• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

This is typical:

49486007292_38de561e3d_b.jpg

Look at the vertical segment of pipe. It seems to me that it should be secured from acting as a lever and either tightening or loosening the upstream pipe fittings. And that's what I told them. What is bothersome is that I had to tell them at all. This type of error tells me that the worker had no training on gas pipe. None. This mistake has got to be on the first page.

Last edited:
Post #3912
Pic #1, No anti-siphon device on the sillcock requirement in CA? Is it possible that the valve was installed prior to code requirement?

Pic #2, Ground rod sticking up grade, preferred it be below grade at inspection but visible. If the armor wasn't touching the earth would you consider that a daisy chain grounding system and allow?

Pic #3, I think the code allows the ground wire below the sidings edge without conduit protection. Here in the mid-west, a house service waterline can't be exposed like that because of freezing.

Post 3913
Pic #2, Flue pipe needs 6-inch clearance from combustibles and flue fasteners?

Post 3915, That sediment trap makes no sense in that location, would it make sense to replace the lower elbow with a tee and install the leg at that location? You got your pipe dope for sure!

Post #3912
Pic #1, No anti-siphon device on the sillcock requirement in CA? Is it possible that the valve was installed prior to code requirement?
Answer 1. Ca does require an anti siphon device. I have never written the correction.

Pic #2, Ground rod sticking up grade, preferred it be below grade at inspection but visible. If the armor wasn't touching the earth would you consider that a daisy chain grounding system and allow?
Answer 2. 10' rod....or so they say. 6" from 8' is not worth the grief. I don't know what you mean by daisy chain.

Pic #3, I think the code allows the ground wire below the sidings edge without conduit protection. Here in the mid-west, a house service waterline can't be exposed like that because of freezing.
Answer 3. That is true enough but when the conductor spans between the house and the rod it is exposed to physical damage. Beyond that, it is a west coast thing to always have cable armor protecting the GEC.

Post 3913
Pic #2, Flue pipe needs 6-inch clearance from combustibles and flue fasteners?
Answer post 3913. Yes.

Post 3915, That sediment trap makes no sense in that location, would it make sense to replace the lower elbow with a tee and install the leg at that location? You got your pipe dope for sure!
Answer post 3915. So now you expect things to make sense? Do you have a code section for that?

Do you have a code section for that?
IFGC
408.4 Sediment trap.
Where a sediment trap is not incorporated as part of the appliance, a sediment trap shall be installed downstream of the appliance shutoff valve as close to the inlet of the appliance as practical. The sediment trap shall be either a tee fitting having a capped nipple of any length installed vertically in the bottommost opening of the tee as illustrated in Figure 408.4 or other device approved as an effective sediment trap. Illuminating appliances, ranges, clothes dryers, decorative vented appliances for installation in vented fireplaces, gas fireplaces and outdoor grills need not be so equipped.

UPC has same language under 1212.9 Sediment trap

When he retires and takes all of these photos and makes a book then he'll make some cents! $$

Name of the book: "All I wanted was a code section for things to make sense!" or
"I hate solar!" or
"I hate people with bird avatars that think their funny!":D

I don't know what you mean by daisy chain.

In electrical and electronic engineering a daisy chain is a wiring scheme in which multiple devices are wired together in sequence or in a ring,[1] similar to a garland of daisy flowers. Other than a full, single loop, systems which contain internal loops cannot be called daisy chains.

Daisy chains may be used for power, analog signals, digital data, or a combination thereof.

The term daisy chain may refer either to large scale devices connected in series, such as a series of power strips plugged into each other to form a single long line of strips, or to the wiring patterns embedded inside of devices. Other examples of devices which can be used to form daisy chains are those based on USB, FireWire, Thunderbolt and Ethernet cables.

We have been loosing the metallic water service pipe ground due to plastic pipe use and an alternative grounding system used here is TWO ground rods no closer than 6-ft with the grounding conductor wire un-broken to each ground rod fastened with a (UL) approved clamp on both rods, hence: (Daisy-chain).

We have been loosing the metallic water service pipe ground due to plastic pipe use and an alternative grounding system used here is TWO ground rods no closer than 6-ft with the grounding conductor wire un-broken to each ground rod fastened with a (UL) approved clamp on both rods, hence: (Daisy-chain).

