• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Fire Sprinklers in Roof Eave

TWS2189

Hi All,

I have a project made of combustible material and we are providing sprinklers in the building. We are needing to comply with NFPA 13 2010 edition. It is a one story building however we have a high roof and a low roof. The high roof has an eave greater than 4' and it is over the lower roof. The lower roof is sprinklered below. The area below the high roof 4' eave is not habitable. Will our 4' overhang be required to have sprinklers?

Thank you

I am thinking the answer is no

“”
“””The lower roof is sprinklered below. “””

inside or out???

Need to meet the following items to be excluded. Note that this is for within soffits/eaves/overhangs.

NFPA13-2010

Sprinklers shall be permitted to be omitted from within combustible soffits, eaves, overhangs, and decorative frame elements that are constructed in accordance with 8.15.1.2.18.1 through 8.15.1.2.18.4.

Combustible soffits, eaves, overhangs, and decorative frame elements shall not exceed 4 ft 0 in. (1.2 m) in width.

Combustible soffits, eaves, overhangs, and decorative frame elements shall be draftstopped, with a material equivalent to that of the soffit, into volumes not exceeding 160 ft3 (4.5 m3).

Combustible soffits, eaves, overhangs, and decorative frame elements shall be separated from the interior of the building by walls or roofs of noncombustible or limited-combustible construction.

Combustible soffits, eaves, overhangs, and decorative frame elements shall have no openings or unprotected penetrations directly into the building.

Here is a link to an image with a roof condition similar to the one I have. The image is of a house but the project in question is commercial. Imagine if the eave of the taller roof projecting over the lower roof is more than 4'.

xJwXMhojPzPamRSA6

https://images.app.goo.gl/xJwXMhojPzPamRSA6

TY j has the answer correct, meet all the requirements and you can omit sprinklers, excede or do not compete the blocking and you have to sprinkle. sid wall sprinkler would work

TY j's post brought up a good point about us needing to sprinkle within the eave. However my original question is regarding the underside of an eave over a lower roof.

Yep either pay to be a sawhorse and you can upload with no problem

or make the floor plan a link and post the link

I still say no not required.

To me it is not a horizontal projection

The lower level is already protected also.

TY j's post brought up a good point about us needing to sprinkle within the eave. However my original question is regarding the underside of an eave over a lower roof.

yes the attic will require protection

And if eaves “inside” also, if they do not meet an area not requiring sprinklers. But not outside

Ok, after a bit more research, here is how to treat areas under eaves.

Be non-combustible (8.15.7.2), clad with non-combustible (8.15.7.3), an exterior corridor (8.15.7.4) or no storage of combustibles below (8.15.7.5).

My approach would be via the final option, 8.15.7.5. If it is truly a roof under another roof, their should be no fire load or storage below. Therefore, although you will have a roof projection greater than 2-ft, no combustible storage occurs below, thereby not meeting the full conditions of 8.15.7.5. Sprinklers may be exempted from underside of eaves (may still be required within the eave as per my prior post).

8.15.7 * Exterior Roofs, Canopies, Porte-Cocheres, Balconies, Decks, or Similar Projections.

Unless the requirements of 8.15.7.2, 8.15.7.3, or 8.15.7.4 are met, sprinklers shall be installed under exterior roofs, canopies, porte-cocheres, balconies, decks, or similar projections exceeding 4 ft (1.2 m) in width.

8.15.7.2 *
Sprinklers shall be permitted to be omitted where the canopies, roofs, porte-cocheres, balconies, decks, or similar projections are constructed with materials that are noncombustible, limited-combustible, or fire retardant–treated wood as defined in NFPA 703, Standard for Fire Retardant–Treated Wood and Fire-Retardant Coatings for Building Materials.

Sprinklers shall be permitted to be omitted from below the canopies, roofs, porte-cocheres, balconies, decks, or similar projections of combustible construction, provided the exposed finish material on the roofs, canopies, or porte-cocheres are noncombustible, limited-combustible, or fire retardant–treated wood as defined in NFPA 703, Standard for Fire Retardant–Treated Wood and Fire-Retardant Coatings for Building Materials, and the roofs, canopies, or porte-cocheres contain only sprinklered concealed spaces or any of the following unsprinklered combustible concealed spaces:

1. Combustible concealed spaces filled entirely with noncombustible insulation
  2. Light or ordinary hazard occupancies where noncombustible or limited-combustible ceilings are directly attached to the bottom of solid wood joists so as to create enclosed joist spaces 160 ft3 (4.5 m3) or less in volume, including space below insulation that is laid directly on top or within the ceiling joists in an otherwise sprinklered attic [see 11.2.3.1.4(4)(d)]
  3. Concealed spaces over isolated small roofs, canopies, or porte-cocheres not exceeding 55 ft2 (5.1 m2) in area
Sprinklers shall be permitted to be omitted from exterior exit corridors when the exterior walls of the corridor are at least 50 percent open and when the corridor is entirely of noncombustible construction.

8.15.7.5 *
Sprinklers shall be installed under roofs, canopies, porte-cocheres, balconies, decks, or similar projections greater than 2 ft (0.6 m) wide over areas where combustibles are stored.

Yes however we are not in a fire hazard area. The landscape is pretty desolate. Does that have an affect on NFPA requirements?

I was afraid of that, flat roofs (on which flammable material can collect).
Point being?

The code does not read "where flammable material can collect". It states "where combustibles are stored". Leaf or other litter collecting upon a roof is not justification for sprinklers per NFPA13.

8.15.7.5 *
Sprinklers shall be installed under roofs, canopies, porte-cocheres, balconies, decks, or similar projections greater than 2 ft (0.6 m) wide over areas where combustibles are stored.