• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

The Official Electrical Violation Photo Thread

steveray, you might be correct, we don't know what's on the other side of the wall, could be a patient care room?

Does the receptacle box have a green bonding wire?

Not electrical but...Does anybody enforce steel studs being installed upside down? The first pre-cut hole should be 11-inches off the base track.

Reactions: ICE
why should the first hole be 11 inches off the track?

The stud manufactures install in structures would dictates. Was told by a steel stud manufactures rep in a seminar, My response was "you kidding!"
He said it makes the stud stronger.

Studs sold in the west coast market may have the punched holes at 24". Also if all the holes line up, diagonal x-bracing will line up inside the wall if used. In addition the sparky likes it when all the punched holes line up.

Here is a classic we normally have to look closely to see but in this case it is plain as day! This is a main service panel so no issues with neutrals and grounds.

NEC 210.4(B)
Disconnecting Means. Each multiwire branch circuit shall
be provided with a means that will simultaneously disconnect
all ungrounded conductors at the point where the branch
circuit originates.

Basically they need a handle tie on these two breakers or replace it with a double pole breaker.

IMG_3153.JPG

250.12 Clean Surfaces. Nonconductive coatings (such as
paint, lacquer, and enamel) on equipment to be grounded
shall be removed from threads and other contact surfaces to
ensure good electrical continuity or be connected by means of
fittings designed so as to make such removal unnecessary.

IMG_3311.JPG

250.12 Clean Surfaces. Nonconductive coatings (such as
paint, lacquer, and enamel) on equipment to be grounded
shall be removed from threads and other contact surfaces to
ensure good electrical continuity or be connected by means of
fittings designed so as to make such removal unnecessary.

View attachment 4018
The lug is attached with the wrong screw. The lug is barely in contact with the surface. Scratching paint is not the same as removal. The paint shall be removed for the entire area of contact.

The lug is attached with the wrong screw. The lug is barely in contact with the surface. Scratching paint is not the same as removal. The paint shall be removed for the entire area of contact.

Looks like a nut and bolt.........you would require complete removal of finishes....sparky has to have a grinder on hand?

Looks like a nut and bolt.........you would require complete removal of finishes....sparky has to have a grinder on hand?

It is attached to a painted assembly, and not a bare aluminum lug to a bare aluminum bar or buss. All electricians I know carry a grinder. As an electrician a grinder is of of the more used tools in my truck.

All electricians I know carry a grinder. As an electrician a grinder is of of the more used tools in my truck.

Yup

And 2 different wire wheels and touch up paint. As an installer if one of my guys did what is pictured, he would be taking that apart and he would get an education in how easy it is to do it right.

How many ways is this wrong? Let us count the ways.....
This is a sub-panel in a commercial office 120/208 3ph fed by a 277/480 to 120/208 transformer mounted above it.

With just one blink I see 3 violations that are obvious. There may be more.

IMG_3348.JPG

1. grounded conductor and equipment grounding conductor bonded

2. grounded conductor marked wrong

3. equipment grounding conductor marked wrong

1) Yes, all 3 phases are incorrectly marked for this 120/208 3 phase system.

2) There is nothing wrong with the grounded conductor as it is identified with white tape on the end which is allowed for the size wire in question.

3) The equipment grounding conductor is insulated green which is correct.

This is a sub-panel because it is fed by a transformer that has the frame and neutral bonded. They have the grounds and neutrals going to the same neutral bar and there is no bonding of the EGC's to the panelboard enclosure. Also, what about a disconnect on the secondary conductors from the transformer? They appear to go directly to the lugs of the panel buss.............

I wish i knew how to enlarge the photos but I can see:
1. hot branch wires are yellow
2. main breaker is not rated for service
3. main breaker handles not connected
4. main breaker not screwed in
4. Don't see any ground rod
5. bottom conduit needs a slip joint
6. meter maybe hooked up backwards
7. Main bonding lug missing