UL approved? They do not approve anything, they list it. Reminds me of some GFCI receptacles at Harbor Freight, the package said it was "UL Approved", considered it the first clue it was counterfeit merchandise.

Thomas & Betts1/0 to 8 (Solid) AWG Compatible Single-Nut Rod Clamp
Copper Alloy, 2-13/64" OAL, CSA Certified, RoHS Compliant,
UL Listed
7312391-23.jpg

Yes (UL) listed

I was there to perform an inspection because Edison Co. has ceased service and will not resume service until I say OK. The owner would not tell me why Edison cut the power. He said that a tenant had upset Edison and all he wants me to do is email a release to Edison. I was met by a new renter who also had no information to share.

View attachment 6412

A crude modification of the panel has thrown them a curve ball.

View attachment 6413

I was able to talk to an Edison representative. The house had been converted to a marijuana growing operation.

How did I suspect that (smiling).

49585665631_46d34211f8_b.jpg

49585167753_442b642cf0_b.jpg

A structural observation has been performed by a registered civil engineer. "No deficiencies noted"

Well there is one mistake. The rafters do not have a seat cut. So the engineer provided a fix.......with a drawing.

49585167883_a43573fb3d_b.jpg

49585167973_98a4bde876_b.jpg

Sometimes I get close to becoming angry.

Last edited:
The job is a swimming pool. The pool is an in-ground liner type pool.....done with the least possible expense. When I got there I found a solid #8 wire surrounding the pool. It is placed 36"to 48" away from the wall of the pool. I commenced to write a correction stating that the wire shall be within 18 to 24" away.

The owners were there and they became upset. Apparently the wire had been 18" away when another inspector made them move it to where it is now. Within short order they were shouting at me. I tried to leave but they were insistent that I inspect the equipment wiring. By the time that I got done with that they were screaming at me and ordering me off the property. I hate to say it but I think that they deserve the inspector that they want. We will give them that.

49585722981_cacbb75641_b.jpg

49585723006_611569132c_b.jpg

Last edited:
Well son of a gun! What the heck is it doing in the accessability chapter? I guess Chaper 8, finishes would make too much sense. You know how many restrooms I've built that don't meet 1210? Learn something new every day. Thanks!

I'm wondering if other juristictions inturpert "smooth, hard, nonabsorbent surfaces" as painted drywall?

Not allowed, not impact resistant.

NM outdoors ...Love it!....It's probably the structural foam that makes it good. Not to mention that where the wiring enters the boxes is closer than 1.25" to the edge of the stud, so there is that...

The job is a 1200 sq.ft. addition. An engineer performed a structural observation and the work has no deficiencies.

This is a braced wall:

49595921312_d035d90f5d_b.jpg

This is another braced wall:

49595680781_e4e81ced84_b.jpg

The plan here is to install retrofit windows.

49595669491_57573e1a28_b.jpg

This is the second time that I have been there. The first trip was for roof sheathing but there was no ladder to access the roof. He assured me that the plumbing and electrical was inspected before placing the concrete. Some of the concrete is a patch so the empty pipe on the left was an afterthought. That pipe is a sleeve for pex that is yet to be installed.

49595921477_2e74588d06_b.jpg

Last edited:
The job is a swimming pool. The pool is an in-ground liner type pool.....done with the least possible expense. When I got there I found a solid #8 wire surrounding the pool. It is placed 36"to 48" away from the wall of the pool. I commenced to write a correction stating that the wire shall be within 18 to 24" away.

The owners were there and they became upset. Apparently the wire had been 18" away when another inspector made them move it to where it is now. Within short order they were shouting at me. I tried to leave but they were insistent that I inspect the equipment wiring. By the time that I got done with that they were screaming at me and ordering me off the property. I hate to say it but I think that they deserve the inspector that they want. We will give them that.

So when another inspector comes out before you and fails a job do you not have a way to view his/her previous failed comments?

I think the wall bracing has been a learning curve for most of us even engineers. The inset electrical panel is a violation of the BWP, a small hole of 7/8" for wiring would be permitted but not that inset breaker panel also the PWB appears to be lacking in the required fasteners.

Pic #3933, is that temporary ABS plumbing? Will that vent system be raised inside the cabinet later? Nearest vent stack?