• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

NFPA 70 517.14 question

linnrg

Sawhorse
Would the Panelboard bonding described on 517.14 have to be in a conduit from panelboard to other panelboards?

would 300.3 (2) apply?

Last edited:
Would the Panelboard bonding described on 517.14 have to be in a conduit from panelboard to other panelboards?

would 300.3 (2) apply?
1) Nothing requires the #10 bond to be in conduit, however, if it was in a metallic conduit, 517.19(E) would apply.
2) I am not aware of any 1000V or more systems in any hospital that I have worked in or inspected in and 517.14 is for panelboards so I don't see how 300.3(2) would apply. In addition, section 300.3(2) is for circuit conductors, not for bonding.

JAR546 please reread 300.3(2) because it says "Grounding and bonding conductors" BTW I am referring to NFPA 70 2017 version. the panels are not all in the same room (or same floor)

the contractor ran conduit between location but once inside the electrical room stopped using conduit. It is not yet complete.

JAR546 please reread 300.3(2) because it says "Grounding and bonding conductors" BTW I am referring to NFPA 70 2017 version. the panels are not all in the same room (or same floor)

the contractor ran conduit between location but once inside the electrical room stopped using conduit. It is not yet complete.

I'm not seeing what you are seeing or reading what you are reading for this section which is clearly for voltages over 1000v. Are you looking at conduit in an electrical room with panels and voltage over 100v?

can you explain to me where the 1000V comes into play? I do not see where the voltage is stated under 517

It is your specific reference to 300.3(2).

Nothing in 517.14 or anywhere in 300.3 is there a requirement for the #10 bond between panels to be run in a raceway.

Are you referencing 300.3(B)(2) or 300.3(C)(2)?