receptacle outlets shall be permitted to be mounted not more than 300 mm (12 in.) below the countertop. Receptacles mounted below a countertop in accordance with this exception shall not be located where the countertop extends more than 150 mm (6 in.) beyond its support base

1. (1) Construction for the physically impaired
  2. (2) On island and peninsular countertops where the countertop is flat across its entire surface (no backsplashes, dividers, etc.) and there are no means to mount a receptacle within 500 mm (20 in.) above the countertop, such as an overhead cabinet
This one is open to debate. The first picture is the kitchen side of the counter. The second picture is the dining room/entertainment room. So does it qualify as a violation or does it not?

Last edited:
One receptacle can result in a butt load of corrections.

32174532638_97b7e64b7f_b.jpg

Ground-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection for Personnel. Ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for personnel shall be provided as required in 210.8(A) through (D). The ground-fault circuit-interrupter shall be installed in a readily accessible location.
210.8(A)(3)
Outdoors.

210.12 Arc-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection.
(A)
Dwelling Units. All 120-volt, single-phase, 15- and 20-ampere branch circuits supplying outlets or devices installed in dwelling unit kitchens, family rooms, dining rooms, living rooms, parlors, libraries, dens, bedrooms, sunrooms, recreation rooms, closets, hallways, or similar rooms or areas shall be protected
210.12(B)
Branch Circuit Extensions or Modifications ó Dwelling Units. In any of the areas specified in 210.12(A), where branch-circuit wiring is modified, replaced, or extended, the branch circuit shall be protected by one of the following:

(B) Wet Locations.
(1) Receptacles of 15 and 20 Amperes in a Wet Location. Receptacles of 15 and 20 amperes, 125 and 250 volts installed in a wet location shall have an enclosure that is weatherproof whether or not the attachment plug cap is inserted. An outlet box hood installed for this purpose shall be listed and shall be identified as "extra duty." All 15- and 20-ampere, 125- and 250-volt non-locking-type receptacles shall be listed weather-resistant type.

406.12 Tamper-Resistant Receptacles

(A) Dwelling Units. In all areas specified in 210.52, all non-locking-type 125-volt, 15- and 20-ampere receptacles shall be listed tamper-resistant receptacles.

Last edited:
It looked like a beautiful installation, until embossed in the metal of the transformer were the words "Do Not Install in Attics"

Therefore, NEC 110.3(B) which governs the use of equipment in accordance with its labeling and instructions

IMG_1709.jpg

110.3 Examination, Identification, Installation, and Use of Equipment.
(B) Installation and Use. Listed or labeled equipment shall be installed and used in accordance with any instructions included in the listing or labeling.

Note that the bottom half of the clamp has been turned in the right direction for re-bar application. It might be that the clamp is too large for a 3# re-bar.

45134285675_54306bd619_b.jpg

Last edited:
110.3 Examination, Identification, Installation, and Use of Equipment.
(B) Installation and Use. Listed or labeled equipment shall be installed and used in accordance with any instructions included in the listing or labeling.

Note that the bottom half of the clamp has been turned in the right direction for re-bar application.

Should I assume that clamp was not listed for rebar, not listed for direct burial, not listed for concrete encasement or a combination of all 3? Some are only listed for pipe and not rebar.

Jeff, maybe plainly state that the interior of outdoor conduits is a wet locations well....? I think it helps to know what the actual problem is as well as the code section...

I would like this to be an ongoing thread where we not only post photos of NEC violations but also cite the applicable codes so that everyone has an opportunity to learn or dispute the violation.

I will start it off with this photo that is a violation of NEC 334.12(B)(4) as confirmed by 300.5(B) and 300.9

View attachment 3197

Just how many violations do you see here? I will list 1 violation, see if you can list more.
First, this is a 3 prong receptacle fed by a 2 wire extension cord cable.
The first violation I will list is:
NEC 400.8 under Uses Not Permitted, NEC 400.8(1) "As a substitute for the fixed wiring of a structure"

IMG_1949.JPG

This was found in a medical facility when the wall was opened up to extend a nurses station.
NEC Violations are:

110.12 because the work was not performed in a workmanlike manner
300.12 because some of the cables are not continuous between boxes and some are still live inside the closed wall.
300.13(B) because they removed devices, buried it in a wall and lost continuity of the grounded conductor (once the box was opened)
300.15 because the MC cable does not terminate in a box
300.15(A) because the cover was buried in a wall and not accessible

I am sure you can see even more.... What else is there?

IMG_2200.JPG

"110.12 because the work was not performed in a workmanlike manner" I was always under the impression that was unenforceable because it is subjective. But burying boxes in a wall is still wrong.